Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
gratyork

Re: Power button problems

Update: 

My TPT has been with UK support for almost two weeks now. I've called a couple of times and told: 

1. The part required is on order

2. You can call us tomorrow to escalate to obtain a ETA for the part

3. (after calling again). "No information, we will contact you to let you know to let you know when we have an ETA". 

So I guess the line of "we aim to repair your item within 5 business days " is marketing catch.

Fanfold Paper
rconguam

[ Edited ]

My problems with the switches started when my "volume up" switch stopped working..........a day later I couldn't power on the tablet. I opened my tablet to find the micro switches had fallen off the front facing camera board. The front facing camera board (04W2155) contains the volume up/down and the power on/off switches....upon closer exam, it is just a matter of time before ALL ThinkPad Tablets out there fail. The switches are held to the board by three small solder points........ Note to Lenovo: If the two metal post on the switch were long enough to extend all the way through the board and bent on the underside it may give additional support.

Punch Card
PeterK85

The real problem is, if Lenovo simply replaces the broken part with an identical new one, the Problem will only be "solved" for the next few months,  no problem since the warranty for the replaced part will be renewed for the full time ( at least in Austrian law ). But it will be extremely annoying sending the TPT to the repair center over and over again...

Punch Card
mithrandir1

My TPT arrived at the service center last friday afternoon. Yesterday the status in the web tracking system changed to "Reparatur in Bearbeitung. Kontaktieren Sie bitte den Kundendienst.". Not sure what to do now, I decided to change the language  in the tracking system to english and now everything was clear "Repair On Hold - Contact Call Center" (IBM is well known for there translations ;-)). I called the support center and thy guy told me that there is a problem with the serial number and I should tell him the right one. I told him that I don't have the correct serial number becaus it is only on the device and this is the only TPT I own. He changed the serial number in the system an hopefully the repair could continue ;-). I wished they sent an email.

Punch Card
drw170

The volume switches and the power switch are identical switches and are mounted to the board in the same manner.  My power switch came off of the board several weeks ago.  I was able to get an IBM repair rep to come to my office to install a new board, but when he got here discovered that he had the wrong board.  But, I got to see inside the unit and see what actually happened.

The switch is soldered to the board (forward facing camera assembly). It appears that it was a cold solder joint or some other reason the solder did not completely adhere to the switch terminals.  While I do NOT recommend this, if you are experienced with soldering and have a soldering iron with a VERY small tip, it would not be difficult to reattach the switch.  But I expect this would void the warranty if you ever need to send it in for other reasons. 

DRW

Token Ring
niksch

@drw170 Do you think one could use something like JB Weld instead of regular solder?
Fanfold Paper
rconguam

No, JB Weld will not work.....JB Weld is an insulator not a conductor.

Token Ring
niksch

Thanks.  I figured that would be the case.

SCSI Port
egilwh

Status on my TPT:

6th Dec - Supposed to be picked up by UPS

9th Dec - Actually picked up

13th Dec - Arrived Repair Centre Frankfurt

14th Dec - Repair on hold - waiting for parts

Does not expect to see it before Christmas.... :-(

TPT 64GB 3G - 18382DG - 00132_WE
Laptop X200
Laptop X41
Punch Card
jokney

Today I bring my tablet back from service center. Button was changed and repair was under warranty.

It tooks only 4 days and communication with local service centre (Slovakia) was quick and smooth.

I hope it will be without problems for more than 2 months :smileyhappy: