Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: GPS - TPT Acquiring Satellites Bug

barbfxshow wrote:

Are you speaking for Lenovo in saying all of us who have malfunctioning GPS's and who want a functional GPS should file a warranty\service claim? Are you sure this is what you want us to do? No one has said this till now. You seem VERY much out of the loop on this issue.

barbfxshow,

Yes I'm speaking for Lenovo when I say the following:

If you have issues with GPS not ever being able to obtain a fix outdoors (e.g. not inside a building):

1.  make sure you apply OTA2

2.  download and install a free test app such as "GPS Status & Toolbox" - can it get a fix?

3.  if you still cannot obtain a fix no matter what you do, then call the support team to request warranty service on your malfunctioning GPS.

As I already explained to pghFL, if you can't obtain a fix no matter what you do, then that's not a software issue - it's a hardware issue.  If you think there is some software issue, then tell me how to reproduce it.

HDMI
barbfxshow

Do you have a WWAN TPT or not?

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838CTO (not rooted, from Lenovo Direct Japan); WiFi-only model (w/ Galaxy Note LTE as tether); 64GB system memory with Transcend 64GB Class 10 SDXC card; ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0039_0090_JP rom; GPS works (slowly) after 2012/04 return (power button had broke); Camera will not focus. (note: I have not re-tested these since the ICS update 2012/06/21) ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

barbfxshow,

my tablet is WWAN.  bsnf's tablet is non-WWAN.  They are both working fine with GPS on OTA2 (US build 86).

Lenovo Staff
bsnf

slpin wrote:
maybe... this tablet is just very sensitive to weather/location.
i find it impossible to get a GPS fix in my house nor around my area - but if I am outside in the open, i seem to be able to get a fix...

when i had the gobi card in there, the gps connects in less than 10 seconds - sometimes as long as a minute in my house...

right now my tablet is wifi only, so gps isnt too big of an issue for me, but....

slpin,

can you get the gps to work now that the device is WiFi only

Lenovo Staff
bsnf

[ Edited ]

someotherguy and I work in the same team. It is not part of our job responsibility to reply, monitor or work on issues reported in the forums. We do not get appreciated for fixing issues reported in the forums ( except for some users that Thank us) nor will we get fired for not working on them.

We both do this voluntarily as we like helping forum users and get satisfied with the few thanks that we get.

I am just trying to say is that by getting upset on us is not going to help resolve this issue. We are actually trying to help with taking this issue forward.

We did some digging at our end and were told that the early release had a hardware issue which has been resolved in manufacturing. Hence the request for users that never got their GPS working - use your warranty, ask the service center to see if it has the hardware GPS fix.

I purchased a Tablet from Staples 2 weeks ago the hardware team opened it and confirmed that it did not have the GPS issue.

Please don't misunderstand my post. Lets make this a constructive discussion so that we can help you take this issue forward and get it resolved. I was told by forum users earlier that changing the config.gps file will resolve the issue and I pushed several people in Lenovo to get it included in OTA2.

We do not have the bandwidth of reading through 200+ post as we have a full time job. We need 2 - 3 users to define exactly what the issue is.

Works - takes long to latch to satellite

Works - degrades over time

anything else

Please do not hijack this discussion and help us help you to take this issue forward.

SCSI Port
ybrevic

@bsnf   Thank you very much for your efforts.  I appreciate this and your candor, and urge other forum members to keep this in mind in the future. (and thanks to someotherguy as well)

Token Ring
umbertones

I'll throw in a version that I haven't seen here before:

I have a TPT with WWAN. I couldn't get a fix (yes, I use the software someotherguy recommends here as well as gps fix).

I rooted my 76WE and changed gps.conf. On that day I had an immediate fix. Several days later no more fix.

I unrooted and upgraded to 86 and 89. No fixes at all.

I connected my BT gps mouse and had very good gps data.

If this is a hardware issue, it's a very tricky one.

Regards

Umbi

--
working with T410s 2924WDR, Tablet 1838-2CG, caring for R61 7732-NDG, L512 4444-4NG, R61i 7650-D6G, X60s 1703-3JG, R51e 1844-DWG, X40 2371-8EG, R32 2658-MNG
Punch Card
trock1

BSNF,

Thank you for your efforts.

If you could find out at your end by digging that someone was aware there were manufacturing problems with early issues, could you communicate to whomever that they could at least have notified purchasers of early TPTs sooner, and avoid all this crazy self-destructive behavior regarding Lenovo service levels?  How long has this item been being discussed here? It is a custumer losing, sales losing issue (their handling of it, not just the GPS issue itself).

SCSI Port
egilwh

This is the first we hear about a hw issue on the gps, and I'm surprised it comes out only now..... However, thanks to you guys for bringing the info and trying to help.

I have a wwan version, and my gps problem is different from others. I've had it in for repair in Frankfurt twice for repair of a non-functional gps. Both times it was returned with no faults found. After the first return, I found that the problem was connected with the 3G SIM. When the SIM was inserted, the gps stopped working.

I reported this and sent it for repair WITH the SIM in. When returned NFF, I noticed that pin code security was disabled. I inserted SIM and the gps was still working... I enabled pin code, and the gps lost all sats in seconds. I can recreate this problem every time I try. Unfortunately, Lenovo Norway has gone silent on me......

Now it works after a reboot (and pin disabled), but it degrades over time. After a few hours, it needs a reboot for the gps to work.

When it works,it makes no difference whether wifi and/or wwan is enabled/disabled.

TPT 64GB 3G - 18382DG - 00132_WE
Laptop X200
Laptop X41
Punch Card
UberSteve

[ Edited ]

bsnf wrote:

We did some digging at our end and were told that the early release had a hardware issue which has been resolved in manufacturing. Hence the request for users that never got their GPS working - use your warranty, ask the service center to see if it has the hardware GPS fix.

I purchased a Tablet from Staples 2 weeks ago the hardware team opened it and confirmed that it did not have the GPS issue.

I'm curious how long Lenovo have known about this hw issue?

Could you please provide the serial number range for the affected Tablets, and if we're talking to a service agent, what is the "service bulletin" number we should quote?

The best way I can describe the problem: The TPT has extemely poor GPS performance. It takes a very long time (5-10+ minutes) to acheive a fix (either outdoors in clear sky, or standing directly in front of a GPS repeater), and if it does eventually get a fix, it easily looses it. It's like it has some sort of antenna fault.

The Tablet we have been testing was ordered from Lenovo.com on 29/8/2011 and shipped 26/9/2011

This might help also: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjWZ7DrlReHPdDA3Q3Jaa3dCWU5KclB1dkNLcXNDb3c#gid=0

(we're not just a bunch of unorganised complaining end-users)

-Steve

PS. That spreadsheet was started some time ago and is probably out of date now. I beleive most have updated to OTA2, but the problem remains.