Support in other languages: 
jsi
Punch Card
jsi

Some additional issues

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share some of my impressions and issues that I have with the TPT.

First, my configuration is a TPT 32GB incl. WLAN + 3G (I don't have the exact model number at hand at the moment). The installed base software is the latest version released (0076_WE).

While my overall impressions with the device are rather positive (I'm using the device mainly for surfing the web, reading e-mails and browsing social networks) there are also issues that are somewhat annoying.

1. From time to time the device requests the input of the PIN of my SIM card again and again although I've unlocked the card successfully before and the device wasn't restarted in the meantime.

2. The integerated e-mail client (not GMail) seems to ignore some settings regarding to the frequency of synchronization. I've configured my Windows Live Hotmail account using the e-mail client. To save battery I've set the frequency of automatic synchronization from "Push" to "Never/Manual". This works perfectly on my Android-powered mobile phone but not on my TPT. Every mail that is received by the mail server immediately shows up as a notification on my TPT even if the e-mail app isn't active (seems like push behavior to me). Also when I disable e-mail sync in the quick settings menu (tap on the clock in the main sceen status bar and the choose the settings icon) I'm notified that the process com.android.exchange has crashed.

3. To save battery power my Android-powered mobile phone switches off WLAN when it's screen gets locked and enables it again when the screen gets unlocked. I've the impression that WLAN on the TPT remains active when the screen is locked. I think that a great deal of battery power can be saved if Lenovo could also implement the same behavior as my mobile's software does. When I switch off WLAN by hand and enable 3G mobile network for data transfer my impression is that I can work somewhat longer with one battery charge.

4. Some entries in the settings menu in the german version of the TPT's software are not translated properly. E.g. in the USB settings menu some entries show up in french...

Again, I've some very positive experiences using the TPT for about 3 weeks now. With the latest software update some annoying issues were fixed (flickering screen when loading the tablet) but I'd like to see more effort by the guys from Lenovo in fixing bugs in the TPT software.

Best regards,

Jens

Punch Card
thomega

Re: Some additional issues

But switching off WLAN when the screen is locked must  be optional, so that one can transfer larger files without the scren consuming power.

jsi
Punch Card
jsi

To be more precise, on my mobile phone WLAN is switched off when screen is locked and no data transfer is ongoing in the background. E.g. when downloading an app and the screen goes off the download continues and the app is installed as with an active screen.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Jens,

My comments based on your 4 questions.

1. Engineering are investigating that.
2. Would need to raise this to engineering to check.
3. I don't think that WLAN is suppose to be disabled when screen is turned off as this is more to the OS level. My android phone stays connected to wifi despite screen is turned off.
4. Appreciate if you can provide me with some examples so I can get this to engineering too. (Names would be fine)

Thanks Jen for taking the time to write this.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

jsi
Punch Card
jsi

JameZ,

thanks for your reply. I'll try to provide some information for points 3 and 4 to you via PM.

Regards,

Jens

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hello Jens,

Yup I got your PM, please check Inbox, would need some additional information from you.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
ni28

Solution to #3 (because you can turn it on and off on your phone too): Open your settings -> wireless & networks -> Now, in the top right hand corner hit the little icon that has 4 white lines and an arrow. It opens up another menu. Select advanced. Then it'll take you to a new menu. Hit Wireless enchanced settings. Then select the unchecked box for "turn off wi-fi when display is off." :smileyhappy: Hope that helps!
jsi
Punch Card
jsi

[ Edited ]

ni28,

thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Although my phone doesn't show the same possibilities in this settings menu (HTC Sensation, Android 2.3.4). I can only choose when the phone shall switch from WiFi to Mobile Network (After 15 minutes, never when using mains or never). Switch to Mobile Network when display turns off seems to be enabled by default on my phone...

Anyway thanks for your hint. I'll have a look if this has any effect on battery consumption...

Regards,

Jens

Fanfold Paper
ni28

It should. It does on mine, are you sure you are in the right area? On your haptic buttons at the bottom (your back, home, magnifying glass for search) you'll see one with 4 lines (familiar huh?). Go to settings -> wireless and network settings -> wi-fi settings -> Then hit that button (the one with the 4 lines, it may be in a different place, but on my Nexus S it is inbetween the back button and search button). On the HTC desire Z the buttons are home, that button you should press with the four lines, back and search. Press that button then go to advanced, then wi-fi sleep policy. Then you can do what you like there. It should do the same as on your honeycomb tablet. Unless HTC managed to disable it... =/ I've been able to do this since 2.3.4 (running 2.3.6 now).
SCSI Port
Neokazaki

@JameZ:

I alreay reported the translation issues here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/System-Updates-Bug-Report-amp-generell-Impression...

Here are the entries in the settings, that need really to be translated:

- Although I´ve chosen "German" as OS language, many parts of the Settings menu show different languages. I found French (Wireless & Networks; Accounts & Sync, Sound) & Chinese (Language & Input --> Keyboard Settings --> Configure Input methods)!! The different languages were even present when I switched to "English"! 

And some of the already translated points would need some "grammar improvement" :smileywink: (although it is not as bad as my englisch)