Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
tebbybabes
Accepted Solution

Using the recovery disks for a clean install?

Hello members.  I'm a noob on the forum with what maybe a silly question but since I can't figure out the answer, I'll ask it just the same.

I recently got an edge e420 and am quite quite happy with it.  Lately though, I've decided that most of the stuff that Lenovo put in were "nice" but unnecessary for my needs, e.g. toolbox, powermanager, business-in-a-box, etc.  

So in a quest to clean up my laptop, I've decided it would probably be best to do a clean install of win 7.  

I made rescue and recovery disks on the day the laptop arrived. I think it was 1 DVD and a few CD's.  My question is, will it be possible to do a clean/fresh install of windows 7 with these disks or will it just be like a factory restore of everything?  

Also, whether or not the R&R discs can do a clean install, IF and WHEN I am able to do a clean install, by whatever means, will I be able to get the NECESSARY drivers and stuff with Thinkvantage System Update?

Cheers folks.

Maliha

Re: Using the recovery disks for a clean install?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

1. No, recovery discs can't perform clean installation. They can only do factory restore.

2. Yes, you would be able to get necessary drivers via ThinkVantage System Update. Make sure you don't use device driver updates from Windows Update because sometimes they can cause problems.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Paper Tape
tebbybabes

Re: Using the recovery disks for a clean install?

Thanks for the welcome.  And also thanks for the reply.  I've been reading more and more of the threads and your post confirms my impression that I should pick up the drivers from Lenovo and not the ones from Windows update.   

I'm moving houses at the moment, but once I get connected back to broadband, I think I have a long afternoon ahead of me.  LOL