Support in other languages: 
alex1906
Topics: 3
Kudos: 81
Solutions: 25

Re: mSata configuration

[ Edited ]

Hey Ggidzinski,

A) Yes, you are able to reload from a recovery CD made by your Laptop.

B) Yes, remove the HDD this would be the safest way.

If I were you I would try to do the installation and dual boot like this:

First remove the HDD, then boot the computer with the recovery CD.  Follow the Install process this will install to the mSATA drive because it will be the default drive.  Once installed let it boot to the desktop just to make sure the install was done correctly. 

C) Restart the computer once finished. Boot with the second OS for dual boot.  Follow install and dual boot steps on options during install.  Once done launch second OS and make sure this was done correctly.  Once done restart computer.  Boot with the first OS installed.  Make sure this is still active and working.  Again turn off computer. Replace original HDD. Boot computer,  log into bios, make sure both the HDD and mSATA are recognized.  Change boot order. mSATA first.  Save and exit. Log into whatever OS you want.

Hopefully this has been helpful.

Alex

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve the problem you encountered? Click Solution Provided to let us know!

What we Do in Life will Echo through Eternity. -Maximus Aurelius
Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

When I load the first OS on to the mSATA with the HDD removed, do I need to set up 2 partitions and install the first OS on the first partition?
alex1906

Actually Ggidzinski,

Just remove the HDD, put the first OS onto the mSATA then when you put the second OS on the mSATA it should prompt you and ask if you want to partition the drive. then it should give you a measuring bar that will allow you to chose how much space you want each partition to have.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve the problem you encountered? Click Solution Provided to let us know!

Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

Sounds easy enough. I will report back after the whole thing is done. Thanks.
alex1906

Good to hear Ggidzinski,

Best of luck, keep us informed of progress.

Hope it helps,

Alex

Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

Does it matter which OS I load first (Lenovo recovery vs my personal XP copy)?
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,311

you would need to load the lenovo recovery first, as it wipes out the entire hdd and reinstall the recovery partition and the partition for the OS.

So in effect your Win XP partition would also be destroyed and written over, if you install the Win XP first and then the recovery partition.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
alex1906

It does not matter which OS you load first. after that OS is on the mSATA go into BIOS to the Start-up menu. Make the mSATA the first thing to start up. Then exit and save changes from BIOS. Once out of BIOS start clicking F12. This will take you to the BOOT MENU. Form here run the DVD or CD drive that will have your second OS in it. This allows you to do a dual boot.

Does not matter what order you do the Operating Systems. just make sure you follow these steps for a successful dual boot.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Blue Screen Again
Ggidzinski

Thanks. Received and installed the new 120G mSATA today. i will try the dual boot install next week.
alex1906

Sounds good.

Let me know how it goes.

Alex