Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
nabilazhar

Re: Power button problems

My power button had been fine until last week when it stopped working completely. Sent it in on Tuesday (2/14) and still haven't recieved it back. Checked with Lenovo and they said they're waiting on a part (something to do with the camera) and expected it in on 2/29. I know its not as long as a lot of other people have had to wait for their repair but even 2 weeks is ridiculous for this! I'm very frustrated with my tablet experience on both hardware and software fronts.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bcampana

[ Edited ]

Mine broke yesterday, but I ended up fixing it myself. I was going to send it in but couldnt boot the device in order to wipe its data first. It was rather easy, just three (small) solder points and I applied some epoxy to strenghten the component (its been designed rather badly, I'm not surprised it broke). It might be a good idea to add the epoxy even if your TPT isnt broken =P (if you dont mind the warranty issue). Heres a reference pic of my TPT when it was broken:

Link to picture

It took less than 10 minutes to open the device, solder the button back on, and apply the epoxy. I let it cure over night and just closed it back up. Works great! The button's refound clickyness is satisfying =)

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

802.11n
slpin

their "revised" power board is simply the exact same board with glue on it. that is their "engineering update"... so i think your epoxy will do great! :smileyhappy:
SCSI Port
d_lane

[ Edited ]

As I posted earlier my power button that failed in a little over a month after I first bought the TPT, was "repaired" in mid December, begain to fail again at the first part of Feb.  The choice was send it back in for another "repair" with yet another defective part, or repair it myself.

As bcampana mentions the button is held on only by three tiny, poorly soldered points.  My switch was angled backwards which is what causes the "mushy" feel of the button just prior to the complete failure that bcampana experienced.   On each side of the button (which is VERY small) there are two posts, which normally would be used to anchor the button to the PC board. This is typically done with solder on the underside of the board.

I did not take the board out of the TPT to examine the underside, but I didn't have to. It is painfully clear that the switch is NOT properly mounted to the board. There is simply no way that Lenovo did not know this. Pathetic.

The fix is a simple one and will last a lot longer than replacing the defective part with another defective part.  I've linked to a photo that shows exactly where to put the epoxy.  It can be done in a just a few minutes, and there is no soldering needed. (That is, unless your switch has broken off. And, unless you have reasonably good soldering skills, as bcampana must have, you're better off sending it in to be repaired - THEN applying the epoxy.)

I used a 1 minute, self mixing epoxy, and applied it with a 12" bamboo skewer.  You could use a toothpick, but it seemed easier with a longer reach.   Just squeeze out the first bit of epoxy onto a waste area to get rid of any improperly mixed product.  Then squeeze out some on to a work area.  Roll the point of the skewer in the mixed epoxy, and the apply a drop to each of the two points (in the photo), while holding the switch down.  Two small, neat drops is all you need.

Hold for 1 minute and allow to cure for a few hours before closing up the TPT.

Note:  This will likely void your warranty, so proceed with caution and with that understanding.

The photo - EPOXY POINTS.

Blue Screen Again
Claudius

I have sent mine February 8th. and it is still waiting for parts. Still dont know when it's coming back.

The job will be done by Teleplan in Frankfurt. Anyone having the same experience?

-- Thinkpad X220 -- ThinkPad Tablet WiFi + 3G, 32 GB SSD --
HDMI
mpad

@bcampana: where's the button? - hilarious picture!

sadly mine is starting to feel funny too. just waiting to finally open that thing up :-p

SCSI Port
d_lane

mpad wrote:

@bcampana: where's the button? - hilarious picture!

sadly mine is starting to feel funny too. just waiting to finally open that thing up :-p

Don't wait too long.  If it's feeling mushy, it is going to break off.   It's a lot easier to fix (as I mentioned above) when the switch can simply be secured to the board, rather than having to solder it back on.

Punch Card
Vyza

Although I was quite annoyed that the Power Button failed in the first place, my TPT was repaired and returned within one week after calling customer service.  I was quite pleased with the quick turn-around from Lenovo's Atlanta depot and I'm happy to hear the soft "click" that the button now makes whenever I press it.

ThinkPad Tablet
1838CTO (64GB, Wi-Fi Only)
ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0039_0086_US
SCSI Port
d_lane

Vyza wrote:

Although I was quite annoyed that the Power Button failed in the first place, my TPT was repaired and returned within one week after calling customer service.  I was quite pleased with the quick turn-around from Lenovo's Atlanta depot and I'm happy to hear the soft "click" that the button now makes whenever I press it.

I wouldn't get used to it if I were you.   Mine "clicked" for a little over 2 months then went mushy again. 

Punch Card
Julian-droid

hy,

i got my tablet back, they fixed it. But now I'm not able to root. I had root before but now i got the exploid failed error. I tried to install OTA 2 but I got a errror an than the tablet restarts.