Support in other languages: 
WWAN
pghFL

Re: Charging with other than the factory charger

I can verify that Evo 4G charger works though more slowly, and the USB cable functions as well as the TPT cable. The Kindle USB works though charges more slowly.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Blue Screen Again
JMOZ

The IPAD-2USB charger from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QVHO38/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-...) works fine, but the MiLi iPAD charger I tried does not. It seems to be very hit-or-miss and not depend entirely on power output.

WWAN
pghFL

Thanks for the link.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
SCSI Port
ybrevic

[ Edited ]

Since it has not been mentioned recently, I would like to again express concern about the slow charge rate on the TPT.  Overnight, with the unit shut down, and the wall charger plugged into the USB, I could only achieve a 79% charge in 9 hours.  This is not very helpful.

The USB situation also might have something to do with this, as I seem to get different results depending on which USB cable is used.  Some do not seem to make a good connection with the TPT, although they work fine with my Droid.

In any case, I would like some information about how these issues are being addressed.

Moderator note; subject edited; threads merged

Punch Card
BeachTime

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issues, and at times it does not charge at all. Apparently there are known issues with a faulty micro usb port. Check here on the forums.

Punch Card
Nekid

[ Edited ]

It was mentioned yesterday, how much more recent are you hoping for?

Spawning a new thread just because it wasn't mentioned in the last hour is borderline malice. Instead of creating a thread that will juts dissolve into the depths, I would suggest to add your complaint to the already long thread on this issue.

There is a reason why charging is slow through the micro-usb port...that reason is because it is a standard that can only be specc'ed for so much current. From 'Battery Charging Specification' Rev 1.1, Section 5, Table 5-2 - the Max current a portable device, TPT, can draw from a USB port of any type is 1.8A. This means they are already bending the specification by allowing a 2A charger. A USB port that doesn't conform to these specifications created by the industry isn't a USB port at all. The reason why we can have one cable to do everything is because of a standard...without standards, we would be sitting on a mountain of cables, devices, etc... that we couldn't use with other devices without another mountain of adapters. This is a blessing, not a curse.

You may ask, well why don't they just build a better port that can handle higher A? Well, they did, the dock port, because it is proprietary, isn't bound by a specification and can be whatever the hell Lenovo wants it to be.

Past that, the cable could be an issue. Thicker gage USB cable with a good connection is going to be able to deliver more efficiently than a low gage USB cable that flops around in the port like a gasping fish.

HDMI
Planemaker

[ Edited ]

Nekid,

Very informative post.

I can decrease my charge by turning off wifi, gps, mail sync and bluetooth.

On a side note does the proprietary port on the TPT compatible with similar ports on other Lenovo products so that a charger for the proprietary port can be purchased (I really don't want the dock)?

Punch Card
Nekid

[ Edited ]

Indeed, limiting the power use during charge time will decrease the time needed - net power will be higher. The main problem with the original poster is he had the device completely off, which is where his frustration stems from...charge it all night and only 80% charge. I don't know if he was using the included charger, or another charging device.

For the proprietary port, I'm not sure and I would be one to join the party to have a proprietary port charger without the dock.

Blue Screen Again
Aarman

Are there any generic or random cable/charger systems that charge as optimally as the dock but not in a dock form? Similar to a laptop charger maybe? but fit for the thinkpads dock input...?

SCSI Port
Neokazaki

Do you think that other companies might provide a small charger with a cable for the Dock connector?