Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
jofamie

ThinkPad Slate Tablet Turn Off by itself [Build 0074_ROW]

Guys,

Any one can explain me what is wrong in my Thinkpad Slate Tablet. Cause now a days my Tablet turns off by itself without my knowing.

Dont know if this is something with the Battery Firmware requires to update. It this issue will resolved by using the current update will be pushing in on Feb 20 as promised? I'm talking about the 0080_ROW

Appreciate any response..

Thanks!

Jofamie
Punch Card
jofamie

Re: ThinkPad Slate Tablet Turn Off by itself [Build 0074_ROW]

Guys, any advise for this one? I think much better to send it back to replace this..

Jofamie
Token Ring
ron2k_1

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have the very same issue.  I've seen there are about 5 threads on this same issue where the ThinkPad tablet turns off while in standby mode and I haven't seen 1 response from a Lenovo Staffer.... Why????

So this is what happens and I what I've done in my case [If you're looking for a solution, sorry dude, I don't have one yet]:

1. This thing shuts down while on standby.  Because it's on standby I cannot really say how long does it stay up before it shuts down.

2. It does it all the time you put it on standby.  But I've noticed that it doesn't do it as much if the tablet has more than 70% battery juice.  Above this level, it seldoms shuts dow.  But below, it shuts down 99% of the times I put it on standby.

3. I don't have any battery life enhancer or timeout apps.

4. I've done several factory resets and and have tried on a clean slate and the same behaviour is experienced.

5. I've tried on Autobrightness settings on and off.  It's more prevalent when this setting is off, but it does it on either state.

This sucks guys.  This issue sometimes get me to thinking into buying another product with similar features (Digitizer) and ports - Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet [perhaps...].

Ron

EDIT: I have the 32GB version (with digitizer) and my build is currently on 86_US.  This issue was present on 75_US and this recent OTA update.

SCSI Port
ghigelmire

ron2k_1 wrote:
...and I haven't seen 1 response from a Lenovo Staffer.... Why????

While I don't have anything to help your situation (I personally don't have this problem with my unit) I just wanted to help you understand that this is a user-supported forum. That is, put here by Lenovo to encourage us to help each other out with tips, tricks and common problems. Although it seem like the Lenovo staff comment on a lot of the post, in actuality; they very rarely do. 

I think it's worth pointing this out as well as mentioning that the support numbers for Lenovo are stickied at the top of the forum. I know I for one don't like dealing with support any more than the next person, but they are there for a reason. 

hope this helps.

JaneL

ron2k_1 wrote:

I've seen there are about 5 threads on this same issue where the ThinkPad tablet turns off while in standby mode and I haven't seen 1 response from a Lenovo Staffer.... Why????

Welcome to the forum!  This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum with some limited participation from Lenovo staff as time permits.  They usually focus on issues that affect large numbers of users, however there's no guarantee that any issue will get a response from them.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Token Ring
ron2k_1

Thanks guys,

I understand that a support forum in reality is for networking with other owners and come up with solutions from the experiences of others.  That's what manufacturers do in order to lighten their support load and where in cases it seems that other users can give better answers than the manufacturer itself.

Jane, thanks for the welcome, I've been here since I bought my unit and have just been lurking around.  I hang at another TPT forum more often.  And probably wouldn't have joined if it's not because I pretty much exhausted all my ideas in how to fix this.  I called a support number given to me by CircuitCity and the person went thru troubleshooting procedures that I had done several times.  The usual, he suggested to do a factory reset.  He took the time to walk me thru how to do it, and I rudely stopped him [I appologized at the same time] and told him that I had already done 3 of them.  Then he put me on hold... And I waited.... And waited.... And waited... Till I had to put the phone down cause I was making an international call as I'm currently outside the US and will not be back for a while.

Oh and when it comes to the comment done by as to staff concentrate on issues experienced by bigger numbers... When I said I found around 5 threads, it didn't mean that only 5 users had the issue.  But sevral in the thread didn't start a new one and just commented that they had the same issue.  Some were able to resolve it, and other we didn't hear from them again, as some of them mentioned that they were going to return the unit due to that same issue.  Here are some I read over the days, and trust I scooped all over the internet the issues and on the sites that reviewed the tablet had posts by users mentioning this problem.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/SHUTS-DOWN-FROM-STANDBY/m-p/615181#M7853

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/thinkpad-tablet-shutting-down-by-itself/m-p/57222...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Tablet-doesn-t-like-waking-up/m-p/629285#M8358

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/ThinkPad-Slate-Tablet-Turn-Off-by-itself-Build-00...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Thinkpad-Tablet-Display-turns-on-off-every-few-se...

Ron

Punch Card
jofamie

Hi All,

Resolution will be this.. Put back the TPT into factory settings. seems you install some apps that could cause that problem, I put back to Factory settings and just installed just necessary software. Before I installed a lot of apps that having a problem like task killer, a lots of games. Try not to install a lot of stuff. just the important one for your everyday use.. ^^

Now my TPT works very well under 0074_ROW. Now am waiting for the OTA2. Let see how it goes on this update.
Jofamie
Token Ring
ron2k_1

Hey Jofamie,

I've done that several times.  I've used the machine with not third party stuff installed, and I still get the shutdown business every now and again....

Right now I don't have no games, no entertainment apps, nothing.  What an inconvenience.... I only have Quill, EzPDF, Myscript Stulus and my bible app.  That's all, I had to dust off my iPad for everything else...

On a later develpment, I notice however, that it happens more often when I do the following:

1. Wake the tablet up from standby, I'll get to lock screen, do nothing (as if when you do it just to see the time) and then put it back to sleep.  More than likely the next time I try to wake it up, It'll be off.  If I actually unlock it and do something with it and put back to sleept, I'd have good chances that it will be up the next time I need it.

Ron

Fanfold Paper
nevsf

Same problem here. The tablet shuts itself down completely when I put it to sleep. Good grief. 

I tried to call Lenovo "support" but it took 15 minutes of arguing to convince them I was under warranty, then had to do other things with my life.

I'm going to try a factory reset and see if the problem persists. I've had so many problems (weird authorization problems, apps crashing, Android Market app crashing repeatedly...) that I'd return the thing if I weren't out of the 30-day return window. 

Is anybody happy with this tablet? How does the product manager sleep at night? It's a shame Lenovo came out with such a stinker. In a world with so many alternatives, what are they thinking? Don't they even want to be in the game?

Punch Card
jofamie

hello nevsf, myissue resolved when i tried to restore to its factory settings.. then I observed for 3 to 6 days, no issue came in.. and my tpt are updated too with its cuurent firmware.. what build u have ROW or US?

Jofamie