Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
shattergard
Accepted Solution

3G Activation Issues AT&T and Verizon.1838 with built-in 3g.

[ Edited ]

Hi

I purchased the tablet through the Lenovo website. Upon receipt- I attempted to activate the (2g $ 25.00 dollar) monthly plan through AT&T via the Lenovo built-in activation center on the tablet. After signing up- I received an email to call Lenovo which I did- I was then told even know Lenovo displays the plan right on the tablet out of the box- it is not available and I would have to purchase a $60.00 dollar 5 gig monthly AT&T plan. So with much frasutration I attempted to activate the tablet through verizon as they too are shown on the tablet as a preferred vendor. So now I went to the Verizon store and was told by the manager that the Verizon system is not recognizing the built -in wireless cards serial 3s etc.

I even tried with sprint and they too said they could not activate. Does anyone have any suggestions? I should not be forced into a $60.00 AT&T monthly plan- especially the fact that Lenovo displays the cheaper AT&T plan on the Lenovo tablet.

Has anyone run into the same issues. If so- do you have any suggestions? I am ready to return the tablet as Lenovo has been of no help at all.

Thanks in advance.

JF

SCSI Port
h16h

Re: 3G Activation Issues AT&T and Verizon.1838 with built-in 3g.

I'm also experiencing lack of support from Lenovo. Support staff in Atlanta know nothing.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
shattergard

Hi

Are you having a 3g carrier issue as well?

Thanks very much

JF

Paper Tape
mmaize

Same problem in Maryland. it was Lenovo's decision not to create a better contract with the mobile carriers. All of the carriers I contacted had a pay as you go data plan for the iPad but not for Lenovo tablets. Very unfortunate for an otherwise good product.
Paper Tape
POGGOC

[ Edited ]

I', also having the same problem in Ireland!
When i press activate device.
It just comes up with the same page .
"mobile Broadband"
"To signup and activate: Please contact your service provider."

"Important: you may be asked for the following information when activating"

And follows with

Imei number:
Sim number (ICCID) [SOMETIMES ITS DOESN'T APPEAR /NULL]
Subscriber identification (imsi): [SOMETIMES ITS DOESN'T APPEAR /NULL]
Adapter description: Ericsson F5521gw
Driver Version: MBM U300-ril 3.1.0.1
Firmware version :R3B01"

Irish Network mobile broadband providers, Like Vodafone , O2 , Three, and Meteor are all 3g/ Umts capable networks also Meteor is EV-DO compatible.

yet when i click activate i thought it is like a Wizard Setup screen and it just displays this "Contact your service provider" page and no buttons and no way to proceed to the next step. Of connecting the Modem.

Also currently the Providers are not aware of any way or know how in relation to activation of Broadband software on tablets as they stated from reps " Its a pointless excerise to Minimize a Market by restricting Network providers to a certain category , especially in Ireland where all providers rely on a 2100mhz frequency".

They seem to think it is based on 3 options:

1. A mistake in programming by Lenovo (more likely).

2. They require only certain Recongised network providers ( You scratch my back i scratch yours)

3. They possibly overlooked the fact that Tablets are a more Personal item that just a Business utensil and are only so far been used to access the Internet by Mobile Broadband via bill pay plans sims only.

I feel the later number 3 personally , I think there is a work around using pre paid sims but involves a Pc with internet, sim card with credit and a company network provider which allows internet use via pre paid monthly plans like Mobile broadnand dongles. Which needs a dialer software to connect to the server via *99# etc.

Apn settings which is more advanced in the tablet.

and a way of using the modem to send inquiries to the message center via texts which all usb dongles do comunicate with their servers.

Punch Card
paperclip69

i find this really strange, i have the uk version of the tablet.

all i did was get a vodafone data modem on contract which gives me 1gb for just under £10 a month, i then just took the sim card out and put it in my tablet, all i had to do was go and change the apn to a vodafone one, i had a pay as you go sim and did the same thing but i had to manually create an apn for that but again no problems, no need for activation as the sim works out of the box

cheers

tom

Paper Tape
POGGOC

Well today i found that Vodafone brought out a new Sim Card.

So i purchased a mobile broadband Sim Card.

I registered the mobile broadband pass via PC 5gb download allowance.

Plugged the sim into slot (Tpt turned off) .

turned on the device and selected the propper APN profile.

Usually 4 depending on provider.

i Selected the APN profile which wasn't the two WAP settings , but the Profile that was for Mobile BroadBand.

hey presto automactically connected.

ps .The Activation option is BullS**t , just like a pop up ad.

el
What's DOS?
el

Same issue in California, no provider can recognize the tablet. I had to return it.
Paper Tape
kawright74

Yup!  Exact same situation for me.  Running around banging my head as I attempted to get the $25 AT&T 2gig plan (did the whole Verizon attempt as well).  However, where I finally found refuge was with T-Mobile.  I tried their 1gig $30/month no contract deal and it worked well.  Also, I see Virgin Mobile offers a 500 mb $20/month no contract deal which I might give a go next.

Lenovo really scewed the pooch on this one.  I do love the tablet but the 3G fiasco is such a laugh.  They should be beyond ashamed of this mess.

802.11n
Volker1

POGGOC wrote:

I', also having the same problem in Ireland!
When i press activate device.

I'm on 3 Ireland and it works like a charm, though all Irish carriers should work just as well. The "activate device" dialog is useless, thats only for the US providers so that they can screw customers. For the rest of the world you can just go into any cell phone shop, buy a prepaid sim card with data, and pop it into the tablet. The APN settings should already be in the on-board database, I did not have to do anything beyord that.