Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
tzhang4284

Re: ThinkPad slate tablet's shipping thread - 2011 edition

not sure what you asked but here's my theory.

My guess is they had a forecast of how many units they were going to sell. This forecast included expected reseller, direct website and corporate orders. They used this forecast to order a set number of units from their external manufacturers (Foxtron, solectron, one of those guys).

Then, they had far more orders than anticipated from one or all three of those channels. Afterwards, some mid-level product manager decided to prioritize resellers and corporate orders at the expense of direct customer orders. Unfortunately, this person lacked any marketing savvy whatsoever and decided not to communicate any of this to the direct order customers (us) who have been waiting for this. Now, you have a handful of pissed off customers on this thread and others.

To make matters worse, I don't think the customer service / supply chain organization is equipped to deal with the ensuing dissatisfication so you have cancellations and such that their system cannot process with the added pressure of trying to fill all the orders they have. Now, you have even more pissed off customers.

Mark and team are doing a good but my guess is their boss aren't the most communicative type leaving them with nothing meaningful that they can tell us. I'm thinking about emailing investor relations and asking them what's the reason behind this. Somebody in marketing and finance definitely should get fired or at least get a really bad performance review. Way to botch one of the biggest growth projects in your company.

What you guys missed is that the growing success of the iPad in corporate use is due to employees/customers buying it on their own and demanding support for it (Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and Morgan Stanley all have developed iPad apps). Trying to shove thinkpad tablets down people's throats aren't going to work unless you have satisfied users willing to champion it in their organization. Why else do you think the thinkpad is so successful in corporate america? Dell and HP laptops are much cheaper on volume purchases.

WWAN
pghFL

[ Edited ]

--Did I mention the TPT is Awesome?--

Mine arrives tomorrow. It's posts like yours that got me to order. :smileyhappy:

===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Paper Tape
ctedirector

I ordered mine from Abes of Maine last night.  Had the cheapest price with no sales tax or shipping and a 3 year warranty for just under $70.  I did not get the dock or the folio (which I will as soon as it becomes available), but UPS has it for delivery.  Scheduled delivery to my workplace is 22 September.

Blue Screen Again
alexvogue

[ Edited ]

For all of you who thought you canceled your orders with Lenovo store over the delay, think again!

After ordering from them on 8/23 & not wishing to wait any longer, i canceled my order early last week & purchased  one via Amazon/3rd party vendor. Today i got an email from Lenovo saying the tablet's  shipped--this even after i went to the trouble of calling Paypal to doubly insure that the order was canceled on their end (Lenovo intentionally failed to void the purchase with them apparently...)

The amount had been pending all this time with Paypal, which means it had been moved from my account but not completed.  The transaction would have expired in 2 days....

Am i pissed? You bet.....

Alex

Moderator note: Please don't post duplicates - it splinters the discussion. Thanks!

Punch Card
mdelio

That's exactly what I'm concerned about, Alex -- a surprise shipment despite the fact that I cancelled my order and a $750+ charge to my card (I ordered a tablet elsewhere too, its been shipped and is slated to arrive tomorrow). 

Refuse to accept delivery and return it? Lenovo isn't likely to process a return in anything near a timely manner, and I'm sure once they have the tablet back they are going to convienently lose the return record. They refuse to provide cancellation numbers at the time you cancel the order, which is standard practice at any company.

What are you planning to do? 

SCSI Port
krishnajames

So I got an email for a 75$ credit...not sure if I have to call in again to get it, but we shall see when I finally get billed. I asked Gavin, Mark, and the person who sold it to me over chat via email, so I'm not sure who did it for me, because the email address that sent the email informing me of the credit is someone I never spoken with...I am sated for now, but **bleep** I want that thing in my hands!

Blue Screen Again
bikemanaz

mdelio wrote:

...  and I'm sure once they have the tablet back they are going to convienently lose the return record. ...

If you refuse the package UPS will indicate the  refusal and non-delivery on the tracking information.  Just print and keep a copy of that.  The burden is on Lenovo to prove that you did receive it.  

Punch Card
mdelio

Thank you, Bikemanaz

SCSI Port
tzhang4284

I called to start a return, they said to accept delivery and then I can intiiate a return for a full refund. I think I'm going to call them again and have them send an email to get this in writing.

Blue Screen Again
bikemanaz

krishnajames wrote:

So I got an email for a 75$ credit...

I got a credit also earlier this week.  However they  said I'd have to wait until I got the tablet, then call and ask them about it. When I asked if I could get something in writing  I was told it was noted on my account, and that when I called they'd apply it to my Visa card.  Not sure why you receive it via email and I was told I'd have to ask for it later. You would think they would have a standard process.

Mine was all verbal though, at least you have email documentation.   I hope I don't call to get it and am told, "credit?... we don't know anything about a credit."