Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
is1981

Re: Tablet as E-Reader ( reading on LCD with LED backlight)

I think that refresh rate on the ThinkPad slate's display is excellent; its image quality is superb. However, I would never replace an eReader with a tablet. Reading on a backlight display is like reading a printed paper sheet put between a lamp and you. The advantage of both paper and electronic ink is that both use the ambient light instead of providing their own light source. I am surprised no one has noted this fact.
802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

I was talking about the dimmed led background light.

At my TPT you can see how it flickers when reading with background light dimmed.
Awful!

Hopefully others are build different, what is your experinece when reading with a dimmed display?

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

802.11n
is1981

I am, perhaps, not in the best ambient light conditions to see what you describe (this room is illuminated by means of LED bulbs). I put the slate at the minimum brightness and see no flickering in either a white background (browser) or a dark blue one (home screen). Will try later, on a dark room.
Punch Card
MaxBuck

Perhaps I'm not very sensitive to the "flicker" phenomenon, but I've never noticed it, and I read at low illumination in bed fairly often.  It's a very good e-reader for my purposes.

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

You can try to wave you hand in front of a white webpage with text.

If you look at the screen you can see lines between your fingers, this is what my eyes see when they are moving over the words quickly...

(And what your eyes and brains gets all the time without you recognising it) 

I would hope there are already improved version, and would like to get one of them.....

Like how it is at the moment its awful to read dimmed.

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

802.11n
is1981

This one was my first test once display was dimmed. I cannot see the same effect we have when waving our hands on a CRT display working at less than 80 Hz. In all tests I did the image is very stable.
802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

I found a dimm app, that actually makes all on your screen darker while the backgroundlight stays the same.

(Which wastes battery :smileysad: )

Now I can read in the dark without getting nauseas.

(App: Screen Filter, haxor industry)

My next tablet will be checked for a non flickering display and a realy good working pen before buying...

Cant still belive how bad the TPT backlight at my tablet is..