Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
kartikatre

Re: Power button problems

For the technically challenged.. Hope this helps someone

Faced the same issue as others, in that, the power button slowly failed and stopped working one day. :robotmad: Sending it for repairs and NOT having the tablet for an extended period of time was not an option for me. So opened the Thinkpad up as per the excellent instructional video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfTesDJ0JKo

Faced with the problem of soldering the switch and I am quite inexperienced..the 3 solder points are actually quite small for the lay person. I just held the switch in place (making sure all contacts were apposed) with sticky tape and packed the space around and over the switch with foam tape (double sided). Make sure you don't cover the camera lens when you do this. Make sure again that this assembly works.

Now close the TPT as instructed in the video..The foam tape will get squashed  and hold the switch in place once the TPT is closed.

Its been close to a month and the TPT power button has stayed good..:robotwink:

Just bear in mind that you probably will kiss your warranty goodbye with the above

Paper Tape
krissto

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately after about one month of usage my TPT's power button is dead. 

We will see how Lenovo support works in Poland? 

Punch Card
jokney

Hello,

I dont know exactly how it is Poland, but I got the same problem in Slovakia.
I checked list of lenovo (thinkpad) service partners on resellers website in my region (Bratislava), and brought my TPT there.
TPT was repaired under warranty in one week. Im 100% satisfied with service.
Punch Card
ZAMOGONZ

Final update: After 3 weeks (from Dec 22 until Jan 09) I got my TPT back, repaired (apparently) and working. My question was (and is): For how long?

Again, after 1 week of intensive use, it seems to have the same problem, power button unresponsive. In my view this is sistemic problem, a wrong design, a failure, you name it. if this goes on iI will have to send it again to Lenovo service center. Another (big) disappointment!!!!!

Paper Tape
omadri7231

Hello everyone,

I also encountered the slow death of the power button with my thinkpad Tablet. I setup a ticket to send my TPT in for repair or replacement today.   Based on the frequency of this issue, it seems that the power button failure is a manufacturing defect from an engineering standpoint.  I have been through this process with HP on one of their computers.  I would send it in and they fixed the problem with a replacement part that would eventually go bad.  I  sent it in again and they perform the same replacement.  As a consumer, you are inconveneinced with a faulty product that requires constant repair until your warranty runs out.  Then you are left with a useless product that you have to fix yourself or pay to have it repaired temporarily.

I hope Lenovo takes the high road and provides consumers of the ThinkPad Tablet with an extended warranty of several years, a refund, or a replacement with an engineering fix to the issue.  If Lenovo does not provide a reasonable outcome to our issue, they had better get ready for a class action lawsuit.  This forum is full of consumers with the same issue!

Token Ring
niksch

I've had my TPT since October, and I have been carefully monitoring the power button and the micro USB port for failures.  So far so good I guess, but eventually one or both will fail.

If my power button fails, I'll just dispense with the Lenovo service and have one of the techs at my small electronic engineering company fix it for me.  At least I can be confident in that repair, and I will only be without my TPT for 30 minutes or so.  I know it will void the warranty, but like omadri7231 said, we could be in this cycle until the warranty runs out and we are left to fend for ourselves.

WWAN
pghFL

So okay if I send mine to your firm when it goes? No confidence in Lenovo at this point. :smileywink:

This is my 2nd one and so far both components are holding. I admit to being ginger with the USB in hopes it will last out the warranty, at which point I'll rip it open and do as I wish with it.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Token Ring
niksch

[ Edited ]

"So okay if I send mine to your firm when it goes? No confidence in Lenovo at this point. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I hold my techs in high regard, but let me see how they do on mine before I promise anything. :smileyhappy:  It's kind of like the vintage fountain pens I repair in my spare time.  I want to make sure I can do it right before I take on a friend's.

Punch Card
sionathan

Chalk up one more suddenly failed power button...  *sigh*  Just called Lenovo support and they're sending me a box for it.

First TPT i received suffered a backlight failure after about 5 days.  RMA'ed that with the vendor, but now 2 months later this otherwise perfect unit stops registering power button events. We have 1 other TPT in my department, and it belongs to our division director... hopefully his doesnt suffer the same luck mine does, or we'll never be able to get more of them.  As much as i'd like to say thats a bad thing, i'm not sure if i can?  :smileysad:

We've bought upwards of 40 iPads in the past 3 months, and my TPT is often the envy of all of them... except that i cant use any of the VPN clients the iPads can (thanks Honeycomb! not), and now i'm in need of a second repair order so soon.  When my TPT isnt being envied, its a laughing stock. A lot of us want to love you, but you're killing us here!

Lenovo, this directly translates to lost sales for you, and the Android ecosystem at large.  I hope someone up there is paying attention and learning lessons...

SCSI Port
ybrevic

Completing the cycle, the replacement TPT arrived Jan 18.  As stated by Mark previously, this is a new unit shipped directly from the factory with the 75_US version installed.  The power/volume buttons have the "click" so I suspect the new units reflect an engineering change.  Can't tell about the micro-USB fix as yet.  The GPS is still pathetic (and annoying).

The unit arrived at least a week earlier than projected, so I'm happy for that and appreciate Lenovo's efficiency on this part.  Unfortunately, the final summary is that it took about 6 weeks to resolve the problem, and so far almost 50% of total possession time has been with a non-functional or absentee tablet.  They did extend the warranty by 3 months.

I hope this is my last post on this....