Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
AZahriya

Disabling touch screen buttons

Hi, I use my tablet to take notes for school, and while writing, I constantly hit the clock/battery or settings button in the bottom right corner. Are there any apps out there that would disable this? It makes writing incredibly frustrating and sometimes I just wanna throw my tablet against the wall. 

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Punch Card
joehare

Re: Disabling touch screen buttons

If you're rooted you can download honeyhide for free.

I'ts made quill and lecturenotes MUCH easier to use. Actually if you're rooted Quill has an option to remove the status bar when it opens.

I don't think you have any options if you're not rooted though

Paper Tape
AZahriya

Do you think you could explain or post a link explaining how to root? Is it as easy as jailbreaking an iPhone/iAnything?
HDMI
barbfxshow

Did you figure this out, AZakriya? Rooting is not a trivial issue. Search around in the forums to see what is involved. I hope android 4 / ICS comes out for the TPT soon, and then I want to root it.

I also really want to get rid of the on screen buttons. The TP's hardware buttons make the software buttons much less useful, and they do get in the way when writing/drawing near the bottom of the tablet.

Note: one possibility for a work-around on non-rooted tablets would be to invert the app in question. Hold your tablet with the buttons at the bottom, press the rotation lock button, turn your tablet over with the buttons at the top, then press the "invert" button inside the app. Then the soft buttons are at the top of the screen out of the way of your palm.

I mentioned this once for Quill, but I don't think the suggestion was taken seriously.

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838CTO (not rooted, from Lenovo Direct Japan); WiFi-only model (w/ Galaxy Note LTE as tether); 64GB system memory with Transcend 64GB Class 10 SDXC card; ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0039_0090_JP rom; GPS works (slowly) after 2012/04 return (power button had broke); Camera will not focus. (note: I have not re-tested these since the ICS update 2012/06/21) ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

802.11n
p600

[ Edited ]

Rooting is quite easy http://opdecirkel.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/yareftpt/ and then "Honey Hide Widget" does the job just fine.

With rooted tablet can also reprogram the rather useless "Browser" button to work as "MENU", thus making the standard set of physical buttons "BACK / MENU / HOME".

Hopefully, Google / Lenovo (who is more to blame I don't know) will come to their senses and resolve the redundancy. Android phones with ICS and physical buttons (like new HTC, Droid Razr etc) do not have the duplicate on-screen ones. 

Paper Tape
shahzadhussain

I dont know if Lenovo bothers to see these user problems posted on their website in this forum. 

Lenovo:- If you see your users having problems using your tablets, do show up and suggest some solution. Why dont u guys make an update to solve this problem. Who on earth need both Hard and Soft buttons on the same place?

HDMI
barbfxshow

Yeah, Lenovo designed the TPT with the hardware buttons and the stylus. It seems pretty obvious that the two elements would work great to prevent us from hitting the soft buttons with our hands while using the TPT as it was designed. So why didn't they finish the design and give an option to turn off the soft buttons? Lenovo just looks hopelessly incompetent at times.

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838CTO (not rooted, from Lenovo Direct Japan); WiFi-only model (w/ Galaxy Note LTE as tether); 64GB system memory with Transcend 64GB Class 10 SDXC card; ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0039_0090_JP rom; GPS works (slowly) after 2012/04 return (power button had broke); Camera will not focus. (note: I have not re-tested these since the ICS update 2012/06/21) ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸