Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
comment

Product and Review Observations

I visited the board often before making my purchase. After making a purchase my initial observations are as follows

1.) Physical Keys :  I have not experienced the need the need to "turn off " the hard keys. Also I believe the hard key design was aimed at making the tablet easier to use when holding it in lanscape mode.  I never have an issue with accidentally pressing them nor do I find them hard to depress.  I consider the hard key design a nice feature

2 .) A-GPS:  With WiFi turned on and reasonably near a window I get a fix within a few minutes. Are the complaints on this board based on WiFi and 3G being off?  I am not a GPS expert but a very limited google search on the subject leads me to believe that depending on certain initial conditions and they type of GPS tech used that long acquisition times are possilbe under certain conditions. 

3.) Forced Closes:  Happens rarely. But freezes have happened on the iPAD I have access to.

4.) USB Charging Port.  This is the issue that concerns me most. Having built electronic products I understand that edge connectors are a potential weak spot in any design. I take great care not to place any torque on what I think is a slightly stickly connector. But in a good design I would not have to worry about this. Not sure if this is still a problem or not as I take care to avoid it.

5.) If the Lenovo keyboard did not use the USB port and not provide another I would have gotten it also. Instead I will buy a bluetooth keyboard. This is a design oversight from my vantage point.

6.) Somewhat misleading SW advertising....... The print / virus / security included SW requires additional payments........

I did buy the print app I will seek other apps for the others.

I will likely post more later. But my view of the device is that it is an excellent Business Tablet due to the Pen and UI. In terms of content consumption the iPAD is better ( than any Android ) but the ports , Pen and  memory options make it the best overall tablet on the market.  The transformer with keyboard is attractive but no pen and the extra cost are a concern.

So far so good would be an accurate description of my experience so far..................

This board has been very helpful in helping me to select apps that make the device even more useful.  

802.11n
is1981

Re: Product and Review Observations

comment wrote:

4.) USB Charging Port.  This is the issue that concerns me most. Having built electronic products I understand that edge connectors are a potential weak spot in any design. I take great care not to place any torque on what I think is a slightly stickly connector. But in a good design I would not have to worry about this. Not sure if this is still a problem or not as I take care to avoid it.

Don't miss the power-up button either, as it may fail on some units.

When was your tablet built?  If it was manufactured recently I would say that it possibly comes with some revised boards that will make both the power-up button and micro-USB port more reliable.

Paper Tape
mandospags

Re: Product and Review Observations

[ Edited ]

I am also frustrated by the built in applications- for example I click on something called 'oovoo' and it comes up with a screen asking me for email address password etc. No explanation of what the application is or what it does, no link to a web page or an 'about' screen. Nothing. The same applied to some of the other applications such as arcsoft, with also no explanation of what it does  - only found out after I had installed dropbox anyway.

Computrace - this sounds intriguing - but how do I actually use it? What happens if I lose my thinkpad, how do I actually trace it, or wipe its contents?

One of the major advantages of this tablet over most others is the pen, but only one pen enable app installed! Why no sketchbook express, PDF annotation? I read the release of the galaxy note today and it has photoshop, adobe ideas, and several others pre-installed.... Instead I have games and other crap pre-installed that every other tablet has as well. These are all free applications anyway but lenovo should be highlighting the unique features of the tablet... Along the same lines the 'usb' copy app should be improved upon, and a backup application added that makes use of the usb/sdcard as this is another unique feature of the TPT.

The only remaining advantage of the TPT is that its a thinkpad and its a Lenovo. But time will tell how long it is supported for and how long OS updates are issued after ICS...  These things will be depreciated over several years and no business will be investing in or rolling out the TPT or its successor if this model is abandoned. (unlike the consumer market where its more accepted for a device to go obsolete every year).

Other than that I am happy with the TPT and it has exceeded my expectations in terms of usefulness. The lenovoi extensions such as the app wheel are useful and seems to be the only way I can switch between ezPDF and other apps without closing the docuemtn I am working on.  I can't wait for ICS because the android 3.1 version is terrible and makes me think back to windows 3.1 days...

Also, thank goodness for this forum as else I wouldnt have any clue about which apps make good use of the pen!