Support in other languages: 
WWAN
pghFL

Re: 3G Activation Issues AT&T and Verizon.1838 with built-in 3g.

----thats only for the US providers so that they can screw customers.----

LOL It's funny cause it's true.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Paper Tape
TooMuchHappenin

[ Edited ]

Mine is a 1838 3G capable but I installed the modem myself (Gobi 3000: comes with a SIM card) and I have the 2GB/month AT&T plan running on it.  I took it to a AT&T store in N. Virginia (this was on 2011-10-17) and at that time, the Gobi 3000 had not been cleared by the FCC for use on a tablet (then, it was only approved for use on Lenovo laptops / netbooks).  So when the AT&T rep entered the modem's MEID / IMEI# / whatever into the system, the system would only accept (I think) a 5 GB/month plan because that was the expected data usage with a laptop / netbook.  

So what the AT&T rep did was put in a MEID / IMEI # for a modem associated with a different make of tablet and associated it with my SIM card information, so that's how they got the 2GB plan in place for my 1838.  Somebody else (not sure where in the US) had also done it the same way before I did.  Been working just fine since then.

Punch Card
paperclip69

Ah yes sorry, I forgot about the law over here that says the sim card has to be removable, really glad it is now, couldn't be bothered with hassle you guys are having
What's DOS?
morpheus459

Good evening all,

I think I've solved it.  I'm writing to you on my 1838 over the Verizon 3g network.

The first level customer service and indeed no one at the corporate store I went to know what's going on with this extremely new technology.  Apparently our Gobi 3000 modems are not in the usual retail system.

After ten hours of phone tag and pushing through three levels of support, very politely, I might add, I have learned that the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet with my MEID is referred to as an Open Development Device.

The level three tech guy and I worked out this set of instructions:

Go to settings --> Mobile Networks --> Activate Device and choose "Activate by Phone"

Call Verizon and request to activate an Open Development Device

Provide the MEID, and choose a plan.  Assure them that this is an Android Tablet.

After you get an order number, and a phone number for the device, you press the button to the left of the activation screen when they tell you that you're ready to activate the device.

Thank them politely and enjoy your 3G!

Cheers!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
shattergard

Your input solved my problem- I am now up and running on a 3g 2gig 25.00 plan. FYI: the tech used an meid etc from Apple Ipad and that allowed the cheaper AT&T plan to opperatly correctly.

Thanks again
Paper Tape
andrewc87

I just sent in my tablet to Lenovo to get the gobi 3000 chip replaced because my wouldn't activate on Verizon as well. They "fixed" the issue by putting in an Ericsson chip tied to AT&T only. So, just an FYI if you send it in make sure they note to put back in a gobi chipset...

Fanfold Paper
KateNCSU13

Morpheus,

Are you using the monthly plan or the pre-paid plan for Verizon?  I want to use the pre-paid plan but I have been told that Verizon does not offer the pre-paid plan for the ThinkPad Tablet.

Thanks!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
shattergard

PROBLEM SOLVED - Activation Issues AT&T and Verizon.1838 with built-in 3g.

[ Edited ]

Take the tab to a AT&T store and have them input the serial # of a Apple Ipad and bam the Lenovo tablet works perfectly with the 2g $25.00 plan. (the trick is - the Ipad cant be a unit in the store inventory. It must be a unit that is no longer in there system (meaning it was sold)  The manager of the AT&T store used who personal Ipad serial # and all was good.

:smileylol: