Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
jmorgan23803

Re: thinkpad edge 15 keyboard problem

I have the exact problem on 4 Edge 15 laptops..  New touchpad and keyboard driver did not solve the problem.  Reboot and it works for a while then the problem returns.  Very difficult  to write papers / letters when the keyboard does this.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

All,

We'll revisit with engineering - not sure we have a common cause here.

Some people indicate that cleaning the cable contacts solved the problem, others indicate (if I read this right) that replacing keyboard and palmrest did not fix the problem.

If it works fine with external keyboard, then I wouldn't think it is the system board.  If the contacts being corroded were the issue, then whether cleaning them or replacing the keyboard should solve.  If new keyboard doesn't solve, then it seems either a software or systemboard issue.

Again, I agree it seems something is going on, but not sure you all have same cause, so not sure there is one magic fix.

Jamez will collect additional information and we'll look into this further.  It may help to have a volunteer in the US whose system exhibits this frequently (so we can recreate / see the problem).

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

GBG
Paper Tape
GBG

Hello all,

I posted about 3 months ago regarding the keyboard problem similar to what many of you described. The problem became so bad that I had to have the laptop serviced. Computer was under warranty. Anyway, after 3 weeks in the shop the keyboard is working just fine now. I haven't had a problem now for almost 2 months.

The technician installed a new keyboard and it did not solve the problem. He was then convinced it was a software issue and tried to re-map the keyboard. Again, didn't solve the problem. He then changed the motherboard and now the computer is fine.

The problem seems to be related to the motherboard. It could be due to some of the 'bad' connections, rusted or otherwise, that some of you mentioned. Not sure that's the case with mine. Anyhow, hope this helps some of you out and that my keyboard keeps working. Will post again if something breaks down.

GBG from Toronto

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

For those who are having this issue, appreciate if you can drop me a note and also volunteer your machine to be sent into the lab for them to check on the hardware.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
B-Edwards

Mark - We just bought a used Edge 15 today ... worked fine in the store, but keyboard problems began immediately when we got home.  We can return it, but I'd really rather be part of the solution.   I don't know its history, but we'll be glad to send it to you and let you explore the issue.  If you want to take a look at it, how do we make arrangements?

What's DOS?
EJ92140

JameZ,

I have had my lenovo edge for about a year and half and around september I began having the same issue and have had to use an external keyboard ever since. I recently stumbled across this forum as I still haven't been able to find an answer to have my keyboard fixed. Happy to send my laptop in as a tester  if it allows lenovo to address the problem.

What's DOS?
marley006

Thank you for continuing to work to resolve this issue, JameZ and Mark Lenovo, and for volunteering your computers for diagnosis, B-Edwards and EJ92140.  I know many of us will be keeping an eye on this thread for the testing results.

My girlfriend has been experiencing the same issue with her ThinkPad Edge ('c', 'd', and 'e' keys malfunctioning in exactly the same manner as described numerous times in this thread) since October.  Otherwise, it really is a nice computer.

Paper Tape
aawaiaa

hi all!

I've been reading through this topic, every single post and it's kind of unfortunate to see that this problem seems to occur only with this model of the ThinkPad Edge, and I for one do own this model..

I didn't want to sit around and do nothing, and I also didn't want to call up tech support having to end up sending in my ThinkPad and having it replace only to find out this problem will persist. 

From what i've experimented around with, I found out putting pressure on a certain spot of the palm rest will result in the keyboards having this obnoxoius problem! and btw, i did try out someone's solution about using an eraser to erase the metal tip, that didn't really work out for me. 

I for one, did not have this problem until about 6 or 8 months after owning this ThinkPad Edge model. 

So here' are  my foundings:

When the screws holding the Palm Rest/Touchpad are screwed in default, as in they're securely tight, putting pressure on that specific spot(The RED rectangle with the arrow) of the palm rest result in a direct outcome of the "E D C" keyboard problem.

This is how i basically came to this conclusion. First i tired the eraser trick, and to my surprise it worked! but then couple of weeks passed the problem came back, so I repeated the eraser trick. Before i got to unhooking the keyboard wire(Palm rest/Touchpad already off) I accidently pressed E while the laptop was on and i noticed right away that the Volume didn't go up, which would happen if I pressed E with the problem occuring. I was shocked, and so i tested this out even more. I left the touchpad completely off the laptop and typed a sentence testing all the "infected keys". They worked normally! This meant the eraser didn't really do the trick, it had to be a result of the touchpad with certain contact with the mother board. 

I securely screwed back on the palm rest/touchpad and typed the same sentence again, the problem occured. So this became obvious, the problem lies in that area. I loosened up the screws and to my surprise, the keyboard was functioning normally, i left my laptop in this condition for about 2 weeks until the problem popped up. So i repeated the process from before, took off the palm rest/touchpad, then put it back on without the screws in, and put the screws in loosely. THe problem went away, but came back quite fast this time; however during the times the problem wasn't occuring, I typed regularly, with my palm on the palm rest and my fingers on the keys. I noticed when i put pressure on the left palm, where the Red Rectangle is located in picture, the problem popped up. 

Earlier today, out of no where, i just did this with my palmrest screwed in securely and found out the problem didn't occur when i lifted that certain part of the palm rest with my thumb.... so from reading all this you guys can come to your own conclusion. I hope that what I found can help in solving this very OBNOXIOUS problem. 

WHen i first got this ThinkPad, I knew this was the laptop for me, but when this problem started to happen, i became quite disappointed. 

I am t yping this right now on this laptop, without the palmrest screwed it, but on top of it's default location. Maybe that can help you guys in your fix. 

Sorry if my pictures were not very descriptive or my explanation, i tired my best!

Blue Screen Again
kamranmir99

Yes, exactly.. the issue is in the palm rest left side... i also loosen the screws and lifted it little up.. n now typing without touching the palm rest.... its working fine.. now....

but... admin please tell proper solution of it.. so that we can work easily... :smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
jbinbi

Same issue. E D C keys. Also, noticed the pressure under the left palm.

Didn't read this post, installed all updated driver and win SW as toolbox said. 

Now can't connect to wireless anymore, and still have this problem.

My computer is past warranty. Any ideas. This is a disaster for me right now.