Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
MaxBuck

Re: Tablet as E-Reader ( reading on LCD with LED backlight)

This device is so far superior to the Kindle Touch, it's not funny.  Best ebook reader I have seen, IMO.

Punch Card
nitric

I never try to see if it flicker or not but have being using the tablet as ebook reader. I was thinking of getting a kindle but then, i need a tablet again. So i do not want to bring more stuffs when travelling and i think this tablet is capable of doing more things than a dedicated ebook reader despite the better battery life, e ink screen and not stressing the eyes.
802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

I tried the tablet at night with maximum dimmed backgroundlights.

I did not like it, when moving eyes or the letters/pages on the screen it flickered to much for me.

With night mode background i felt even worse.

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

WWAN
pghFL

Tablet reading is not optimal. Eink readers like Kindle offer a substantially improved reading experience.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Punch Card
optimus43

for novels e ink is much better if you plan to do a lot of reading,  I have been using my TPT to read since my daughter has co-opted my KOBO to read a series of books.  the available ereading apps for android are very good and offer a lot of variety in terms of features an options but the device it self is too heavy for long reading bouts if you have to hold it and the LCD looks good for a while but afer a long time reading my eyes get tired.

for magazines and for techincal books (photography) the TPT is  very,very good much better than eink.

WWAN
pghFL

---- techincal books (photography) the TPT is very,very good much better than eink.----

Agreed. Really love the TPT for this purpose.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

I found out other tablets are flickerfree.

At least my inexpensive 100Eu 7" Odys Xelio doesnt flicker noticeable even when dimmed.

And a simple test with a small solarcell and a headphone lets the TPT squeak because of the frequencies,

where the Xelio is silent like my old lcd without led....

Incredible!

The flickering backlight means it makes the eyes quick tired and "stresses" the brain...

Cant belive the engineers didnt test it or made this failure in how to dimm the leds.   

I am so disappointed about the TPT. 

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

Paper Tape
Professor_mc

If your primary concern is reading you should get a Kindle or similar e-ink device.  I use the TPT for reading but that is not it's primary use.  There are limitations in bright and dim environments.  It is also heavy to hold compared to a kindle.  The flicker/eystrain issue is not a primary drawback for me for reading; it's the glare in bright environments, eyestrain in dim environments ant the size and weight of the tablet.

Punch Card
bchau

I don't agree that e-ink is better in reading than LED/LCD. You would need to be in a well-lit place to read e-Ink comfortably, or you would strain your eyes a lot. Whereas you can read from LED/LCD in the dark if you like. In any case, it is not too good for the eyes to read under strong sunlight or in total darkness, and for a prolong period of time.

Personally I have the NookColor eReader and love reading it. Great screen and compact size.

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

@Professor_mc

I use non-glare screenprotectors, without  I couldn't work with the decives. 

With theTPT I primary write on it...

Secondary i use it for reading webpages and PDF files 

Also while writing on it I have to look at the screen quite often.

ed.:

For reading without getting ill I will use now the Odys Xelio Tablet.