Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bbrackeen
Accepted Solution

Installing Lenovo adb_driver (win7/x64)

I have USB Debugging turned on, plug in the tablet and get an error that the USB device was not recognized. In device manager under "Usb Serial Bus Controlers" it shows up as "Unknown Device".

I downloaded the adb_drivers from the levnovo support site, and attempt to update driver the driver to no avail, the installer says "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" and leaves it as "Unknown Device".

Thanks

Serial Port
Tide

Re: Installing Lenovo adb_driver (win7/x64)

I believe if you find a thread or discussion board with the model of your Win tablet and post your question over there you will have more chances in getting the proper support you need.

Goodluck.

Blue Screen Again
Roufles

Tide wrote:

I believe if you find a thread or discussion board with the model of your Win tablet and post your question over there you will have more chances in getting the proper support you need.

Goodluck.

He is talking about the android debug driver for the Thinkpad slate tablet. I believe this is the correct discussion board. I'm having the same problem as well.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bbrackeen

Correct, this is the android tablet using the Lenovo ADB driver.

I've been able to get 4 other brands to work fine, the lenovo is not responding to the driver provided.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bbrackeen

I've tried this;

http://knowledge.lapasa.net/?p=190

and 

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/enable-adb-usb-drivers-for-nvidia-tegra-based-android-tablets/

using 0x17EF, but that would essentually be doing the same thins as using the inf in the lenovo package.

The tablet model is: 183822U if that makes any difference.

The error on the device properties in device manager is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bbrackeen

Ok, well.

Problem solved. I did a factory reset on the device, enabled debugging first off, then it came up as "Other Devices, Lenovo Tablet". I updated the driver and problem is solved.

Odd. When in doubt, format the thing I guess. /shrug

Punch Card
TekMason

I just posted this Complete Setup Guide: Android SDK and ADB

TekMason

What's DOS?
uh18104

I have spent several hours and still couldn't make Window 7 (64bit) device manager recognize Thinkpad tablet.

By the way,  I am currently using Thinkpad lenovo x201 laptop (Window 7 64bit machine) to develop Android mobile applications. 

I got this tablet last week;

(1) Thinkpad Tabelt model number is 183927U 

(2) Android version 3.1

(3) Kernel version 2.6.36.3

Here is what I have done so far. I have read very carefully all the posts in forums.lenovo.com and I tried all the sucess stories, but still none of them are working. Since there might be many mistakes on my end, I would like to explain what I did so far.

(1) download adb_driver_20110720 from the

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS022366

and unzip it. 

(2) reset Thinkpad tablet in a factory setting

(3) connect Thinkpad tablet to Thinkpad laptop using (USB to microusb connector, which comes with Thinkpad tablet)

(4) Window 7 device manager shows ThinkPad Tablet under

Other devices

(!) ThinkPad Tablet

I did "right click on ThinkPad Tablet  --> update driver software  -->  Browse my computer for driver software

--->  Search for driver software in this location  -->  <directory>\adb_driver_20110720\adb_driver 

I got the pop up windows says:

Windows could not find driver software for your device

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software

Then, fail.

I wonder whether anyone can point out whether I made any mistake(s) during the adb usb device installatoin. I really need to set up the tablet so that I can teach android mobile programming.

As a preparation, I reset the tablet in factory setting

What's DOS?
drphrozen

<p>I had the same problem, and tried to solve by editing the inf file. more precisely I removed the last bit from the USB entries (mi). This helped installing the driver, since It was now recogized correctly, but unfortunately the system was unable to activate the driver after installing It.</p>
<p>My Thinkpad is 1838 2BG with software version ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0037_0076_WE</p>
Paper Tape
foulpole

I'm going to pile on a bit, too. I've got the same issues as most of the other posters here.

I'm using Mono for Android to write an Android app in Visual Studio 2010 (Professional, not Express). I've followed every suggestion I could find online (including TekMason's step-by-step), but I can't get the ADB driver to install properly. In fact, I had to do a legacy install thru Windows 7 x64's Device Mangler to even get the device to pop up under Android Phones. Until then, it didn't show up as a device at all -- after unzipping the Lenovo adb driver to my local drive, each time I would try to update the driver, I got the message telling me that it already had the latest and greatest driver installed.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Android SDK. I did remember to add in the lines to android_winusb.inf. No joy.

This all started when I could see the Android emulators when I listed devices in ADB, but not my actual piece of hardware (a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet, 1838 series).

I'm working off a Lenovo T420 laptop running Windows 7 x64, 8GB RAM, blah blah blah. I can't change any of my hardware, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. 

Thanks.