Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
paulmcdaid

Power on problem and paradox

Folks, I have seen a number of posts relating to power on problems. People seem to say that the tablet is charged but it just wont power on. I have this problem too and I wonder if someone has already had the problem and has a fix.

I turned the brightness way down to 0%. The screen went blank, effectively turning off. Now I have a classic Catch 22 - I can't see the screen to increase the brightness so that I can see the screen!.

Any ideas ?

jiv
802.11n
jiv

Re: Power on problem and paradox

Even with brightness at 0, you should still be able to see the screen. Your problem doesn't sound like a screen brightness issue, but more of a "won't turn on" issue

Fanfold Paper
paulmcdaid

Jiv, I would be inclined to agree with you except of one small additional factor. The screen went totally blank at the instant I set the screen brightness to 0%. So it seems too much of a coincidence to me.

Moreover when I power the tablet on, the initial boot screens, where the Lenovo logo flashes are visible, however when the tablet seems to launch Android it goes blank HOWEVER it proceeds to make the noises associated with a powering on device such as the connection sound when it connects to the wireless network and 3G.

I'm 99% sure its running. I just cant see the screen to change the brightness !!!!

jiv
802.11n
jiv

Have you tried doing a reset? You will lose whatever is not stock but I'm afraid that might be the only way to try and fix it, because I don't think I've come across this problem on this forum.

If that doesnt work, you might just want to send it in for servicing.

Fanfold Paper
paulmcdaid

Thanks Jiv, I have owned this thing for about 3 weeks now. It happened before about 2 weeks ago and I did do a factory reset. I can't remeber the sequence of events that led up to the screen blanking out then so I really can't say if it is the same cause.

I called Lenovo support this AM and am bringing it in for them to look at and I hope they can find root cause and fix it.

Now clearly if this type of thing were to happen every 2 weeks and required a factory reset each time it would make the device functionally useless.If they fix it and convince me it is permanent then great. If not then it goes back. 

802.11n
splotz

Did you use an app to turn it down to  0% ?

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

Fanfold Paper
paulmcdaid

Yes I did, it was "Brightness Level" by Curvefish.

Fanfold Paper
paulmcdaid

Folks,

the "Brightness Level" widget caused the problem. I factory reset the tablet, reinstalled the Brightness level app, set the brightness to 0%, turned it off ..... and when I turned it back on again the same problem manifested; I could not see the screen, it did not light up although the tablet was clearly on.

So the specific lesson is that if you set the brightness to 0% with the "Brightness Level" 3rd party widget AND the tablet turns off (not necessarily a full power off) THEN when you go to start it again the screen won't light up.

I wonder if this is a generic issue with the tablet ? I do own a HTC Desire HD and have been running a host of apps on it under android 2.3 for over a year. Maybe the TPT is more sensitive to its apps ? or maybe it is the Android version ?

Who knows, but this problem is fixed and I have root cause so I will rest easy.

Thank you all who offered help!

802.11n
is1981

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul,

Shouldn't the "Solved" mark be for splotz?  He, not you, gave you the right answer so he earns the solved mark.

Fanfold Paper
paulmcdaid

It probably should Sobrado, I actually thought he mark pertained to the problem and noit the solver. If anyone knows how to reallocate it thus please let me know and I will do it.

In the meantime I have been experimenting with a few other of these brightness widgets. It seems like a pretty consistent problem. I got two other widgets to function (or mal-function?) in the the same way.

I also carried out another experiment to test the hypothysis that the tablet is actually "on and active" but you just can't see it. I placed an overhead foil on the screen and marked out areas to unlock the screen and reset the brightness to "Auto".  I then caused the screen to blank out, and used the template to navigate blind to reenable auto brightness. It didnt work. So I am now thinking that these things do lock the tablet up in some odd way.

Anyhow. My lesson for today: *** AVOID 3rd PARTY BRIGHTNESS WIDGETS ON THE TPT ***.