Support in other languages: 
802.11n
is1981

Re: Can Jamon please come in and write about your experience? (others are welcomed too, of course)

[ Edited ]

Jamon wrote:
When you're using it every day for something kind of important, and the power button breaks, it's easier to use the microUSB to wake it from sleep. Then, as long as you can still get it to charge, propping it up just right is easier than sending it in. Then, when it doesn't even turn on, it'd be nice to find a way to get the files off it first, in case it's stolen, damaged, or replaced. Plus, there's still that curiosity, why it's not turning on, and if you can figure it out.
  1. Use the warranty provided by the manufacturer instead of voiding it.
  2. Back up your data, as with any other computing device. Lenovo made it very easy with ArcSync.
  3. If you have important data on the slate, encrypt it. It is very easy on the ThinkPad slate tablet.
  4. You had curiosity about why it was not turning on, so you opened it... you are joking, right?
Token Ring
Thjalfi

Re: Can Jamon please come in and write about your experience? (others are welcomed too, of course)

@Jamon:

Have you tried the HTC Flyer? The OS is much more responsive and fluid than on the TPT. The pen is also N-Trig and it works just as well. You can update the Flyer to Android 3 to make full use of the pen. The only drawback is, that the screen is only 7''. Maybe you should give it a try, since you can get it for half the price of a TPT.

Regarding your review of the TPT:

I fully share your sentiment. I have the TPT since it was released and it is an excellent device when it works, plus right now it is the only one of its kind. I really like it, but its flaws are also very frustrating at times. I guess sooner or later everybody's power button will break, so maybe Lenovo should initiate a callback. Luckily, I was able to repair mine myself, also strengthening the support of the little box, so it hopefully won't come off again soon. 

Thanks for your thoughts, it was interesting to read. 

When someone is helpful to you, thank them by giving them a kudo. 18382BG ThinkPadTablet_A400_03_0070_0132_WE
Punch Card
Jamon

Backing up your data is good advice, and I do, but there's been changes since the last backup, and now it won't turn on. What would you do in that situation? You cannot simply send it in for repair, especially after reading reports online from people who had theirs returned with data wiped. You need a way to turn it on long enough to get the files, which involves having it open, and trying to find out what's wrong.

The red light, when it blinks sometimes while trying to start, flashes in a specific pattern. From memory, there's a main pulse, then rapid little flashes, and the cycle repeats for as long as you have the power button held in the on state. The microUSB port appears connected, it didn't break off or anything. Maybe there's a problem inside, or maybe the cable I got isn't the right specs for charging.

I guess I'll buy the dock, to see if that can get it to work again. Otherwise, I'll have to buy another one, and try to swap SSD. Then, I'm not even sure it's worth sending it in, because I read from others who had their warranty denied. Mine has lots of little problems, like how the USB keyboard never worked, the power switch inside is completely broke off, the microUSB has issues, the volume up switch broke off like the power one, and it might've just been the battery but the pen wasn't working towards the end. I bought it early after they were released, so there might've even been improvements in the manufacturing process. I even openly admit I've dropped it, from 2--5 feet indoors onto rubbery but hard surface. Seems complicated, like they might fix some things and not others, or deny it completely, or charge an unfair price for repairs. Might be easier to just buy a new one.

I have not tried the HTC Flyer. I was seriously considering buying it prior to the ThinkPad Tablet, as I'd been watching closely for silent tablets with active stylus. But the ThinkPad Tablet seemed worth the wait. As I recall, the Flyer didn't have USB host for keyboards. I also read that the pen input was not fully integrated, so you could not use it everywhere. I will give it another look. There's also the Samsung Galaxy Note with S-Pen, and more interesting, the Galaxy Note 10.1 that is said to be planned for this summer, possibly with quad-core 1.5GHz Exynos processor, but probably with dual-core 1.4GHz.

Actually, I just watched some videos of the Galaxy Note 10.1, and that might be the one to get. There's lots of speculation right now, but the S-Pen seems to show pressure sensitivity in Photoshop Touch, and it is written by multiple sources that the technology behind it is developed by Wacom. It also has a PLS screen, which is basically IPS, and USB host. The screen is the same size and resolution as the ThinkPad Tablet, it's 21% lighter weight, thinner, and the battery is said to have twice the mAh. In the videos, it appears the software is maturing for pen. It also comes with Android 4.0 ICS.

I'll get the dock, and hopefully that'll help me turn the ThinkPad Tablet on, to backup my files, and then I'll call to see what they can do to fix it. But my eye is on the Galaxy Note now.

The reason why I think the pen feels like you must be deliberate, is because it seems to work differently than Wacom. The N-Trig has a battery in it, and so I think there's a switch that doesn't send a signal until the pen tip is pressed far enough. That must be why I feel I have to press it first, then make movements. That'd explain why there's loss of strokes when you write fast, because you end up not pressing down far enough as the pen just loosely coasts through loose motions. But with Wacom, there is no battery in the pen, so there is no switch to press down before you can write. That allows you to write fast and light, while still registering the movements. But it'd still need to know when you're pressing, so maybe that doesn't fully explain the issue. Maybe the N-Trig pen just isn't designed as well. I'm comparing the tip of the Wacom Intuos pen to that of the ThinkPad Tablet, and they are very different. The N-Trig is stiff, with barely any tip movement. The Wacom pen has a looser feel, with a deeper spring-like action. Maybe if they just made the pen tip have a softer lighter action, where the slightest touch would make contact, then it'd perform just as fluidly as the Wacom.

P.S. When I first tried to submit this reply, the forum software said there was an error, authentication mismatch I think it was, and gave no path of recourse, so that you simply lost everything you wrote. Usually if you hit the back button the web browser will fill-in whatever was in the textfield, so you can copy/paste and resubmit. But, this forum software behaves differently, so the textfield was not auto-filled. Luckily by hitting forward, the browser still remembered the data being posted, so if I hit refresh it'd repost it. But there was still an error, so I had to record the raw packet of data being sent, then export it to ASCII and clean out the noise and HTML tags to get the text I originally tried to submit.

Token Ring
Thjalfi

[ Edited ]

Well, Backup should of course be to a separate medium. I back up my data to the external SD card, so in case the TPT will not turn on at all, I can take out all the data with the card.

As I said, the stock Android and Sense Version of the Flyer had the pen very badly integrated and I was very disappointed. I even thought about sending it back, because the pen was practically useless. Luckily I then read about the pen being freed with further OS update, so after applying all OTA updates it worked fine. As a matter of fact it works just like on the TPT and since it's the same technology, you can even use the TPT pen on the Flyer and vice versa. So if you already have the TPT pen you can even save a couple of bucks because you don't have to buy the Flyer pen.

The Galaxy Note has a strange size for my taste. It is too big for a phone, but too small for a tablet, sort of like the Dell Streak. The Galaxy Note 10 does look interesting, though. 

When someone is helpful to you, thank them by giving them a kudo. 18382BG ThinkPadTablet_A400_03_0070_0132_WE