Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
brillat

Charging with other than the factory charger

I'm trying to get my TPT to charge with anything other than the charger that came with it.  I have several different iPad chargers - all of which output 2A or more and the necessary 5V.  However, whenever I plug in anything other than the included charger, the lighning bolt shows up in the battery icon for only a few seconds, then goes out.  This includes USB charging it with my PC.

Anyone know how to get this to charge with anything other than factory charger?

Thanks!

802.11n
splotz

Re: Charging with other than the factory charger

[ Edited ]

I think it has something to do with the 5.35V of the factory charger.

Somehow it checks the power of the supply (edit: by the voltagelevel when first time plugged in) and charges (as far as i have seen it with a power meter)

- with full power

- "half" power (usb) ?

- not at all

I would guess the cable of the "other" chargers are to thin/long to simulate even an USB-port (edit: to much losses the voltage goes down).

When i use a to long USB-extension the charger also does not charge at all, with a short extension it runs at " half power".

edit: I would be carefull with other voltages higher then the 5.35 of the charger until knowing how the docking station is able to charge it quicker
____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

Token Ring
obscure_detour

I can charge with a usb cable from my PC. My Kindle charger does not work, the lightning bolt symbol shows for about 30 seconds and then it goes away. However, my Nexus One HTC charger works fine for charging. Interesting.

Punch Card
Techkidd4400

I think the critical factor is that the charger specs must match the specs on the Lenovo charger - 5.35V. So my iPhone charger, for example, works fine, but an older ipod usb charger does not. Check the specs.
WWAN
pghFL

Which version iPhone?
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
zebcrs

Is there anyone who has the docking? It has a 65W charger and shall be able to charge with system running at maximum.
Now if I charge with the TPT powered up it won't even charge fully overnight.
Punch Card
Techkidd4400

The Apple travel usb power adapter works with all iPhones, ipod touches, and the ipad AND the thinkpad tablet. The USB power adapter that comes with the iphone 4 or 4s does not work.
Serial Port
brillat

Based on one of the comments, I have just tried with different HTC Android cell phone adapters.  They are only rated for 1A, but they did in fact charge my TPT and did it relatively fast.  Note that I left the tablet OFF while doing these tests to increase charging speed, but that both adapters did make the lightning-bolt-in-battery icon come on and STAY ON when the TPT was powered up.

I tried it first with the U250, part 79H00095-14M, which came with the Droid Incredible (v1).  This one worked and seemed to go great, but it got awfully hot.  Charged it from 40% to 85% in about 4 hrs. It also worked with the -01M release of the U250 but I didn't charge for a significant amount of time with that.

I then tried it with the TC-P300, aka CNR6875, aka 79H00082-22M, that came with my Droid Incredible 2.  I don't like this charger aesthetically as much because it is about twice the size as the U250, but I think it is the winner for the TPT - when charging the TPT it got warm, but not excessively so.   It charged it 20% in under 2 hrs, meaning overnight should be no problem for a full charge.  I am going to get more of this model to use with my TPT around the house, at the office, etc.

These are both 1A chargers... I'd love to find a 2A charger that works.... please post model numbers if you find one!

Paper Tape
olighak

I have never used the charger that came with it, but an assortment of other micro usb cables and chargers. I've yet to find one that does not charge the tablet.
Punch Card
Nekid

I'm thinking of picking up the Apple (I know, I don't like the idea either) AC wall USB charger (5V 2A)...the one that is extremely small and trying it out.

With people trying other chargers, what USB cable are you using?  I have learned from the past that not all cables are made equal (getting my HDD enclosure to work...some would work, others wouldn't, it definitely related to the gage of the wires).