Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
danf1970

Re: Turn ON keyboard backlight?

[ Edited ]

The backlight was fine, you don't want the keys so bright that they distract from the display.  You don't need the screen brightness turned all the way down to see them either, I had my screen brightness at 12 or 13 on battery and they are lit enough to see in a darker room, not in a well lit room, but that is not what the feature is for.  Enough light just to make out the keys is all you need, not a blinding light that overpowers and is distracting.  Plus even the numbers and letters on the Edge keys are translucent, so the light shows through the actual letters themselves, unlike others that only have a halo of light around the keys, which is probably why they need to be brighter. 

Punch Card
xe77

I have 0197-26U... no backlighting on this one.. I find the screen illuminates the white letters enough anyway.
[Lenovo Edge 13, Type 0197-26U w/ 4 GB RAM]
Punch Card
Ishbar

The 26U series are supposed to have them.

If your keyboards space bar has a little orange inlay on the left side, that means it's meant to be used with the Function key for a backlight.

It's possible it is just so impossibly dim that you just don't notice, but if you get real close and press FN+Space (or however your  function keyboard is setup in BIOS) there should be a faint blue glow.

If this does not work it's very possible your models keyboard is defunct, which is not unheard of. <-- (happened to me)

Then again, it could just be the half-hearted functionality that is the Thinkpad Edge

What's DOS?
gkonweb

Hi corgana,

did you find any solution for backlight keyboard ?? becoz i too purchased thinkpad edge laptop and it doesn't work..

it would be nice to hear from you

Paper Tape
Corgana

No, if Fn-Spacebar dosen't work then you don't have it. It seems only certain models have it, and most don't. Sort of irritating, but I heard it's not very good illumination anyway.
Paper Tape
Patten

I believe the only Edge computers with back lit keys are those sold through Best Buy.  No CTO model will have the back lit option at this point (or so I have been told by Lenovo sales staff).

What's DOS?
Seemore

Fn + PgUp toggles the light on and off. . .

What's DOS?
ChesneyGirl219

This worked for ME!  Thank you so much.  It was driving me nuts.

Paper Tape
bvlerafon

Hi, 

I just got the new X1 carbon and am having the same problem. 

The keyboard lights up on startup however does not come on later. I have tried FN+Space and FN+PgUp with no luck. 

Any other ideas?