Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
UberSteve

Re: GPS - TPT Acquiring Satellites Buf

Another perplexed user here. 

I'm an app developer and have been trying to work out why the TPT GPS performance is so crap compared to other Tablets we are testing. We have here a SGT 10.1, Acer A500, Asus TF101 and the TPT. I have done direct comparisons, and by far, the TPT has the worst GPS performance.

We have a GPS repeater in the office and the TPT even struggles to maintain a fix with that!

How about a fix (or at least an acknowledgement) Lenovo?

-Steve

Paper Tape
aqsw

Re: GPS - TPT Acquiring Satellites Bug

[ Edited ]

Mine is getting delivered tomorrow and this is probably a deal breaker for me. I should have done more research, as GPS is one of the main reasons i went with a tablet.I have 30 days to return.(and acers on sale for $170.00 less at bestbuy right now)

Punch Card
ptdrake

I downloaded an app "GPS Test" and it did not find any satellites at all - I waited five minutes. I have the most recent update (75) and am in the United States. I would really appreciate it if an ETA on a fix could be provided.
SCSI Port
sonex293

Looks like I'm in the same boat.  Taking forever (if ever sometimes) getting a fix.  I hooked up a Bluetooth GPS and it works wonderfully, but I bought the TPT because it included a GPS...  Very disappointed.

==

Michael

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

For  me  it works now ! 

I used the apps speedview and gpsstatus.

After the last tpt update it seems to keep the satellite fix showing the speed accurate.

For the first fix it took some time, i used the internet to let the app gpsstatus downlad information .

I didnt try without that, but i am happy lenovo fixed the problem with keeping satellite fixes

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

SCSI Port
wosto

splotz wrote:

For  me  it works now ! 

I used the apps speedview and gpsstatus.

After the last tpt update it seems to keep the satellite fix showing the speed accurate.

For the first fix it took some time, i used the internet to let the app gpsstatus downlad information .

I didnt try without that, but i am happy lenovo fixed the problem with keeping satellite fixes

Hey splotz, Happy to hear that you've found some apps that help make your TPT GPS somewhat usable. Was it able to maintain a fix for a sustained amount of time and distance?

It's nice to have a workaround, but ultimately it would be great if we didn't have to use 3rd party apps to download AGPS data every time we need a GPS fix... Not trying to be a downer on your workaround, just trying to keep the pressure on Lenovo to get our GPS's working as they should. 

We all paid quite a bit more for a "business class" tablet from a company that has a good reputation and I'm sure we all expected a GPS that would work without having to manually kickoff additional apps and downloads.

As I've mention many times before the fact that the GPS.conf file is pointing to an Asia NTP server is enough on it's own to hobble our GPS fix times, nevermind the fact that it appears that Lenovo didn't build in any AGPS functionality.

802.11n
splotz

Speedview showed it kept the fix

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

Punch Card
bevo

How could one be sure that it is a software issue? According to this survey http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Thinkpad-Tablet-Owner-s-Survey/td-p/562479/page/2 , I'm not the only one whose GPS works well enough for a tablet. My TPT's still on _65; without knowing the prior position + without WiFi or 3G + without any workaround it usually gets a fix in less than 2 minutes, otherwise it's about 40 seconds (seeing the first satellites after 10-15 seconds); that's OK with me . Honestly, the TPT will never be a substitute for my cars navigation system, a dedicated tracker (much smaller) for mountain hiking or my phone (much smaller too) when travelling foreign towns. But it's useful once in a while and no slouch, although I don't think it's built for navigating. 

Weird enough, when I tried out a certain navapp and sent the TPT to sleep once, it showed the new position (some miles down the road) the moment the screen went on, as if it hadn't been idle at all.

Did they use different hardware? I admit, it sounds unlikely. I suppose, both of us, splotz and me, bought the same German/ European model. Quality control?  

SCSI Port
wosto

bevo wrote:

How could one be sure that it is a software issue? According to this survey http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Thinkpad-Tablet-Owner-s-Survey/td-p/562479/page/2 , I'm not the only one whose GPS works well enough for a tablet. My TPT's still on _65; without knowing the prior position + without WiFi or 3G + without any workaround it usually gets a fix in less than 2 minutes, otherwise it's about 40 seconds (seeing the first satellites after 10-15 seconds); that's OK with me . Honestly, the TPT will never be a substitute for my cars navigation system, a dedicated tracker (much smaller) for mountain hiking or my phone (much smaller too) when travelling foreign towns. But it's useful once in a while and no slouch, although I don't think it's built for navigating. 

Weird enough, when I tried out a certain navapp and sent the TPT to sleep once, it showed the new position (some miles down the road) the moment the screen went on, as if it hadn't been idle at all.

Did they use different hardware? I admit, it sounds unlikely. I suppose, both of us, splotz and me, bought the same German/ European model. Quality control?  

Hi bevo,

If you have been able to get a TTFF in 40 - 120 seconds ever since you took your TPT out of the box and without any extra apps to download AGPS data, then I envy you! :smileyhappy: I believe splotz indicated that he had to download AGPS dat using an app?

Every TPT/GPS related post that I have read here (and in other forums) has Users complaining of 5-10 minute TTFF's (if they get a fix at all) and shoddy sattelite locks afterwards.

The reason I think it's software related is this:

• On my TPT the GPS.conf file is pointing to a Asia NTP_Server, I'm in the U.S.. That alone is enough to hobble any GPS since having the exact time is crutial to obtaining a decent TTFF. (BTW, what NTP_Server is being used on your European model? Maybe that's the difference?)
  • My company had tried the Acer A500 Android tablet prior to the TPT. The Acer also had a practically non-functioning GPS out of the box (as well as other issues that seem to be common to "newly released" tablets i.e. "Cell Stanby" shown as draining battery.). Acer corrected their GPS issues in one of their early OTA's, afterwards it had TTFF's of 30 - 90 seconds.
  • I'm not positive, since Lenovo has refused to comment or acknowledge this issue, but all indications are that Lenovo DID NOT include AGPS functionality wit the TPT. I say this because when people have called Lenovo support to complain about bad TTFF's, Support has told them it's because there is no GSM/3G/4G on the TPT. Further proof is that when Users go through the trouble of using another app to download AGPS data (for every new cold location they go to) the TPT all of a sudden has a decent TTFF.

I took the survey you linked when it was first posted, I'm not sure if people are buying TPT's for navigation or not, but I know my Company bought it for exactly that. We have tablet mounts in our cars and are wirelessly tethered to phones for internet, the idea was to navigate to our appointments and then use the TPT for data input/collection.

Regardless, why shouldn't the TPT GPS be able to function (when it has internet) just as well as other Android based tablet or phone? My Android phone could easily replace my car Garmin or Tom-Tom GPS for navigation. It's TTFF is fast, the GPS is accurate and Google maps is unbeatable as far as accuracy and satelitte photo capability.

I fully expected the TPT's GPS to have AGPS support, downloading AGPS data anytime the GPS is on and there is internet access, I also assumed it would point to the correct NTP_Server for the country I'm in.

I suppose it could be hardware, but typically it would present it's self in the opposite manner, with many having a working GPS and a few having issues. I haven't seen that trend here... 

Anyway thanks for the post, it's good to have all the examples we can since it looks like we'll be figuring this out on our own... :smileysad:

Punch Card
bevo

@wosto I do understand you, of course. I don't know what secret lifes this thing is living. And actually I don't want to know. It has to do what it is intended to do and has to let me alone otherwise. As you may have read I had to restore it to factory defaults yesterday, thus losing all my apps. Because of your post I downloaded GPS test, deactivated both Wifi and 3G and tried again. First seven satellites in 8 seconds, 10 feet accuracy in 50 seconds, improving. But because I'm at home it may know my location (I don't know nothing about the way GPS works), so a more proper trial has to wait. Need to install a navapp, too. As for the server - I'm not sure why I can't find any server entry at all in the config-file, the Chinese one often mentioned here isn't there for sure. Sorry that I can't help with this issue. :smileysad: