Support in other languages: 
FDP
Token Ring
FDP

Re: GPS - TPT Acquiring Satellites Bug

Any update on this? Also, anyone at Lenovo care to update the US service people about this problem. It isn't very helpful to have support reps who don't know anything about a product's known defects...

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

egilwh wrote:
I've had my TPT in twice for repair of the GPS, and it has been returned with NFF as reported here earlier. Also, as long as I don't have pin code scurity enabled, it works for a while. It gains a good fix with up to 8 sats within seconds sitting indoors (by the window), but within a few hours without being used, it stops working an the only remedy is a reboot.
After some further testing today, I found that I also get a fix if I have the pin code security enabled while rebooting. I.e. the TPT comes up with the pin code request immediately after boot. When I start GPS Test (Chartcross), I get a good fix within seconds. This surprised me....
Since I've experienced that the GPS stopped working before in connection with the pin code entry, I remove the SIM, wait 30 seconds and inserts it again..... and the GPS stops dead in its tracks.
Hope this might take the investigation a step further.... 

Thanks for this information.  We found the problem where the WWAN GPS disappears over time.  I will have more details about this issue in a future post.

Punch Card
pr0f

Good news. Thanks a lot!

SCSI Port
egilwh

someotherguy wrote:

Thanks for this information.  We found the problem where the WWAN GPS disappears over time.  I will have more details about this issue in a future post.

Good news... hopefully you guys will fix this soon. It's not an option to wait for OTA3 for me, I am about to return the tpt within a few days.

TPT 64GB 3G - 18382DG - 00132_WE
Laptop X200
Laptop X41
802.11n
is1981

Ah, fine, I see no pressure to release a fix quickly.  :smileysurprised:

Well, if you do not plan to get lost on an unknown jungle on the next days (and I would not do it) waiting a few weeks for a fix will not be a big concern. At least Lenovo is able to reproduce the GPS bug, so they will work on a fix.  :smileywink:

SCSI Port
egilwh

sobrado wrote:

Well, if you do not plan to get lost on an unknown jungle on the next days (and I would not do it) waiting a few weeks for a fix will not be a big concern. At least Lenovo is able to reproduce the GPS bug, so they will work on a fix.  :smileywink:

I don't know what planet you're on, but on this planet I bought a TPT for well over 1000 dollars WITH a GPS. It's been in for GPS repair twice without success, and it doesn't work. It's close to six months now, and I don't intend to wait further months to get it fixed.

If you feel that's good enough for you, fine. It's not good enough for me.

Laptop X200
Laptop X41
802.11n
is1981

egilwh wrote:

sobrado wrote:

I don't know what planet you're on, but on this planet I bought a TPT for well over 1000 dollars WITH a GPS. It's been in for GPS repair twice without success, and it doesn't work. It's close to six months now, and I don't intend to wait further months to get it fixed.

If you feel that's good enough for you, fine. It's not good enough for me.

What planet I am on?  Sometimes I believe it is Skaro. :smileylol:

Well, from what I read on the last months it seems that this problem was difficult to isolate. There was a chance some tablets had hardware problems related with GPS, so these should be sent to repair.  On the ones without hardware issues it seems that the software problem was difficult to repeat.  Hopefully, a few clever members of this forum found a way to reliably reproduce these GPS problems on tablets that were working fine just after a cold boot. Now Lenovo has been able to repeat the problem and they acknowledge it, so they are looking for a fix.

SCSI Port
egilwh

someotherguy wrote:

@someotherguy

Is it possible for you to come up with an estimate on when this fix will be distributed?

Laptop X200
Laptop X41
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

[ Edited ]
egilwh wrote:

@someotherguy

Is it possible for you to come up with an estimate on when this fix will be distributed?

I think the earliest possibility of a fix for this issue where the WWAN GPS function disappears after time is OTA3, which is scheduled for May.  But at this time I can't even commit to that.  I hope to have more info later this week.
FDP
Token Ring
FDP

So 9 months from original launch the issue may be fixed... but you can't comment on that. How is it appropriate for Lenovo to spend their development efforts removing root and releasing new versions of the sodding store when they haven't even fixed basic advertised features of the device?