Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
Volker1

Re: 3G upgradable?

As far as I know all tablets/smartphones require custom tools to open. Just look at the teardowns at ifixit.com. Its just the form factor is so small that you have barely any space for screws etc. So even if the 3G card would be openly sold, how would you possibly get it in there?

HDMI
Planemaker

I have an Android phone with an unlimited data plan that I can use to create a wifi hot spot to connect my thinkpad to.  I will always carrry my Android phone and have no plans of getting rid of it.  Therefore, I see no need to have 3G, and pay for a plan, when I connect through the phone.

WWAN
pghFL

Found this on the pc mag site, which would be the only way I might be interested in 3G, if this is true. I'll wait to see how it shakes out.

--3G is apparently coming in October via AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon, but without a contract. Instead 3G will be sold via a variety of day-pass options.--

See paragraph four.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391710,00.asp

Interesting and very smart IMO, if it is true.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
chartmarker

[ Edited ]

I don't want or need the 3G becouse I will be using the 4G from my Verizon plan I have now.

802.11n
bogatyr

3G with SIM offers options when traveling abroad and my Verizon 4G w/Hotspot phone doesn't work :smileywink:

However, I opted to not wait.

Punch Card
SPrime

I don't need 3G and would not pay for a data plan in addition to my phone, but why do you put a sim slot on a device that serves no purpose?
IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive.
802.11n
bogatyr

It's cheaper to have one body design rather than several to fit different features. Just like laptops which have options, the ones without the options have spaces where they would go.

Punch Card
SPrime

I agree, if you put a blank to cover the slot or port, but the sim card slot is listed as a device if you click on the tech specs pdf file on the order page. No big deal to me, it just seems strange. My ThinkPad was ordered on the 23rd.
IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive.
SCSI Port
DUTCHvanAtlanta

In addition to computers, you would be amazed at the slots, cables and plugs that are unused but present in most cars; and are there to attach options.

HDMI
Planemaker

It is going to be interesting to see because everybody says that the first units cannot be upgraded to 3G because they but, when I look at my order i have a line item like this:

0A93080  SBB WWAN MISC PARTS - WWAN