Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
mfriedel

Re: Successfully completed 3G upgrade

So I've gotten the 3g card and the device seems to detect it fine. However I'm running into a problem with being able to get on a 2Gig tablet plan . VZW says that I can't do the 2gig tablet plan since the MEID shows as a laptop to them. I'm assuming this is since the wireless card is also used in Lenovo's laptops, Are there any plans to update the carriers that these cards are used in tablets as well so the cheaper "tablet" plans can be used?

802.11n
Volker1

mfriedel wrote:

So I've gotten the 3g card and the device seems to detect it fine. However I'm running into a problem with being able to get on a 2Gig tablet plan . VZW says that I can't do the 2gig tablet plan since the MEID shows as a laptop to them. I'm assuming this is since the wireless card is also used in Lenovo's laptops, Are there any plans to update the carriers that these cards are used in tablets as well so the cheaper "tablet" plans can be used?

I don't think the card will ever qualify for a tablet plan since it was originally sold for laptops.

On the plus side, once the TPT with (CDMA-) WWan is on sale we'll be able to pull the WWan card, put it into a laptop, and sign up for the tablet plan :smileytongue: 

Fanfold Paper
pdl099

Well, successfully installed the WWAN card tonight.  Took about 5 minutes.  Rebooted.  Had a little trouble getting the 3g activated.  I activated the unit on the AT&T network.  No 3g... yet.  I checked my APN settings, nothing there, so I filled in the data for a new APN.  When I went to save it, it just blanked out.  After several attempts, I rebooted the machine, went back into the mobile settings and... surprise! the APN settings were there.  So, after you activate the unit, reboot, and the settings for the AT&T network should be there.  Surfing on 3g -- pretty quick on the tablet!

PS: my unit had the red and blue leads capped.

Fanfold Paper
mfriedel

Got mine working last night too. ATT was able to get me on their 2gig month to month tablet plan at once of their stores, but it took some hacking on their end. I think it involved selecting a base cell plan, scanning another 3g tablet when adding the 2gig plan, then removing the base cell plan. The online activation built into the settings app didn't work for att, had to use the "other" option. As a note, trying to use the online activation from the settings app will put you into a 2 year contact, at least for VZW until I find out and cancelled.
802.11n
bogatyr

Can anyone take pictures of where to open the tablet up at? I took out the two screws but I don't see a slot to slide a tool in to pull it apart and I don't want to break it.
802.11n
Volker1

bogatyr wrote:
Can anyone take pictures of where to open the tablet up at?

You can watch Lenovo's service training video at

http://lenovo.vo.llnwd.net/o16/TP_tablet/player.html

After the two screws you need a spudger and pry off the plastic back cover

802.11n
bogatyr

Thanks for the link!
Lenovo Staff
Ken

Once we get approval from the carriers and ship the tablet with a 3G module, they will then recognize that it is a tablet and will have no problem signing up customers on their tablet plans. The 3G tablet module will be a different SKU than the notebook module.

802.11n
bogatyr

Personally I like that it shows up as a laptop right now. I have an unlimited laptop 3G plan on Verizon that I'll be transferring over to it as soon as I can install the modem.
Serial Port
bishopkc

What TPT models numbers are you perfroming this on?  

I am interested in doing this also but I do not know if it is possible on my ThinkPad Tablet - 16GB with WiFi (model number 183822U).  

BTW....Thanks for all the info.