Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

Windows XP on a new E530

I have no need for Windows 7 and would have ordered my new E530 with XP professional had it been available. I have many specialized applications (video editing, CAD programs, etc.) and all of my other computers are on XP and very stable. I am having compatibility problems with a key program in W7 and/or XP mode on this new machine. I am also bogged down with various owner/permission issues, etc. causing loss of productivity with no benefit. The software vendor has said that I need to set up dual boot at least because I need a non-emulated clean XP install.

A) Will I have any problems if I just wipe the laptop clean and install only a new copy of 32 bit XP professional?

B) Can I get all of the drivers etc without the recovery CD?

C) Will all functions still be supported, including booting from an new mSATA drive that I have ordered? I guess one gauranteed causualty is a 4G ram limit instead of 8G.

Thanks,

George

Hiro
Kudos: 88
Solutions: 22

Re: Windows XP on a new E530

Hey George,

Hello how are you? XP is a great OS and I know of many people who still use it being as so many good software requires and only runs on XP. With that said on your three questions I had some thoughts about what you could do.

A) yes you could but do you have to? No if you have a large enough HDD you can duel boot it if you wanted. If  you do wipe it you will have to re-download you all of the drivers you need. Other then the time it would take to re-download these drivers you should be fine.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073274

You can use the link above to find all the XP drivers for E530.

I would also suggest downloading the System update ThinkVantage Tool:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?LegacyDocID=TVSU-UPDATE

B) Yes the Drivers and software matrix I posted above lets you find and download all the drivers you need. If you have a Recovery CD (made using rescue and recovery) or sent by Lenovo you would have less drivers to install but you don't need it.

C) You did Hit on the 32-bit, 64-bit issues :smileyhappy: now on if your mSATA will work you shouldn't have any problems.

If you have anymore questions or need more help finding drivers and such please post back and I'll be more then happy to help you out.

Best Regards,

Hiro

Did you find a post Awesome? A response just Outstanding? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a pat on the back for helping you out!
Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

If I chose the option of dual boot on the mSATA drive don't I have to creat 2 partitions on the mSATA drive frist?

Does that mean that I start with XP and follow with the W7 recovery disks?

Will the recovery disks know what to do with 2 partitions?

Thanks,

Hiro

Hello George,

If you do a duel boot with your mSATA you will have to create 2 Paritions one for each OS and room enough for the third recovery parition.

You can start with ether XP or Win7 but I suggest you do Win7 first then XP. This removes the issue of the recovery disks knowing or giving you the option to duel boot.

Best Regards,

Hiro

Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a pat on the back for helping you out!
Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

[ Edited ]

Most of the drivers offered are for Windows 7 only. Do you know where to get Windows XP drivers?

What chipset do I have?

Hiro

Hey Ggidzinski,

Here is a link to the drivers you can get from lenovo for Windows XP for your E530 the other ones you will need or want will have to be through Microsoft.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073274

To check your chipset you have to use a third party tool and I have included the link to Intel utility that you can use to do this. As its a third party tool I would ask you check into it first before downloading it, here is the link.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009245.htm

Best Regards,

Hiro

Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

I appreciate the link to the driver page but this is the problem. If you go to this page you will see that there are almost no drivers for XP. Lets go to a specific example. I currently have no sound because there is no XP driver for the Conexant sound function. I have tried other drivers from external sources for Conexant that are for XP but none of them work. Same is true for the Realtek ethernet driver, etc.

For starters, where can I find an XP driver for audio, its not offered on the Lenovo site.
Retired Employee
NINE

hiGgidzinski,

Thank you for your post. I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're facing with your machine, Unfortunately the XP operating system has already Reached it end of the Life Cycle. And because of the Life cycle Lenovo is not able to create drivers that fit the XP system unless they are exsisting older machine which were made during the Windows XP Life cycle.

We really do appologies but there is not much we can do in regards to the XP Operating system.

The E530 is a new machine altogether in the product line, hence that is why most of the drivers in the support site are catered for Windows 7. The only suggestion I can provide you is to go directly to the manufacturers site to get the XP Drivers meant for your system. 

Hope this help, and we do aplolgise for the inconvenieced caused. 

regards

Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

Update:

Because I installed XP on a new drive (mSATA), the boot file for both operating systems is still intact on their respective drives. You have to go into the BIOS when you want to switch and toggle the SAT/ACHI setting as well as the boot order which is working fine for now. XP on the mSATA is fast. I will try the dual boot suggestions later and report back. In the meantime, I am searching for XP driver for a few key functions. I got back into W7 and verified some of the components for the driver search. BTW, the Intel chipset ID utility returns the wrong chipset. It says 6 series and the W7 device manager says 7 series.

The XP drivers that are a priority are:

Conexant 20671 Smart Audio HD

Realtek PCIe card reader

Realtek PCIe GBE family ethernet controller

If anyone finds drivers that work, please report back.

Thanks,

George

Retired Employee
NINE

hi Ggidzinski,

Thanks for the reply,

I was checking through your case for the drivers you request and stumbled upon the Conexant and Realtek Drivers. Its not from lenovo and trying these drivers are entirely at your own risk. I you still like try it the drivers can be found below.

Conexant CX20671 SmartAudio HD Driver 8.32.27.0 for XP:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Conexant-CX20671-SmartAudio-HD-Driver-832270-for-XP-Downlo...

REALTEK DRIVERS 

http://www.realtek.com/

You may want to take alook @ them. Who knows it might help :-D

Do let me know

Regards