Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
Roufles
Accepted Solution

Thinkpad Slate Recommendation

I'm considering buying this tablet for educational purposes next semester. Looking at these post on these forums scares me however. I have some questions.

1.Would you suggest it?

2. Is the 32gb worth it in comparison to the 16gb considering it has memory card slot? How does internal memory allocation work with respect to exernal memory devices.

3.Is it really that buggy?

4.Has Lenovo confirmed that they will be updating to Android 4.0?

I'm torn between the HTC Flyer(cheaper, seemingly aging hardware and software, and too small for my taste) or the Thinkpad which sounds like it's everything I'm looking for on paper but I have no where to test it in action. 

Punch Card
Sepemulle

Re: Thinkpad Slate Recommendation

I use mine all the time in educational purpuse, works great! It is NOT as buggy as this forum sugests, remember this is where all the complaints come, the ones without complaints dont write how happy they are here ;-) 

The bugs on mine are minor so the problem isnt enough that i would trade it away, and the update wil most likley make this alot better! 

Dont know if they have said anything about Android 4.0. cant see why they wouldent? But it seems it will take some time.

Punch Card
Nekid

[ Edited ]

Roufles wrote:

I'm considering buying this tablet for educational purposes next semester. Looking at these post on these forums scares me however. I have some questions.

1.Would you suggest it?

With the proper apps, absolutely.  A good note taking app is Writepad Stylus, only a $1 great for students, and can disable multi-touch...one of the best functions for a note taking app ever.

2. Is the 32gb worth it in comparison to the 16gb considering it has memory card slot? How does internal memory allocation work with respect to exernal memory devices.

Depends how much data you want to have with you at any one time.  I bought the 64Gb for my wife, but if I was to get one for myself, I would probably opt fol either the 16GB or 32GB and just make better use of the USB.  I was able to mate my external HDD (WD Passport) just fine.  The only way I can see myself taking up 32GB is with videos and I might as well store them on the external solution because then I can use it on any device and if I really needed to, I could swap files back and forth on the go.  If you are considering budget and technologically inclined, don't be afraid of the 16Gb.  Just answer the question, will I need all my data permanently on here, or will I store most of my stuff on the external SD or USB so I can swap it with other devices and leave the internal SD just for apps?  With both USB and SD, I would greatly consider the 16Gb.

For the most part, haters going to hate rings really **bleep** true here.  Unbiased, yes the TPT is a tad buggy, but so is every Android device.  If you want to be happy with the TPT, you can be.  If you want to dwell on the negatives and let every little thing turn into a catastrophe, you might be unsatisfied with your purchase.  The only reason it seems buggy is because the same issue is reposted several times.  Of all the forum communities out there, this one has a bit of growing to do in terms of etiquette and generally accepted posting guidelines.

I haven't read it myself, but some of the chatter earlier on the forum was Lenovo was opting to go straight to 4.0 instead of 3.2.  Somebody else might have a link for you.

I'm torn between the HTC Flyer(cheaper, seemingly aging hardware and software, and too small for my taste) or the Thinkpad which sounds like it's everything I'm looking for on paper but I have no where to test it in action. 

All in all, I would consider the TPT a great piece of technology.  It does everything I want it to do plus more.  True it can make you stumble a bit, but I'm sure you have learned from life to take a lil hiccup here and there.  Owning a car, dating somebody, etc... is all the same pile.  If you are able to not let minor things make you sit down in cry in anything you do (life wise), if you are willing to persist through and aim to enjoy instead of hate, if you greatly value the hardware benefits of the TPT, the TPT is for you.

WWAN
pghFL

Previous poster Nekid says it well. Minor bugs, wouldn't dream of giving mine up.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
SCSI Port
tzhang4284

Here's my comments:

1. No. You can buy an iPad for the same exact price. Greater software support, less bugs, and better customer service. I would now add better hardware as well. Look at the number of complaints about functions not working, broken power adapter, incomplete software, no update communications at all.

2. No, get the 16gb unless you're really into movies and music.

3. Yes it is. It's horrible. I really regret buying mine. If you want, I'd be happy to sell you mine once they fix my power port.

4. Lenovo said they'll update to ICS. That could be a week from now, a year from now or ten years from now. No guarantees the update will actually work unless you're one of these corporate customers.

Roufles wrote:

1.Would you suggest it?

SCSI Port
tzhang4284

Stop being such a tool. If you're going to pay $400-$500 for a tablet, you sure as heck better give $400-$500 of value. I got a bridge in brooklyn to sell you.

Nekid wrote:

Roufles wrote:

1.Would you suggest it?

With the proper apps, absolutely.  A good note taking app is Writepad Stylus, only a $1 great for students, and can disable multi-touch...one of the best functions for a note taking app ever.

Depends how much data you want to have with you at any one time.  I bought the 64Gb for my wife, but if I was to get one for myself, I would probably opt fol either the 16GB or 32GB and just make better use of the USB.  I was able to mate my external HDD (WD Passport) just fine.  The only way I can see myself taking up 32GB is with videos and I might as well store them on the external solution because then I can use it on any device and if I really needed to, I could swap files back and forth on the go.  If you are considering budget and technologically inclined, don't be afraid of the 16Gb.  Just answer the question, will I need all my data permanently on here, or will I store most of my stuff on the external SD or USB so I can swap it with other devices and leave the internal SD just for apps?  With both USB and SD, I would greatly consider the 16Gb.

For the most part, haters going to hate rings really **bleep** true here.  Unbiased, yes the TPT is a tad buggy, but so is every Android device.  If you want to be happy with the TPT, you can be.  If you want to dwell on the negatives and let every little thing turn into a catastrophe, you might be unsatisfied with your purchase.  The only reason it seems buggy is because the same issue is reposted several times.  Of all the forum communities out there, this one has a bit of growing to do in terms of etiquette and generally accepted posting guidelines.

I haven't read it myself, but some of the chatter earlier on the forum was Lenovo was opting to go straight to 4.0 instead of 3.2.  Somebody else might have a link for you.

All in all, I would consider the TPT a great piece of technology.  It does everything I want it to do plus more.  True it can make you stumble a bit, but I'm sure you have learned from life to take a lil hiccup here and there.  Owning a car, dating somebody, etc... is all the same pile.  If you are able to not let minor things make you sit down in cry in anything you do (life wise), if you are willing to persist through and aim to enjoy instead of hate, if you greatly value the hardware benefits of the TPT, the TPT is for you.

Fanfold Paper
capewaterrat

Paralleling Nekid, with maybe a different approach.....

I'm considering buying this tablet for educational purposes next semester. Looking at these post on these forums scares me however. I have some questions.

1.Would you suggest it?

Yes. It's small, it's handy, it has some really surprising features. Though I have, maybe, a different take on some things than many;.

Note-taking: yes, there's a number of apps out there, but in truth I'd ignore them all and get/use the keyboard folio. And use the included software to do up my notes as a Word document. Or else get me a pad of paper and a pen and then transcribe 'em to Word format later. Back when, I had a professor who taught me a lot of good study skills and he suggested doing paper notes and then transcribing 'em, that way the information went through your thought processes several times and was more likely to stick.

Now, if I was back in engineering school, I'd have either Sketchbook or one of the low-end CAD apps up as well, so that I could do good drawings and diagrams - that's where the stylus really shines. Likewise maybe a spreadsheet or one of the calculator apps. There are also plenty of apps like the periodic table, math formulae and what have you. Depending on your major, there's other things.

Something that hasn't been mentioned, so I will - your textbooks may be available on Kindle. The ability to just lug around a couple of pounds of tablet rather than the (insert expletives) print texts, well now, that would have saved me a whole lot of backache. And said text can be synched between the tablet and the Kindle for PC app you can have on the computer on your desktop or the one your folks have at home, so you're right where you were on the tablet. Have a look through the Kindle store on Amazon and see what's there that you may have already.

Ahmmm - look, 16Gig is huge. Considering a Word document or PowerPoint or spreadsheet usually doesn't run to more than a few megabytes, chances are you could do your whole college career with 16MB.

I got the 32 but in hindsight I would get a 16 and then another SD card or a USB thumb drive or several. Which I did anyhow. As was said, you can move what you need to move fairly easily, though the USB file manager isn't as transparent as I might like, still, it works fine. Being the type to over prepare, I also have a 500GB external USB drive, reformatted to FAT32 - which I will probably never need.

(chuckling) - y'see, my first computer was a PS2/25, running Windows 1.04 as a thin veneer over DOS from a double floppy setup. And I played with early iterations of Linux and other stuff. And earlier on, I was using DecWriter terminals for engineering programming assignments - talk about buggy, you had to save your stuff about once a minute 'cos there was always somebody that'd crash the system. This isn't bad. Heh... you shoulda seen Windows ME. The OS that made more Linux converts and I-believers than any other single thing in the world of tech.

And (chuckling again) ....Way back when, there were personal computers that were 'IBM compatible' and they'd run the software okay, some that were '99% compatible' - which meant that they'd run a special variant of the software, and then you had those that were '95% compatible' and it was hit or miss what they'd do.

Android is a relatively new operating system that's made to run more or less across a really wide and weird assortment of hardware. The bugs are, in my far from humble opinion, more Android bugs and app bugs than bugs in the tablet itself. The hardware itself seems to be fairly well done. And it seems that every time I go to the app stores ( Android and Amazon, the Lenovo version doesn't impress me) half of the apps have updates to fix said bugs.

I have seen some references that say they will. It won't be next week, I doubt Lenovo will do the upgrade until ...let's just say 'many' of the bugs have been worked out of their version of it for this tablet. And then there's how well the assorted third party apps deal with the version changes.

For just the reasons you state, I held off on a tablet until this thing came out. Plus, it could be had with the keyboard folio with an honest to ___ Thinkpad keyboard on it. I am given to understand that the bricks-and-mortar stores have trouble keeping them in stock, so unless you run across somebody who has one, that's gonna be tough.

hope that's of use

Punch Card
Nekid

[ Edited ]

tzhang4284 wrote:

Stop being such a tool. If you're going to pay $400-$500 for a tablet, you sure as heck better give $400-$500 of value. I got a bridge in brooklyn to sell you.

Wow, didn't take you long to sink to personal attacks.  I sure as hell get that value out the tablet, sorry that you live your life being miserable and hating everything that isn't Apple.  I like being happy, it feels good every single day.  It also just euphoric knowing that at this point in time I'm basking in my TPT's warmness....mmmmm healthy glow!
One of the most useless metrics in comparing something is comparing negative posts to positive posts.  Nobody comes to this forum to do an unsolicited "It's freaking fantastic".  On the other hand, people are very willing to slam out some drawl and claim it valid.  Last I heard you were still trying to grip some key concepts.
I'll trade you that bridge for all the steel in the Eiffel tower.
Going back to something that might help the original poster, how is the iPad directly better for a student?  Might, you know actually help, instead of ranting and raving that an iPad is better with no reason or justification.

SCSI Port
tzhang4284

I think you started the personal attacks on my original post several threads back. I actually dont own any apple products BUT I have the thinkpad tablet and have used the iPad 2 extensively (my girlfriend owns one) so I have a pretty informed view compared to your Thinkpad Tablet delusions and refusal to admit it's wrong. Even the Lenovo employees on this forum have admitted to more mistakes than you have.

"Going back to something that might help the original poster, how is the iPad directly better for a student? Might, you know actually help, instead of ranting and raving that an iPad is better with no reason or justification."

It's very simple - a stable product is far more important to a college student than a buggy half finished product. If you have a defective corporate TPT, there's an inventory to replace it. A college student needs to wait a week for Lenovo to get back to them. That means you're out of luck.

Also go on a college campus sometime, everyone uses an iPad. No one uses anything else as a laptop / physical notebook replacement. yes the stylus support is inferior but eveyrthing else is honeycomb but actually useful.

If the TPT was done properly with stable software and hardware then yes, the difference would be very small. But after using the TPT, I've concluded that I would have been better off buying an iPad because you don't have to 1. deal with lenovo's customer service 2. have access to a mature hardware + software platform 3. be able to get technical support at any retail apple store. If TPT was done properly, you and I wouldn't be having this argument but it wasn't.

I think you are in the very tiny minority who actually think the TPT product was executed successfully because the vast majority of users disagree. The users here complain about it incessantly, the Lenovo employees have apologized for all the problems, the bug reports are flooding the forum, the reviews are mostly average. If you are thinking you're getting the same value from a TPT as an iPad in its current forum you are mistaken.

Incidentally, today the mini-usb charging port on my TPT broke after only 5 weeks of use (and yes this happened to multiple users, not use me.) It just reminded me how annoying this product is and I've lost a week of productive use out of it. I'm now waiting for lenovo to ship me a box so i can ship it back to them. Have them look at it and then ship it back to me. Based on the other threads, this is a week+ process. If I had an ipad and the same thing happened, I could go to an apple store and just get it replaced right there.

As a result, I highly recommend anyone on the fence to wait and get an ipad 2 if you really need a tablet now. The TPT headache is not worth it. This is an incomplete product that doens't provide as much value, and anyone who can't see that is delusional. I'm very much on the verge of accepting that the TPT is a lost cause and just buying an iPad 2 for my personal use.

Wow, didn't take you long to sink to personal attacks.  I sure as hell get that value out the tablet, sorry that you live your life being miserable and hating everything that isn't Apple.  I like being happy, it feels good every single day.  It also just euphoric knowing that at this point in time I'm basking in my TPT's warmness....mmmmm healthy glow!
One of the most useless metrics in comparing something is comparing negative posts to positive posts.  Nobody comes to this forum to do an unsolicited "It's freaking fantastic".  On the other hand, people are very willing to slam out some drawl and claim it valid.  Last I heard you were still trying to grip some key concepts.
I'll trade you that bridge for all the steel in the Eiffel tower.
Going back to something that might help the original poster, how is the iPad directly better for a student?  Might, you know actually help, instead of ranting and raving that an iPad is better with no reason or justification.

Blue Screen Again
Roufles

[ Edited ]

Yeah I understand I'm able to deal with a few minor issues here and there. But if I am paying 400-500 dollars I would like to know it works or they plan on fixing it in a reasonable time frame. I've learned my lesson through previous experience (*cough Samsung moment) that for the most part buy a product for what it currently does not what the manufacture says it will be. However I don't know how well Lenovo's support is.

Thanks for your honest opinion Nekid I think I'm going to get the 16gb one. I really don't want a ipad I mean yes its a solid product but none of the intended features complement note taking in my opinion(no active digitizer,no memory options). So all it'd be useful for in my case is a textbook reader and I could get a tablet for that much cheaper. Although IOS does have matlab (which my university is infatuated with)  the students I've seen with it, use it for internet and book reading more than clumsily taking notes.

One last question how do you rate Lenovo's support?