Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
daveelt

Re: ThinkPad Tablet - Your first impression, thoughts, etc...

Have had mine since Friday, here are my quick points:

1.  Screen is amazing, glare and fingerprints are an issue, but it is very sharp and colors are crisp.

2.  Very responsive.  No lag to speak of except when I cause it (force a major sync for instance)

3.  Video playback has been flawless.  I have not done any fromt he web yet, so not comment on that.

4.  Buttons - I thought I would hate having the phyical buttons and they would get in the way, but they require a good amount of pressure to press, so no accidental pressing and they come in handy.

5.  Battery seems great already and only 2 charge cycles in.

6.  This is big for the bloatware people - PREINSTALLED 3RD PARTY APPS ARE UNINSTALLABLE...I HAVE DONE IT.

The only semi complaints I have so far are the speaker and and a nit pick on the pen.

There is only one speaker (which is no big deal to me as I do not need a stero system here) but it does not get very loud so you can miss the notification sounds.

The pen (I have been using windows based tablet PC's for at least 8 years) - it seems that the pen is not as active as it could be.  The tip has to be VERY close to the screen to disable touch and as a result it is easy to hit with your hand before the pen and get multiple touchs.  The manual says that pressing the button should make things happen without actually touching the screen, but it does not work that way.  I don't know if I have a pen issue or there was a change in functionality, but it needs to recognize a little farther away to be most useful.

in short though...6 stars.....I love this thing so far

SCSI Port
DUTCHvanAtlanta

[ Edited ]

pghaworth wrote:

The glare is a big concern. Don't understand why a matt screen isn't used. I suppose if a matt protector was used it would mess up the stylus.

On the other Lenovo Forum, a Lenovo employee reported that a matte screen requires more power than a glossy screen; and so, for the sake of battery life, . . . . . . .

tly
Punch Card
tly

Thanks Daveelt for the quick review.

What you say about the pen is quite worrying. If i draw on it, for sure i will have to raise my hand quite often...

What do you mean exactly by "press the button"? Is it to completely enable the pen and disable touch? That would be quite nice.

802.11n
bogatyr

tly wrote:

What you say about the pen is quite worrying. If i draw on it, for sure i will have to raise my hand quite often...

What do you mean exactly by "press the button"? Is it to completely enable the pen and disable touch? That would be quite nice.

Then pen has a finger button. Most tablets use them for additional button presses.

Token Ring
daveelt

tly wrote:

No.  It is there for addtional funtions.  So far the only thing I can find it does is if you touch something with it pressed it acts the same as a long press on that object.  (ie, move an icon on the home screen)

The manual claims it is supposed to act like you touched an item if you hover above it and click but I have not been able to get that to work, so that may be related to the other issue.  Not sure if I have a defective item or the implementation changed.

SCSI Port
digitallysane

bogatyr wrote:
I'd like to quickly point out that the onscreen keyboard is the best of any device I've used. My Xoom had what looks like the same one (default Honeycomb) but it is far more responsive on this tablet.

Did you manage to check the FlexT9 keyboard too? (that's selectable in the keyboard list). I'm curious about the typing experience on that (it also features handwritten input which seemed great to me).

802.11n
bogatyr

FlexT9 with the pen sucks. It does not use the same software as the note app and the recognition is long and poor.

The regular QWERTY using FlexT9 seems ok.
Token Ring
daveelt

I agree with the writing on FlexT9...it is aweful.

I found the typing to be a little laggy with the word prediction on too.
802.11n
bogatyr

melson wrote:

Bogatyr,

Can you tell me if the usb port will allow a hard drive hooked to it. and also if you can hook it up to your pc??

Thanks,

Mark

As to the hard drive, it does work. Just formatted a 128GB SSD with FAT32 and used a SATA to USB converter. USB port powers the drive just fine too (including a regular HDD). Doesn't work at all with drives using CDROM partitions.

Punch Card
melson

bogatyr wrote:

melson wrote:

Bogatyr,

Can you tell me if the usb port will allow a hard drive hooked to it. and also if you can hook it up to your pc??

Thanks,

Mark

As to the hard drive, it does work. Just formatted a 128GB SSD with FAT32 and used a SATA to USB converter. USB port powers the drive just fine too (including a regular HDD). Doesn't work at all with drives using CDROM partitions.

Thats great...one last question.....have you streamed netflix yet?

Thanks,

Mark