Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
AlloyRabbit

Pen/Stylus Calibration?

[ Edited ]

I recently bought a TPT, it was updated beyond the point of being rootable when I got it, so I've been wondering this for a while: 

Is there, or will there be, a way to calibrate the pen? I like to have the pen draw a few millimeters offset to the side from the physical tip, so that I can see what I'm doing and it's not hidden by the pen tip itself. In Windows TabletPCs, all you have to do is purposely mis-calibrate the stylus so that the tip is recognized a few millimeters from where it really is.

On android, this currently doesn't seem possible. Does anyone know if ICS lets you manually calibrate the pen? Does Lenovo have any plans to introduce such a thing? I'd really love this. Currently it feels like drawing with a crayon when I try to sketch. I never know exactly where the lines will start.

Secondly, on other android devices with styluses, TouchScreenTune lets you change the minimum stroke distance to zero, so that you can write and draw very very small things without being forced to move the pen a certain distance to get the stroke to register. Will ICS have this feature? Will Lenovo provide it?

I am glad to hear that the ICS update will let users enable pen-only mode. The palm rejection is iffy at best, so this is a big help. But I'd hate to see these other two issues persist.

On a side-note, what are the chances of being able to re-map a hardware button to toggle the pen-only mode? I've heard others suggest a long-press on the rotate lock button; this sounds like a good idea to me.

WWAN
pghFL

Re: Pen/Stylus Calibration?

WritePad Stylus lets you calibrate the stylus. You could then mis-calibrate it. Not sure if that will help. You can find it in the Android Market.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
AlloyRabbit

I may give that a shot, but I'm looking for something system-wide, so I can use it in other drawing apps (namely Sketchbook Pro). 

Thanks for the suggestion though.

WWAN
pghFL

Isn't there an offset setting in the app? I seem to remember one.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
ron2k_1

Wow!

something wrong with the calibration of the pen on this particular app (Sketchbook Pro) indeed! I decided to try it out last night.  Tried to draw something and definitely my strucks appear not where I want them.  It's slightly off, not much, but enough to make it frustrating and dissapointing.  I got discouraged real quick in finishing the drawing I was trying to complete.

Has anybody seen a manual for this app by the way?

I'm sure that not knowing how to use the app contributed to my frustration and discouragement.  But the strokes not appearing where I'd want them is definitely really bad.  Maybe the app was not really made for Pen Input, and the developer didn't really bother to make it accurate as he/she thought that you'd be using your finger anyways.

I'd say it's the app as I noticed that eventually it became harder and harder for the app to recognize my apps. Sometimes there was a lag (as long as 3 seconds sometimes).  And sometimes it will not recognize my strokes at all, i.e. I'll draw something with Pen, and the App will do nothing on the screen...

I'd probraby try another app for drawing as this one actually kinda sucks so far.

Ron

WWAN
pghFL

Did you go into settings and customize it? I didn't find an issue with the stylus while using SBP.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
AlloyRabbit

[ Edited ]

Make sure you have stylus pressure enabled. It's in the app's settings. Also give a look through the help/tutorial thingy, it's in the options too. I really wish the android interface for this app was the same as it is on the Windows version, but it's got enough differences to be worth the quick tutorial.

There is an offset option, but that's made for fingerpainting. Basically it places a cursor (and the stroke) about an inch above wherever it's actually being drawn. The idea is that you could use your finger to draw without it being in the way. It doesn't really work very well, but I applaud their effort.

Anyway, there's currently no in-app way to control exactly where the stroke appears relative to the stylus tip.