Support in other languages: 
Guru
Mornsgrans

Powerbutton and widget for device lock

[ Edited ]

Many users complain about a "power-button issue" which won't work anymore one day.

The reason seems to be a too high pressure on the power button while turning on or off the TPT. Impatient users seem to press a second or third time with higher pressure (and for a longer time) until the micro switch damages.

The power button hugs on a micro switch. In a quiet envorenment you even can hear a quietly "cklick", if you press gentle the power button.

To turn on the TPT you only need to press gentle the power button for about 2-3 seconds until the TPT vibrates for half a second.

Also press gentle the power button to turn off until the shut down dialog appears.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
WWAN
pghFL

Re: Powerbutton - be gentle with it!!

Seriously?! "Be gentle with it." This is a design flaw, not users beating on the button. This is normal everyday button use. Please read up on it first, then reply
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,277
Solutions: 276

pghFL,

It is understood that we've had some buttons break and have taken action to improve - strengthen solder / attachment of the microswitch, adjust stroke minutely, etc to make it more robust.  But , I think Mornsgrans advice is still fair - if we explain what is behind the outward button, new users may understand the mechanism is somewhat more delicate than it outwardly seems and treat it accordingly.

I agree the tablet should be able to hold up to daily use - no dispute there.

We aren't saying to only push on it with a feather. :smileyhappy:

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

WWAN
pghFL

I appreciate your input Mark, but hopefully, you agree that a power button - given that its used to turn the tablet on, off, and put it to sleep, should be sturdier than the one installed, and should function far longer than the two months users are experiencing. Even the replaced buttons are only lasting two months, so nothing has been done to fix the problem.

I have a phone purchased in 2009 and I use the power button daily, multiple times. It has never faied
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Guru
ExJamJus

Personally I'm using a widget that will lock the device thus I don't need to press the Power button to turn the device off, from that you can reduce the "tear" by half... I remember the K1 has the widget however am not sure if its available via stock on the TPT however you can always download that free widget via App Store.
*Non Lenovo employee*
SCSI Port
GraficArtist

What's the name of the widget?
Guru
ExJamJus

[ Edited ]

Am using Powerful Switchman ... Its a free app.

Powerful Switchman

After you have downloaded it, add it as a widget  and use "Lock" feature. Press on the "Lock" it would then turn off your device and it works as a power switch.

*Non Lenovo employee*
jiv
802.11n
jiv

Either Beautiful Widgets or HD widgets has a lock button that you can add as a widget. But I don't think these two free apps if you don't have them already.

Punch Card
RHJ_Doeleman

Huh? When I try to download Powerful Switchman, the appstore claims "This app is incompatible with your Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet"
802.11n
slpin

Re: Powerbutton and widget for device lock

I suppose think pad tablet users just have a different gene.... xoom or galaxy tab owners doesn't seem to have any power button issues.... they are probably just weak.