Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
iraytoday
Accepted Solution

If static IP proxy etc is setup at work, then can't connect to DHCP at home

At work I had to setup my ThinkPad Tablet (Android 3.1) to use a static IP address and proxy settings to connect to the internet. (browser works, some apps don't). However, when I go home and try to connect to my network there using DHCP it can't get an IP address until I tell it to forget my work network settings. Is there a way to get around entering all of the work and home network settings everytime I need to switch locations?

802.11n
is1981

Re: If static IP proxy etc is setup at work, then can't connect to DHCP at home

That is really odd. I have a setup like the one you describe (proxy and static address at the Campus, non-proxy and dynamic address at home) and see no problems at all. The tablet is able to learn the settings that must be used on each network. Do your networks at work and home have different SSIDs? My slate has the most up to date OTAs installed.

Blue Screen Again
iraytoday

I don't know what an OTA is but when I go to system updates it says that my system is up to date. How can I find out what OTA I'm on?

The networks do have different SSID's. I also found out that I don't need any proxy settings just a static IP, gateway and DNS info. We have iPrism web filter (was told it's not technically a proxy) at work and this was the only way we could get around it with the tablet. We had to set an exception in iPrism for the IP address. Even with all of this it seems like it should do as you describe and remember the settings for each network.

Any other suggestions are welcome and thank you for your quick response.

802.11n
is1981

An OTA (Over the Air) is an upgrade to the Android operating system on your tablet. I see you are in the United States, so you will have a new update in a few days. To know what your current operating system build number is go to settings (either directly from the home screen or through Apps) and touch the "About tablet" option (it may be hidden if you have your tablet attached to the keyboard folio case).

With your setup, all should work fine. Using different SSIDs should allow your tablet to automatically choose the right network configuration for both your home and work.
802.11n
ameridian

iraytoday wrote:

At work I had to setup my ThinkPad Tablet (Android 3.1) to use a static IP address and proxy settings to connect to the internet. (browser works, some apps don't). However, when I go home and try to connect to my network there using DHCP it can't get an IP address until I tell it to forget my work network settings. Is there a way to get around entering all of the work and home network settings everytime I need to switch locations?

With both networks entered using different SSIDs....What happens if you touch and hold the network you want to connect to until a popup appears then choose "Connect to network"? I have two WiFi networks set up in my TPT and that's how I force switching from one to the other depending on where the TPT is located.

Blue Screen Again
iraytoday

I don't know what changed but it started working. Maybe having the DHCP network setup first then the static settings entered second did the trick. I had another tablet, same model, purchased at the same time with the same updates etc. which worked right away but it had my home network settings entered first, then the work network setup second.  It's a mystery to me but the good news is that it is working like it should. Thanks to everyone who responded with ideas.

802.11n
is1981

[ Edited ]
Glad to see that it finally worked!

Edit: I have formatted /data and /cache on mine a few times (just to get used to some basic maintenance procedures and clean things a bit after playing with this slate, my first Android device) and, to be honest, never care about the order I was setting the networks up. Sometimes I was at the Campus so the first one had a proxy, others at home or a nice cafeteria here in Oviedo (no proxy at all in these setups). It worked fine in all cases, it just knows when the network has a proxy/static IP/DHCP server... or not.