Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ajwehan
Accepted Solution

thinkpad edge 15 keyboard problem

hey, 

suddenly my keyboard is typing double letters when u press certain keys. 

so for example when i press space i get space + enter

i press left arrow and i get left arrow and B

whats going on? 

it is a persistent problem with like 7 keys on the keyboard. 

any hints or tips other than sending it for warranty service? i dont want to wait for like 2 weeks.. 

thanks in advance!

What's DOS?
rka_krik

Re: thinkpad edge 15 keyboard problem

I have same notebook and same problem...

Blue Screen Again
JosepeVerdi

I have the same problem.  It is intermitent though.

When I type an "e" character it sometimes brings up the volume bar and types a "p" character (also gives me an error ding sound).  The D key also does this, typing a "\" in the place of a "d" (bringing up the microphone symbol.  THe "c" key also does this, inserting a "b" carriage return, then "|"
If I give it some time, 3-5 seconds, it stops doing this, but then randomly returns in the process of typing.  I have never dropped or spilled any thing on this computer.  It appears to be a software glitch relating to the hot keys for bringing up the volume and mic settings. 

Very frustrating!  Anyone have solutions?

Blue Screen Again
Edam

Mine has also started doing this all of a sudden - it stops me being able to log on!

I've no idea what causes it but I get EXACTLY the same issues, notably:

e key affects volume and types a p

d key tries to turn the mic on and off and types random charactprs (#)

c does ~b

This is clearly a massive problem which replicates on a number of users' machines - this needs fixing! What's happened!?

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Appreciate if you could boot into safe mode to test if this issue persist on safe mode. Also if those who has a Linux, appreciate if you could test it as well.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
smjs13

I have the same problem. I have booted into Safe Mode and the same behavior.  I have updated BIOS, and went through the lenovo update programs with no success.  

Blue Screen Again
Edam

Major keyboard problems - keys producing odd characters & functions

p

#;

b

~

Today my keyboard has developed a fault whereby the keys I press do not produce the correct characters on screen. The culprits are:

'e' - produces a 'p' and tries other functions (adjusting volume, right clicks, del etc... usually a combination)

'd' - produces '#;' for some reason and also turns the microphone on and off

'c' - produces 'b' then enter then '~'

'3' - produces a '0'

F2, F3 and F4 also do a number of odd things (right clicks, deletes, so on and so forth)

I've no idea what's causing it and looking at the forum other users have the same problem with the same effect but no solution is offered!

I notice all the keys affected are all next to each other, running down the keyboard in a sort of reversed italic T shape (look at the location of all the keys)

It's just started out of the blue, I don't have a virus and I've not installed anything recently.

I'm on a Thinkpad Edge 15 0301GWG

Thanks!

Paper Tape
smjs13

Re: Major keyboard problems - keys producing odd characters & functions

I have the EXACT same behavior which started a few days ago.  Today, it rarely will behave normally, it keeps typing the above characters.  Keys are 2, 3, e, d, c , 

This is rendering laptop almost useless.  I have had to add an external keyboard which is not good while travelling. 

Retired Employee
JameZ

@smjs13 and Edam,

If by booting into safe mode and using external keyboard still shows this issue, please contact service to get the keyboard checked.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Blue Screen Again
Edam

Thanks James, I'll ty an external in safe mode soon. It's hard to test thought because you can never tell exactly when the problem is going to present itself. It's extremely sporadic  and there doesn't appear to be any pattern dictating when it's going to happen.