Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
lpasq

Re: Root/Super User Access/Signature Verification

It is possible that boot.img edit will disable ability for system updates from Lenovo?
Punch Card
donchang

Is there a full image for us to flash from recovery just in case something goes wrong?

I really want to set ro.secure = 0 and see if that would let me adb remount. I'm fairly new to pioneering a root.

Punch Card
a3955269

lpasq wrote:

It is possible that boot.img edit will disable ability for system updates from Lenovo?

how are you going to flash the img back? for apx mode we need the sbk which lenovo wont give us :smileyhappy:

donchang wrote:

I really want to set ro.secure = 0 and see if that would let me adb remount

you can't change that property without beeing root :smileyhappy:
you would need an officially signed update.zip
we need to wait until someone comes up with a local root exploit before we can change a thing on this freaking tablet.
just a having an unlocked bootloader is worth sh*t right now
Fanfold Paper
wahlsn

I also support this request here! We need root access for bussiness application. But the most important right now is the NTFS support to mount large USB HDs. I am using linux at home but at work I only get NTFS drives.

Punch Card
froader

We need to be able to back up app data among other things that require root. Its pretty difficult to consider this a business device without admin rights.
Retired Employee
KayL

Actually, the opposite is true. For corporate customer's admins it would be a nightmare if the device could be rooted, because the users could then easily overcome any preinstalled configurations/restrictions. Don't get me wrong on that - I would personally love to have my TPT rooted as well, and I'm quite sure that it will happen sooner or later. But thinking that the TBT should be rootable because it's a business Tablet is IMHO simply wrong. :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
a3955269

KayL wrote:

Actually, the opposite is true. For corporate customer's admins it would be a nightmare if the device could be rooted, because the users could then easily overcome any preinstalled configurations/restrictions. Don't get me wrong on that - I would personally love to have my TPT rooted as well, and I'm quite sure that it will happen sooner or later. But thinking that the TBT should be rootable because it's a business Tablet is IMHO simply wrong. :smileyhappy:

well that quite depends on how root access is gained. if its well proteced w/ a passwd (su/sudo) theres nothing wring w/ having root access. but as it stands now this thing shipped w/ crap/spyware like socialtouch/gtalk w/ no way to remove it. thats why i want root, installing droidwall, sim blocker, adblocker and modifiying /etc/hosts.
802.11n
Volker1

KayL wrote:

Actually, the opposite is true. For corporate customer's admins it would be a nightmare if the device could be rooted, because the users could then easily overcome any preinstalled configurations/restrictions. 

Which is also why Lenovo sells its laptops without access to the administrator account, right?

Retired Employee
KayL

I don't think that you can compare a notebook and an Android-based Tablet this way. On a notebook you can install any OS you want, be it Windows, Linux or whatever. An Android Tablet on the other hand is not meant (at least not originally) to have any other OS running on it than the OS it comes with.

Besides of that, I do not know any manufacturer of Android Tablets that delivers its devices rooted, or that offers a tool to do this. All root methods for all Android devices that I am aware of originate from communities (like XDADevs).

When I talk to the guys in corporate businesses that are responsible for preparing and deploying client computer systems, none of them ever asked for root access on Android devices, not only because they don't need it (for what should they need it for?), but especially because they fear the risks that the ability for their end users to root the device would cause.

Again, you don't have to convince ME. I would love to have my TPT rooted. But you can rest assured that this is not something that corporate customers would like to see.

802.11n
Volker1

KayL wrote:

Besides of that, I do not know any manufacturer of Android Tablets that delivers its devices rooted, or that offers a tool to do this.

Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 allows you to unlock the bootloader with the standard "fastboot oem unlock" command.

I don't understand how the IT depts that would deploy the tablet didn't ask for a way to flash a custom image. Maybe they just weren't aware that it is not possible and you would have to manually install programs and adjust settings?