Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
daviscwd

Thinkpad Tablet 1838 access to storage

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone

I have a question, when I connect the tablet to the PC, I only have access to the SD card I inserted, in this case 8GB.  I do not seem to have access to the 16gb internal storage.  Is there a fix or am I so new to this I don't realize that I wont have access to it.  Also when I connect a usb flash drive to the tablet, again I cannot access the usb flash drive through the PC.  I can see it on the tablet itself but not on the PC.  I was under the impression I would be able to transfer data from one storage device to the other through the PC.  Please advise.  Thank you

Will

Moderated edit: Added detail to subject

Core Memory
jpmmuc

Re: Thinkpad Tablet 1838 access to storage

daviscwd wrote:

Hello Everyone

I have a question, when I connect the tablet to the PC, I only have access to the SD card I inserted, in this case 8GB.  I do not seem to have access to the 16gb internal storage.  Is there a fix or am I so new to this I don't realize that I wont have access to it.  Also when I connect a usb flash drive to the tablet, again I cannot access the usb flash drive through the PC.  I can see it on the tablet itself but not on the PC.  I was under the impression I would be able to transfer data from one storage device to the other through the PC.  Please advise.  Thank you

Will

Moderated edit: Added detail to subject

When you connect the tablet to USB from PC, there comes a request where you can choose connect the SD the card to PC (middle button) or connect the tablet as MTP (lowest button).

If this request isn't coming, try Uncheck...Check in Settings / Storage / USB storage / USB storage devices.

JpmMuc

Fanfold Paper
daviscwd

Thank you very much for your reply,

I have tried checking and unchecking both those boxes under settings/storage/usb/usb storage devices, to no avail, I can only see the SD card I inserted.  How about access to the internal storage through the PC?

Thanks Much

Will

Core Memory
jpmmuc

[ Edited ]

To enable the connection request go to Android Settings / USB settings / check 'Ask on connection'

The internal memory of the tablet is only available via MTP protocoll, means: there is no drive letter assigned.

If you use Windows, you have to use the normal Windows File Explorer to find the Lenovo device.

---

Additionally the text from the manual Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet Manual

Using the micro USB connector
Use the micro USB connector together with the supplied USB cable to connect your tablet to your personal
computer to charge the tablet battery, transfer files, or share your mobile data connection.
When the tablet is connected to your computer through the micro-USB connector, a menu is displayed on
your tablet with the following options:
• Low-power charge only. (Please turn off your tablet's screen)
If you choose this option, turn off the tablet screen by pressing the power button.
• View contents of SD card (Mount)
46 User Guide
If you have installed a flash media card in your tablet and you want to view the information stored on
the card from your computer, touch this option.
• Transfer files (Media Transfer Protocol)
The Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) supports the transfer of multimedia data without additional device
drivers. MTP is part of the Windows Media® framework and thus you can use Windows Media Player to
synchronize files between the computer and the tablet.
Touch this option if you want to copy or move pictures, documents, and other data files from or to
your computer.
Note: If you ever set up a screen unlock password, PIN, or a pattern, after you touch any of the options, you
are prompted to type the password or PIN, or draw the pattern to continue with the operation.

---

JpmMuc

Fanfold Paper
daviscwd

Thank you very much I will try this when i get home this evening and let the group know

WIll
SCSI Port
twospirits

Good info. Thanks

TS

Fanfold Paper
daviscwd

OK Lenovo Family

I read the instructions carefully and I did the following:

I navigated to Android Settings / USB settings / and checked 'Ask on connection'

I can now access either the External SD Card (8GB) or the Internal Storage which is supposed to be 16 GB but only shows 12.6 GB

I cannot access the External SD Card and the internal storage on the PC at he same tme

My expectation was to be able to navigate between the External SD Card and the internal storage, also when I connect a USB flash drive to the tablet I thought it would be visible on the PC also, the USB flashdrive is not visible at all regardless of the mode I select.  As it is now I have to choose which storage device is visible on the PC. I cannot acces all three storage devices simultaneously on the PC.

Also when I connect the PC to the tablet it gives me a popup that says Windows cannot find the driver insert Manufacturer's disc, there is no disc, but then the storage device evdentually shows up on the PC.

Please advise

Will

Fanfold Paper
realyst

[ Edited ]

Make sure "USB Debugging" isn't checked under Settings->Applications->Development

Otherwise, make sure you run Windows Update to make sure your windows drivers are up to date.

If that fails(and only do this if the above two do not work or you could bork it up even more), plug the tablet into another USB port or into the same USB port but through a USB hub.  This forces windows to identify it as a different device and not fall back.

Fanfold Paper
daviscwd

Thank You

I made sure "USB Debugging" wasnt checked under Settings->Applications->Development

My version of Windows Vista is up to date, the PC is no longer asking for a disc or searching for a driver.

However I still cannot see the three storage devices on the PC, just one at a time as previously discussed

Please advise

Will

Fanfold Paper
daviscwd

I do however see the three storage devices simultaneously on the tablet

Thank You