Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
xyzxyz

Re: [App] Quill - handwritten notes (v3)

Anyone experiences stroke loss?

In v2 and v3, when writing characters or drawing with a lot of discrete strokes, Quill seems to lose strokes time and again.  Cursive characters are fine.

I don't feel the problem in v1.  Is it because v1 has a non-realtime version of pressure sensitivity, which less affects the performance?

WWAN
pghFL

I experienced the same stroke loss.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Fanfold Paper
davidconeff

[ Edited ]

Great app! Thanks for going the open-source route, and using true-vector drawing as it should be. Saves sooo much on space and processor power. I have a convertible XP tablet laptop as well, and I can tell you.. there are very few apps that actually implement vector drawing on any platform, and it's quite disappointing. Windows Journal still remains the best for XP Tablet, yet there's a lot of basic features missing with it.

Feature requests for the Android Quill (humbly):
* tear-dropper for color selection from the drawing (important for the artists around here... there's no way right now to find out what that color you just used earlier was if you select another)
* pdf annotation (I know it's a difficult one to implement... maybe better to do it as a separate app or not within your design goals at the moment, but one of the major reasons I bought the TPT was to annotate PDFs). If you can preserve the vector nature of the drawings in the export / save of a PDF annotation, you are a god. I know it's possible, just not necessarily easy.
* loop selection of vectors for moving strokes around on the page and resizing. Not quite sure what gesture would be obvious to use for the resizing, but moving around / selection shouldn't be too hard to implement. Something similar to what XP's Journal can do for XP tablet.
* an option to rotate the screen. I must prefer landscape to portrait, and apps that don't give me the option just annoy the heck out of me. Also, if I'm going to be annotating PDFs, it will need to be in landscape so the text isn't crazy small. turns out that's already there.. woops.

Otherwise, this app is about as fully featured as it needs to be. Amazing how quickly you got this developed!

I'd gladly send a Paypal payment of $20 wherever you like if you could implement both of these. Just send me a PM.

Moderator edit: email masked to keep it out of the way of spambots.

Punch Card
cfdevkev

The missing strokes are happening because the pen is triggering the double tap to zoom feature. This is not obvious if you are using portrait or landscape aspect ratios (no zoom). Using stylus only with double tap on, or using stylus and touch with double tap off will work temporarily.
802.11n
Volker1

cfdevkev wrote:
The missing strokes are happening because the pen is triggering the double tap to zoom feature. This is not obvious if you are using portrait or landscape aspect ratios (no zoom). Using stylus only with double tap on, or using stylus and touch with double tap off will work temporarily.

True, the combination "Pen only = off" and "double-tap to zoom = on" is not very useful. Well it was useful to me so I can test it in the Android emulator which doesn't have a pen. I'll probably rearrange the preferences in the future so that this combination can't be selected.

HDMI
vijil

[ Edited ]

This is the same problem that SketchBookPro is having for art = the ondoubletap listener messes it up.  It makes the app unusable on a TPT and the same is true here.  However in Quill it can be turned off, unlike in SBP.

A better solution might be zoom/pan buttons in the corner or, (and this would be the ideal solution) touch input only being recognised if it's multitouch.

By that I mean zooming and panning work by touch but drawing is reserved for the pen.  I'm thinking the multitouch wouldn't have problems with accidental triggering due to the palm to anywhere near the same extent as if it registers single touch, especially if writepad style palm rejection is incorporated.

(.jpg pretty plz :smileytongue:)

Punch Card
cfdevkev

Volker1 wrote:

cfdevkev wrote:

True, the combination "Pen only = off" and "double-tap to zoom = on" is not very useful. Well it was useful to me so I can test it in the Android emulator which doesn't have a pen. I'll probably rearrange the preferences in the future so that this combination can't be selected.

Completely understandable for testing; just posting the information for those wondering what is happening. I started playing around with the pen as well but you obviously have more free time than I do right now. I am still happy to contribute whenever I can find a few minutes here or there.

SCSI Port
wosto

Your app gets more awesome with each new version. I like how quick you are adding functionality and the fact that you are taking feature requests from users seriously.

I'm officially on the bandwagon and heading to the Market now to buy.

Thanks!
Fanfold Paper
daharoni

Hey guys,
I think we should all try and rate/review this app on the Android Market if we have time. The developer is putting in a lot of time and listening to all our requests so the least we can do if give him a good review. Follow this link to review
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.write.Quill&feature=search_result
FDP
Token Ring
FDP

Thanks for posting the link daharoni, I swear it isn't obvious/possible? to post feedback from my TPT (only my phone, which couldn't find Quill in the market!).

An update on use, I've found that Quill completely changes my pen experience on the TPT. Suddenly I've found myself actually being able to use the tablet for taking notes as I initially envisioned. There is something semi-magical about fluidly scribbling out notes, then exporting them to pdf, where I can tag and annotate further, then finally sending them off to be wirelessly printed for hard-copy, all from my TPT.

Lenovo, you should sponsor Volker, his work cannot cost much compared to what you would normally shell out for custom programs, and unlike all that junk HTC threw on the flyer (or, sorry to say it, the Notes Mobile app that you bundled with the TPT) this is a fantastic and working notes solution with a rapid rate improvement.  I think it would do a great deal for your credibility among the users if you supported projects like this that improve the TPT experience for existing users. Also, this makes your tablet look orders of magnitude better than Notes Mobile. I've finally been able to get a "wow" reaction out of people who previously thought that it looked impractical for note taking.

-FDP