Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
HDMI
barbfxshow

Re: OTA2 fix list

[ Edited ]

No, OTA2 didn't fix the GPS problem. OTA2 did change the gps.conf (or gps.config) script, I believe. But the problem is deeper than that. Adding a WWAN card and a SIM will instantly make your GPS function perfectly, so it is not a hardware issue. It is entirely software and Lenovo not setting it up right.

Several people have tried diagnosing the GPS problem, and their work looks good. Lenovo has not officially admitted to what the problem is, though. In fact, up until a month or so ago, Lenovo was clueless as to what was happening at the same time users were drilling down and finding the source of the problem.

Check the first page of this thread for an ALMOST up to date list of what OTA2 has changed (February 2 was the last update there, and several things have happened since then...)

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838CTO (not rooted, from Lenovo Direct Japan); WiFi-only model (w/ Galaxy Note LTE as tether); 64GB system memory with Transcend 64GB Class 10 SDXC card; ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0039_0090_JP rom; GPS works (slowly) after 2012/04 return (power button had broke); Camera will not focus. (note: I have not re-tested these since the ICS update 2012/06/21) ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

SCSI Port
GraficArtist

WWAN card is for adding 3G right and the SIM card activates it right? Sorry not too tech-savvy . But I would have to buy the card open the tablet, voiding the warranty to get the WWAN card in? Whew maybe I can live without it?
SCSI Port
GraficArtist

Oh and thanks for the quick reply dude!
HDMI
barbfxshow

Yeah, the WWAN card and SIM just give you cell/3G/4G internet access. There are other threads here on how to do this, but you would have to spend $100 bucks and open your TPT to add the WWAN card and also get an account with T-Mobile, verizon, or whoever . . .  That it also fixes the GPS just means Lenovo's design was buggy -- like they only tested with WWAN units and never even tried using a WiFi-only model.

OTA2.5 has been announced as coming soon, but I have not seen a list of what it fixes. This GPS problem appears to be easy to fix if Lenovo would just try, so hopefully this month or next everyone's GPS will finally work normally.

Regarding WWAN, I think having a cell phone that you can WiFi tether to is the best way to have an always-on connection for your TPT -- and the 7-inch tablets that are coming down in price and are more useful on the train, while out and about, or even while lying in bed. The cell phone carriers would love for us to get a new SIM and a new account for every device we have, but it would be ridiculously expensive. Until they change course and let us use multiple SIMs on one account, WiFi tethering is going to be the way to go.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838CTO (not rooted, from Lenovo Direct Japan); WiFi-only model (w/ Galaxy Note LTE as tether); 64GB system memory with Transcend 64GB Class 10 SDXC card; ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0039_0090_JP rom; GPS works (slowly) after 2012/04 return (power button had broke); Camera will not focus. (note: I have not re-tested these since the ICS update 2012/06/21) ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

802.11n
is1981

barbfxshow wrote:

No, OTA2 didn't fix the GPS problem. OTA2 did change the gps.conf (or gps.config) script, I believe. But the problem is deeper than that. Adding a WWAN card and a SIM will instantly make your GPS function perfectly, so it is not a hardware issue. It is entirely software and Lenovo not setting it up right.

I am not sure there is either a hardware or software problem with the GPS unit on the ThinkPad tablet. Some time ago I read this tablet has an assisted GPS inside; can someone confirm that A-GPS should work as an standalone system when no WWAN connection to an A-GPS server is possible?

HDMI
barbfxshow

[ Edited ]

I have a 3-year old non-assisted bluetooth GPS puck. I paired it with my TPT and got good results. (It takes a few minutes to get a good lock, whereas my aGPS cell phone locks in almost instantly.)

aGPS gives faster results and potentially better accuracy than non-aGPS, but from what I can gather, an aGPS device without a network connection should basically become a non-aGPS device. The "a" just assists; it doesn't make the device and is unneeded for a functioning GPS.

note: Correction. The wikipedia article sobrado linked to does state: "Some aGPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS." Including this type of GPS in a tablet would seem silly, though. Besides, sitting outside my window while connected via WiFi does not assist the tablet's GPS. Can anyone confirm the GPS type in the TPT? If there is a hardware limit on this, Lenovo will have to come up with a settlement offer to make all of us non-WWAN tablet owners.

In other words, the aGPS on my TPT should work basically the same as my non-aGPS bluetooth puck. Both have access to the same sets of signals. The TPT does not work, though, even after sitting for hours.

From my understanding, this is definitely 100% a software and configuration issue.

BTW, there are apps that will give you a bluetooth NMEA feed from your phone to your tablet if you don't have a GPS puck. ShareGPS or the widget-based GPS 2 BT (on the phone) might work if paired with the "Bluetooth GPS" app on the tablet. I can confirm that the "Bluetooth GPS" on the TPT does work with my Bluetooth GPS puck (not phone). This is on an unrooted, regular TPT.

WWAN
pghFL

bsnf - Still no gps fix. Do we have any updated information on when a fix is coming?
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

Do you know if someone found the reason allready ?

Are the 3G models working fine ore some at all ? 

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

Punch Card
balancing

I did the OTA 2 update without having the unit on the charger. It worked anyway, and now shows that it's operating the 86US update. My question is, does the battery firmware update still take since it wasn't on the charger when I did it?

WWAN
pghFL

bsnf - Still no gps fix. Do we have any updated information on when a fix is coming?
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO