Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
opdecirkel
Accepted Solution

Is "Mobility Manager" legal?

If you start   "Mobility Manager" App (just start, nothing else), WITHOUT OWNERS CONSENT, the app downloads some binary executable from internet, installs it, and runs it as ROOT and STAYS RESIDEN (EVEN IF YOU REBOOT)

This is classical trojan style application with root access to the device witout OWNERS permission.

Where did I agree on that?

Is it legal at all do do that without my consent?

Do the enterprise/business customers (or anybody else) wants Lenovo to have access to everything at any time that is on the tablet without even knowing it???

802.11n
splotz

Re: Is "Mobility Manager" legal?

[ Edited ]

I already asked myself how save the thinkpad tablet could be.

I can't change the OS myself and lock it down against others to do so because lenovo locked it.

What is lenovo able to do with it?
How can I see what they do and decide if i like that or not ?
How can I control "my" tablet?

edit:

I even can't backup it for the case someone resets the Tablet in the "startmenu" (recovery) which is not locked down...... 

Lenovo, please let me control my tablet. 

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

802.11n
slpin

didnt you accept the enduser agreement when you first powered on the tablet, before you set everything up?
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Lenovo has confirmed that Mobility Manager self-updates by downloading a file from an internet server, and it does so without asking for user permission.  This happens when a user clicks on the Mobility Manager app.  Lenovo understands why some users might be concerned about this and we are removing this update function from the OTA3 release tentatively scheduled for May 2012.

WWAN
pghFL

Excellent news. Thanks for the info.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
AlexDaryan

someotherguy wrote:

Lenovo has confirmed that Mobility Manager self-updates by downloading a file from an internet server, and it does so without asking for user permission.  This happens when a user clicks on the Mobility Manager app.  Lenovo understands why some users might be concerned about this and we are removing this update function from the OTA3 release tentatively scheduled for May 2012.

Does that mean that OTA3 is the ICS upgrade?  The Lenovo website says we are getting ICS in May.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

AlexDaryan wrote:

Does that mean that OTA3 is the ICS upgrade?  The Lenovo website says we are getting ICS in May.

Yes - OTA3 is the ICS upgrade, and it is currently scheduled for May 2012.
Punch Card
badatong

I have updated my device to OTA3, but I still can't uncheck Lenovo Mobility Manager from Device Administrators in Settings.