Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
ameridian

Re: GPS - TPT Acquiring Satellites Bug

pghFL wrote:
Replying to the one who was excited. Obviously.

Myopic!

WWAN
pghFL

Hey wosto. Just noticed today that you've been updating this thread, on the original post, all along. I am as frustrated as you are, and I won't give up. Please don't you give up either. Let's keep this thread in front of Lenovo and hopefully, eventually, we will get a fix.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
SCSI Port
GraficArtist

@ pghFL

"And you should be excited. You should've seen me the one day my gps worked!"

I got to thinking about what you said GPS data stuck in the cache, so I tried an experiment, everytime I've tried the GPS I've been stationary. I had to go to a store about 15 miles away so I took the TPT with me. I turned on Google Maps. When I saw the little blue arrow I took off. It showed movement and kept very close  5 meters or better to my vehicle. Even on the hwy doing 65-70 mph. I never lost signal. So in my case (not propose as an overall fix solution) SAt status and Gpsfix helped. So I'm going to drop off this subject. But keep pressing Lenovo!

WWAN
pghFL

Will do. And really, for the folks whose gps does work - that's fantastic. I always thought mine really worked until I performed the test. Unfortunate results for me. It seems the TPT was pulling from my phone's gps/3G when out and about, and not its own. Eye opener.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
MaxBuck

Just went through the process of using the GPS Fix app.  Deleted the AGPS cache using GPS Status, downloaded new data, rebooted TPT.  Used GPS Fix upon reboot.  It claimed fix, accuracy 50 meters using 3 satellites.  No fix shown, however, in any other app.

Very frustrating not to have GPS.  Is this not a warranty issue?

WWAN
pghFL

Well, that's not an easy question to answer.

Short version - yes, but they have to first acknowledge that there's an issue, AND have a fix for it. Haven't seen either since the TPT hit ground in August.

Long version - see this post/rant about dealing with Lenovo CS, and you'll have an idea of what it's like to get support for an ignored, undocumented (by Lenovo) issue.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

Asus Prime has also problems with its GPS:

"Asus told heise online that customers who were "dissatisfied with the performance of GPS", will receive a warranty extension from 24 to 30 months, which also applies to the whole device and not only to the GPS module. There is no viable solution until now, on the contrary: Asus simply removes the GPS feature from the Transformer TF201's data sheet. "

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Prime-TF201-Tablet-MID.69849.0.html  

(GPS/Wlan Problem) 

Marked bold by me.

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

WWAN
pghFL

I had read this before. It will be interesting to see the outcome with Lenovo. Their continued lack of action and duplicate requests for the same information give me the feeling they're hoping the issue just goes away. Fixing the gps.conf file in OTA2 helped nothing. It was a long shot at best, anyway.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
802.11n
ameridian

Asus Prime has also problems with its GPS:

It also has problems with weak WiFi in general and almost non-existent WiFi when BT is enabled. The ATP was on my short list of possible tablets to buy so researched all its issues. Gary Key, Asus' Technical Marketing Manager, started a thread on XDA to try and address the WiFi + BT issue;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443868

The discussions also include weak WiFi in general.

802.11n
ameridian

pghFL wrote:
I had read this before. It will be interesting to see the outcome with Lenovo. Their continued lack of action and duplicate requests for the same information give me the feeling they're hoping the issue just goes away. Fixing the gps.conf file in OTA2 helped nothing. It was a long shot at best, anyway.

One of the problems getting Lenovo to act seems to be that we are categorically saying that there is a GPS issue without documenting A vs B comparisons. Suitable documentation these days appears to be a YouTube video since it also carries with it a certain amount of public embarrassment for the manufacturer.

You (pghFL) claim that your TPT won't get a fix at all. So why don't you do a video demonstrating this beside an Ipad or even another TPT that will get several fixes at the same location. I'm able to get fixes without even using the GPSfix app for example. Never installed it. So are we talking a GPS issue, AGPS issue or a hardware issue in your case and others?

Until we come up with some form of strategy and fine tune our agenda, Lenovo is going to be basking in the confusion associated with this categorical "there is a GPS issue". Also, those who genuinely need GPS in a tablet should be the ones taking the bull by the horns here. Those simply throwing in lip service may be interpreted as nothing more than the "no love for Lenovo" bandwagon.