Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
p600

Re: [REQ] Ubuntu on Android

Well, the problem is not the 720p (which would be plenty for many purposes), but the inability of TPT to switch to a different resolution when an external monitor is connected, so pixel-perfect rendering (very important for displaying text) is impossible. Any notebook can do that (and also can have 2+ monitors with different resolutions attached at the same time).

802.11n
ameridian

[ Edited ]

If your smartphone/tablet can do all and you need only a screen and keyboard + mouse somewhere, i dont see why not.

I imagine a smart phone can do all for some people now. But people like me would be wondering where is the BR/DVD player and the real storage, just for starters, in your scenario. Example, I have over 30GB of photographs on the PC I'm using now.

It is currently a pipe dream for those who aren't caught up in the hype. The PC outlived Steve Jobs.

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

I think if one needs GPU and CPU Power a low cost / low power Computer is of course still not suitable.

Dont know if eg a quad core ARM would be able to handle that.
But if you need power you have still to produce heat these days
and you need more energy :smileyhappy:

Other Video (not canonical afaik):
Installation and running on a single core HTC Desire S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqzs8yQTM8&feature=related

(It seems there was even a captureprg running in background:

"Note that most of the lag in the video is due to the screen capture program I used, ubuntu runs very well on my phone and will run even better on tablets and newer phones!") 

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

HDMI
yahoowizard

I don't think we even need a Dock, right? I mean, we already have USB and HDMI outputs, so that allows for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, so that's good enough. The main thing we do need is Lenovo to go on http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android and go sign up with them or w/e, since it requires that a Network Operator or a Mobile Manufacturer go talk with them.
802.11n
p600

Dock permits fast charging, and also charging when tablet is not switched off.

Anyway, Lenovo may do something about it for they future phones or tablets, but such massive changes to the already old TPT are highly unlikely IMO.

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

Well, root for us would already be good enough.

Or it means we have to change to other Brands where you can work with the devices, also in near future.

I hope, if Ubuntu on the TPT could run "good enough" Lenovo will give it or root access to us.

Lenovo still has a chance to show how much "Love" there is in Lenovo..... 

edit: Or at all 

edit2:

Having all Android Smartphone apps and Ubuntu apps, that buzzes

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

SCSI Port
twospirits

When i first read this I laughed becuase it is what some folks over in xda alaready have accomplished with their smartphones.

Case in point, I have a motorola Photon 4G, it is one of the devices (among 5 others)  that has has a capability to display a webtop (linux) environment onto a lapdock or external monitor. Allowing you to surf the web, make calls, etc etc.

While the concept is great, it still left alot to be desired. Folks over at xda managed to actually strip the webtop and include a full ubuntu environment in its place and once you connect the device to your dock or directly to your tv, you have a ubuntu working environment.

With Google's purchase of Motorola, i envision this concept taken further, so much that word has it that Android 5.0 jelly bean will incorporate such a setup as normal in the code.

now with Canonical trying to make it happen i see this concept going full steam ahead.

Now whether lenovo allows this to happen on the thinkpad is something i have my doubts with.

TS

HDMI
yahoowizard

Well, Lenovo has already been exceeding my expectations, so I'll have to say it's possible.
802.11n
ameridian

p600 wrote:

But still, working on external monitor even then would be a problem because of 720p limit (and 800 pixels on screen). The produced quality after 800->720->1080 resamples may be acceptable for low-resolution video, or presentations in huge fonts, but browsing or editing text like that is even worse than on 10" tablet screen. Considering that other Tegra2-based tablets featuring HDMI ports have the same limitation, it could be chipset limitation, not something that Lenovo could fix, so they decided not to bother with adding a very poor-quality feature.

~

I hooked up the TPT to a 42" HD TV and now have it connected to this monitor. As was pointed out earlier, the TPT goes into landscape mode when connected via HDMI so portrait orientation has nothing to do with the HDMI port omission on the dock. Also, the text is more than adequate for just about anything. Trust me, poor quality had nothing to do with the omission. Furthermore, if that made any sense then there would be no HDMI port on the TPT either.

802.11n
p600

I hooked up the TPT to a 42" HD TV and now have it connected to this monitor. As was pointed out earlier, the TPT goes into landscape mode when connected via HDMI so portrait orientation has nothing to do with the HDMI port omission on the dock. Also, the text is more than adequate for just about anything. Trust me, poor quality had nothing to do with the omission. Furthermore, if that made any sense then there would be no HDMI port on the TPT either.

TPT goes to landscape mode once plugged in to HDMI, of course. Which is exactly the problem:  you end up with unusable device in dock, unless the whole construction is put on a side. With HDMI port in the device there is no such problem,  TPT screen stays usable.

As to quality, while it could be adequate for some purposes, with my (not exactly high) standards external monitor is not usable as a primary screen: text quality is horrible, fuzzy and font smoothing goes out of the window. 

I doubt it's the only, or even the major, reason of HDMI socket left unsoldered on the dock. More likely Lenovo hit some issues close the release, and chose to remove the socket rather than fix it, and/or decided to shave a few pennies off the dock price.  But even if they didn't, it would be a very half baked feature anyway.