Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: thinkpad edge 15 keyboard problem

All,

It really seems like there are multiple causes for these symptoms - misaligned cable connections, dirty connections, possibly a pinched or damaged cable, or something within the keyboard itself (in the cases where flexing the keyboard changes the results).

Since replacing the keyboard affects all of these, it is impossible for us to say conclusively what is wrong without being able to see some of these systems.   If you are still in warranty, contact service.  If you are outside of warranty, try some of the fixes discussed in the thread or order a replacement keyboard.

If you can spare your system for a week or so, then please work with Cleo so that we can get this sent in to our engineering teams to evaluate.  Sending to service will just result in the keyboard being replaced and will not give us the opportunity to study the situation.  

Since there appear to be multiple causes, we may need several volunteers to have a better chance of identifying any common factors.  

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
krummerkaktus

The thing is:

I am pretty sure that it is not a keyboard problem, but a software problem. Something like an lenovo internal virus, because the problem occures wih thp lpnovo kuyboar#ö as well as with an extprnal kpyboar#ö in any applikation (wor#ö, email, browspr...) at ran#öom timps.it makps thp laptop nearly uspless if you have to writp a lot. I am pretty disappointed, because I bought two of them.

I suggest to check the power manager and the think vantage centpoiur for bugs/viruses, because it happpnp#ö to my laptop shortly aftpr I installpd# thpsp programs for win 7 32.

Paper Tape
Orsin

krummerkaktus - you may simply have another problem. It has systematically been verified by several people that this problem depends somehow on the left-of-mousepad area under the keyboard. When the problem occurs "raising" this area of plastic stops the condition. It re-occurs when pressure is put back on this area of plastic. The problem has existed on several BIOS version, several OS patch levels, as well as several Lenovo software updates.
Blue Screen Again
Steven_CK

Also having this problem..

I've had this laptop for less than a year, so I'm still under warranty. Is it even worth it to get it repaired and lose it for a week when the problem will just come back?

Do I just wait and hope the problem is resolved before my warranty runs out? What are we expected to do? 

What's DOS?
poliklinikum

Betreff: thinkpad edge 15 keyboard problem

Thanks to aawaiaa. Lift up the left plam rest solved the E D C keyboard problem. 

Can somebody show how to isolate that part to get a permanent solution?

I've already tried it without success.

Paper Tape
Orsin

Betreff: thinkpad edge 15 keyboard problem

I can confirm that lifting the left palm rest solves the problem - even if only for a short period of time. If I then keep from pressing on the palm rest the time till the next failure is considerably prolonged. Obviously working like this is unacceptable. This is indeed a hardware problem and should hopefully be quickly localized and resolved by Lenovo.
Blue Screen Again
eternaluxe

Hi, all.  I'm glad that my solution has worked for some of you.  I haven't had an issue since performing the fix myself.

The other solution involving pressure on the left side palmrest... I cannot verify whether this works or not, but that doesn't mean that what I did (remove the top of the laptop) did not emulate the process.  What I mean is, I did relive the pressure over there, but I did it by disassembling the laptop.

I still believe that the allor on the run of planar cables (or possibly the run of the bit that holds it) was not up to quality standards.  I lean towards the cable rather than the connector bit, since the oxidation was even across the surface of the contacts, top and bottom, rather than point specific, which would have been the case had some sort of galvanic reaction caused it.

Lenovo, I'm more than happy to send in my planar cable/ key board for testing.  Send me a recent run replacement. 

Or not.

Soon enough this model will be obsolete and I'll be upgrading.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

eternaluxe,

A special thanks to you and others who have shared work around / alternate solutions.    

All,

While there could be different causes on individual systems, I think the cable itself may be a factor.  We have seen a few example systems that had damage to the keyboard cable resulting from it being pinched.   This will probably affect a relatively small number of systems and if you seem to have these symptoms, please contact service.

Service can replace the keyboard and ensure the cable is protected when the new part is installed.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
RodneyL

[ Edited ]

I work support for a computer company that sells lenovo systems. We have a client with this exact issue (hit e, get p, etc etc). Cleaning the cable ends with an eraser fixed it for about 2 months, but the issue returned yesterday.

I called support (under warranty) and even referenced this thread to them, and the (very polite and helpful) man on the phone is sending a new keypad.

Based on other comments I doubt this will fix the issue, but I did not want to argue the point with him, specially since there seems to be no permanent solution based off of the discussion here. I guess that has to be the first step.

Edit: he has a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15 0301-J9U

Fanfold Paper
dvaresco

Mark, I tried contacting Cleo a month ago and nothing.  So, is there any hope for my customer's now out of warranty laptop to get this system fixed?  I mentioned to Cleo I would be willing to send the system to you guys for further evaluation.

Thanks,

Dino