Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
thinkpadtab_fan

Battery drain after OTA 2.5/build 089?

I have just updated my tpt--didn't realize that there was a hang in checking for updates, so I just installed 3 sequentially over the course of three days.  After the first, there was a significant battery drain issue which was resolved by the second update (076).  After the last, the battery issue is back: heavy consumption in standby, slow charging, etc.

Am I special or has anyone else seen this?  Can I roll back/uninstall the update and then reinstall?  Should I?  Guidance, please.

HDMI
mtalinm

Re: Battery drain after OTA 2.5/build 089?

the battery life on this thing is so bad it's hard to tell whether it's the update, the mAh, the fact that it can't gracefully deal with wifi in sleep (prolly Android's fault), etc... I've given up
802.11n
is1981

mtalinm,

This one is not the answer the original poster is looking for. As he wrote, he did the updates on different days and observed a different behavior so there is a chance he is right and something gone wrong with battery behavior after the last update.

I observed an odd behavior with the battery too, but I applied all updates from 0065_WE to 0089_WE on less than twenty minutes from the recovery kernel so I cannot really say what OTA performs better. I can only say that found an annoying problem with 3G being continuously run on the slate (even not having a SIM card installed on the tablet). Thanks to ameridian and slpin we tracked the bug and were able to disable the WWAN card by setting the airplane mode plus Wi-Fi.

Perhaps this trick will help improving battery performance on the original poster's tablet too.

However, one of the most recent OTA updates applied a firmware upgrade on the battery. I see not an obvious way to check if firmware on the battery has been updated after a failing (hanged) OTA upgrade or if re-applying a pre-0089 OTA is possible now.

Would it be possible for Lenovo giving us a tool that shows the firmware release running on our batteries or, even best, a signed update that can be used to upgrade the battery firmware alone for those users that are now post-OTA 2.0?
Fanfold Paper
thinkpadtab_fan

Thank you! This is precisely what I was looking for. I second the motion of a utility to view update/firmware versions as well as a "rollback" option. Asking a lot--and they probably have enough on their plate prepping for ICS. However, it would be nice to be able to pick and choose: if I see that none of the bugs an update is addressing affect me, it would be nice to be able to ignore/not install.
Fanfold Paper
thinkpadtab_fan

I spoke too soon: using Airplane Mode = on and enabling wi-fi has not fixed the issue.  Drain is so bad that I've consumed 10% of the battery in half an hour of light web browsing.  The third update hung on restart and I did a hard shutdown by depressing the power button.  After starting again and going through the update process, it said the update was successful.

Guidance on how to reinstall an update, please.