Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
wolfindersteppe

Re: Interested in WRITING, not Note taking :)

splotz wrote:

@wolfindersteppe

Would you have spend the money for MyScript Stylus Mobile and "train" yourself on the app, when you would have know it better before?

How about the palm recognition ? Is it working ?

To be honest, I would not.

Palm recognition is quite OK.

Lenovo ThinkPad W520, i7-2820 CPU, 32GB RAM, Full HD 95% Gamut Screen, NVidia Quadro 2000M 2GB GPU , mSATA 256GB + Vertex 4 SSD à 512 GB + Vertex 3 SSD à 480 GB & Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet replaced by GNote 10.1 replaced by Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T
Punch Card
paulwhtd

Nice find on the MyScript Stylus. Its working great for me. I can't help think this was meant to be bundled with the tablet but wasn't ready in time. Same vendor as the notes app and its not available in the android market. $12, meh.
Punch Card
flipped

Ok, small squiggly handwriting review:

Short answer: nope.

First off, palm rejection. Even in apps that have it, it sucks. If you want to actually write sentences and not just occasional words and figures, you are picking up the pen a lot. It seems like palm rejection algorithms kick in during any new input and make an assessment, and the more you pick up the pen or move your hand a little, the more times it will make an assessment (palm vs. pen) and the more times it will fail. And since you can't write as small as you might be used to, you have to move your palm a lot more. Even if it doesn't fail, you quickly get into the mindset of dreading to move your palm because it MIGHT fail. It's very annoying.

Secondly, even with the awesome version of Writepad that has been custom made for our TPT, which won't accept anything but pen input, small and squiggly isn't great. At least not for me. If you try to start a new input/line/whatever very close to an existing line, it seems to frequently fail for some reason. If you write quickly, and small, it's almost like it can't keep up. I found a few letters that this seemed to happen on more than others, specifically "r" i" "g" and "e" and started doing the "ridge" test. In my handwriting, the word "ridge" requires a lot of pen raises, a lot of swirling, and a lot of changing direction, which in combinaiton, at high speed, seem to consistently translate badly with this hardware. On Writepad, as well as Antipaper, the included notes app, and pretty much anything else, the word "ridge" failed 9/10 times if I tried to write at a normal speed. By fail, I mean at least one stroke just didn't register despite good pen-to-screen contact. But I write fast and slopppy. If you write small and carefully, I'm sure it's quite nice. And the custom Writepad apk is the only way to go. I just wish the touch rejection applied to the menus as well.

Finally, for what I primarily bought this device for - PDF annotation - it fails completely. This is almost entirely due to software, though, so I haven't given up hope. I've tried both RepliGoReader and ezPDF. Neither seem to have a way to customize pen-size, and the default size is too big to really write any notes larger than a single word. Definitely no small/squiggly going on there. Zero palm rejection, combined with the fact that you can only write big fat letters which involves moving your palm frequently, makes writing on PDFs a painful experience. Even if the writing itself weren't so bad, neither of those apps make it easy to get to the freewrite mode. It's either a long press then a select in ezPDF or a menu button then a select in RepliGo. And then you have to confirm your writing when you're done, followed by again selecting then freewrite mode.

There's also the constant tap tap tap of the pen on the screen. This is definitely not something you'd want to use during a class or meeting if you are actually writing sentences.

On the positive side, I'm actually impressed by the accuracy of the pen. The smallest pen size in Antipaper (which seems to have the narrowest point of all the apps I tried) is quite small, and seems to be 100% where you actually intend it to go. I could trace the grid lines on Antipaper with just as much accuracy and as fine a point as if I had a mechanical pencil and grid paper in front of me. The only difference was a slight delay.

The experience is definitely better than a finger and better than a capacitive stylus. Like most people have said, where it really fails is the software. If we get root soon I may keep the device in the hopes that a global touch rejection button can be implemented and maybe someone will develop a PDF app with selectable pen sizes. Until then, though, I can't really see how I would integrate this thing into my workflow. It still remains easier to read and annotate PDFs on my laptop.

As it stands, this thing is a huge disappointment. Even though the hardware is (mostly) there, I don't see why the software support doesn't exist (on any platform!) to do what I would think is a very common task. 

Punch Card
Frostshock

flipped wrote:

Finally, for what I primarily bought this device for - PDF annotation - it fails completely. This is almost entirely due to software, though, so I haven't given up hope. I've tried both RepliGoReader and ezPDF. Neither seem to have a way to customize pen-size, and the default size is too big to really write any notes larger than a single word. Definitely no small/squiggly going on there. Zero palm rejection, combined with the fact that you can only write big fat letters which involves moving your palm frequently, makes writing on PDFs a painful experience. Even if the writing itself weren't so bad, neither of those apps make it easy to get to the freewrite mode. It's either a long press then a select in ezPDF or a menu button then a select in RepliGo. And then you have to confirm your writing when you're done, followed by again selecting then freewrite mode.

In ezPDF, write a freehand annotation then choose properties to set the pen size. This change is permanent and only has to be done once.

802.11n
p600

[ Edited ]

Actually ezPDF does allow pen size customization. It's just well hidden.

Default thinkness is 3 (which is too thick for most pen writing  ), so need to do the following:

1) add any freetext, press OK

2) select what you've written, click properties, adjust the pen thinkness/color to whatever. Can delete the freetext too.

From this point on, new free text notes will appear in chosen thinkness/color, even after restarting the app. With zooming feature and two-finger scrolling, it's quite usable after all. But of course start/end of annotation could have been easier than trying to hit that tiny OK button at the end, while trying not to lift the tip of the pen off the surface for more than 10mm (when it starts to accept finger touches/palm).

That all said, it's still more of a cool toy than a tool, you need to enjoy the process to use it :smileyhappy: Printing/annotating/scanning, or using a proper Tablet PC with larger screen would be a lot easier and faster.

Punch Card
flipped

Thanks for the tip. That's a huge help.

Now there's a new annoyance, though. The unit seems to think my pen is touching the screen even when it's up to 1cm away. This results in just about every letter being connected. I can tap once, make a dot, lift my pen and move it across the screen, and then tap to make another dot. Instead, it makes a straight line connecting the two dots.

I suspect this may have something to do with a crash I got while using the stylus calibrate function in WritePad. Weird that it seems to be system wide.

Punch Card
flipped

Uninstalling WritePad fixed the above problem. Reboots and force closing did not.

It's interesting (and promising) that stylus calibration in WritePad seems to be systemwide. I'm glad the developer is paying attention to the TPT.

WWAN
pghFL

I noticed the calibration system-wide as well.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
flipped

Ok, I reinstalled the custom TPT WritePad and avoided the calibration this time. I also turned down the palm detection settings to 0.0 (basically turned it off, right?), and now it's awesome. I don't lose any strokes, even with fast, sloppy writing. This is fantastic. We need to buy that dev a TPT.

Pen size settings for PDFs made more of a difference than I thought. Since I usually write in the margins anyway, palm rejection isn't such of a big deal. It's not perfect, but is servicable. ezPDF seems to be weird about saving freewrite annonations though. They don't seem to actually write to the PDF until you make another kind of change - such as highlightning.