Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
trock1

Re: OTA3 update (ICS 4.03)

Yes, Chrome beta may crash on your rooted TPT, and it may crash on a virgin TPT when ICS comes, but it's working great on my Galaxy ii phone, and it is beta, after all.  On the phone android environment it is a breath of fresh air among the available browsers, and Chrome in general is always in beta--internally updated constantly. That's something I'm looking forward to on my TPT.  That continuous quality improvement is a lesson Lenovo could learn from for the TPT, rather than a quarterly dump of a grab-bag of fixes: lowering pent-up expectations, but getting better every day.

SCSI Port
Neokazaki

@bsnf: Do you already have information about the ICS release and the "modifications" Lenovo made to stock ICS? I hope the devs did not change to much of the incredible vanilla ICS... e.g. the Home/Back Buttons on 3.1. They did not really fit the rest of the HC style... like a red Ferrari with green doors :smileytongue:

Token Ring
obscure_detour

Neokazaki wrote:

@bsnf: Do you already have information about the ICS release and the "modifications" Lenovo made to stock ICS? I hope the devs did not change to much of the incredible vanilla ICS... e.g. the Home/Back Buttons on 3.1. They did not really fit the rest of the HC style... like a red Ferrari with green doors :smileytongue:

I'm curious about this information also. I really hope they left it as vanilla as possible. The CM9 ICS Rom I have running on my TPT also has a "touch input" toggle bound to the browser hardware button. It simply turns off all touch input, therefore only pen touches work. It works wonders in apps that don't have palm rejection (i.e think PDF annotation). I really hope the ICS update includes a feature like this.

Punch Card
AlloyRabbit

I'd love vanilla ICS as well. I hate that manufacturers feel compelled to bloat their products with their needless customizations.

As for the pen-only mode, I'm pretty sure that's coming with ICS, though I don't know if it'll be controlled by a button--though I would presume so, unless there's some other way to re-enable touch without using the pen. 

Lenovo Staff
bsnf

Betreff: OTA3 update (ICS 4.03)

Neokazaki wrote:

Germy = WE.

@bsnf: Do you have information if 4.0.4 might be an option for a "OTA3.5" Update. Google seems to have included quite a lot fixes and improvements compared to 4.0.3:

http://goo.gl/93GCA

I have not heard of any discussion on 4.0.4 yet, however there has been a discussion of a update after OTA3. Don't know what it will be as the team is heads down trying to get this release out.

Lenovo Staff
bsnf

[ Edited ]

AlloyRabbit wrote:

I'd love vanilla ICS as well. I hate that manufacturers feel compelled to bloat their products with their needless customizations.

As for the pen-only mode, I'm pretty sure that's coming with ICS, though I don't know if it'll be controlled by a button--though I would presume so, unless there's some other way to re-enable touch without using the pen. 

The pen only mode has been implemented in the ICS release, however you need the pen to enable it and disable it.

Punch Card
AlloyRabbit

[ Edited ]

What happens if you lose or drop the pen, or if its battery dies, or if something goes wrong with the driver and it stops being recognized, etc.? 

Will it at least revert to touch-enabled if you turn the tablet off and on again?

Why not just remap a button to toggle this? Buttons won't be of much other use in ICS anyway. This would also make it easier to swap between a writing/drawing app and something like a web browser where touch is fine--thus allowing you to minimize wear and tear on the stylus, screen, and preserve pen battery life.

Having a button toggle touch functionality sounds like a no-brainer to me, for convenience if nothing else.

Will the toggle feature at least be easy to get to (i.e., on the taskbar)? Or will it be buried in system menus?

Sorry if I come off as frustrated. It's just bothersome that bsnf seems to be the only thing remotely resembling a line of communication that exists between the customers and people inside the Thinkpad dev team. Thanks for doing what you do, bsnf, it's not you I'm frustrated with. =P

HDMI
barbfxshow

Mapping one of the hardware buttons to exit pen-only mode might be a good option -- as would making the power button switch off the pen-only mode.

I can imagine plenty of ways that this could be done gracefully (extra menu item for what a long press of the power button does, or when resuming from sleep a re-enable pen-only mode is a one-touch action, etc.), but I have near zero confidence Lenovo's ThinkPad unit would carry out such a plan (they didn't make a no soft-button mode in the current iterationS when it was a no-brainer to do if possible).

The ThinkPad team has no way of even receiving our suggestions. They are in a bubble, don't hear our suggestions, have no system to receive our bug reports, report almost NOTHING ever to us officially, and give us VERY little contol over our own tablets.

If we want a manufacturer who is responsive to the concern of the user community, Lenovo is telling us loud and clear that they are not interested and that we should buy from someone else.

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838CTO (not rooted, from Lenovo Direct Japan); WiFi-only model (w/ Galaxy Note LTE as tether); 64GB system memory with Transcend 64GB Class 10 SDXC card; ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0039_0090_JP rom; GPS works (slowly) after 2012/04 return (power button had broke); Camera will not focus. (note: I have not re-tested these since the ICS update 2012/06/21) ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

WWAN
pghFL

barbfxshow - LOL I love your signature, especially the part that starts with GPS. And you are so right about the message that Lenovo is sending. Fairly unprofessional IMO.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Token Ring
manuelcalavera

bsnf wrote:
The pen only mode has been implemented in the ICS release, however you need the pen to enable it and disable it.

This is the reason I've kept my device. Thanks for the information bsnf.

As for enabling/desabling, I've suggested in this topic before :

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Why-Pen-Only-mode-for-whole-OS-is-a-must-Proof/m-...

Pressing and holding a physical button is the best way, I dont know maybe they have tried it and using the pen is more suitable way,

----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U