Support in other languages: 
WWAN
pghFL

Re: Ubuntu Linux for ARM on ThinkPad slate tablet?

Thanks splotz! I've been watching the developments with great interest.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
802.11n
splotz

I was able to install with the guide app (Ubuntu Installer free) a liteweight Ubuntu Version.

Open Office (3.2) starts incredible quick imo, and I will test more if i can use it as a small desktop pc.

:smileyhappy: Splotz 

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
______(Did you know that you can form " no love " out of "lenovo" ?)________
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

I could use external mouse and keyboard, and was able to start Youtube videos in the ubuntu firefox browser.

As i read here the support for video acceleration is not ready yet, 

but for all real office things with OpenOffice it seems to be ready :smileyhappy:

I was able to install programms from the Ubuntu Software Center (like Android market, but more free an real Programms)

For quick responding actions it is to laggy (Pen writing eg. arrives to slow).

And i couldnt find yet a mouse wheel support.

Also the HDMI output is no 720p fullscreen, I think because of android controlling the hdmi resolution... 

But over all I am still very Impressed and sure to see soon more and even quicker customisations for ARM tablets.

:smileyhappy: 

edit:  Here you CHROOT on Ubuntu (well, if you have root) 

Maybe important:

1280x768 was for me a good resolution to connect to a Monitor.

The KDE desktop is quick.

Good to google for this commands and ubuntu / vnc:

passwd   changes your  password

vncpasswd  changes the vnc passwd

??sudo apt-get install nvidia-tegra??

____Pen fixed? :smileysad:____ Brightness Fixed :smileyhappy:, Backup? Root needed:smileyindifferent:__Lenovoappshop:smileysad:_____
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Loving-the-Tablet/td-p/716089

What's DOS?
aryajur

Hi Splotz,

Were you able to install Ubuntu it on the Thinkpad Slate??? Do  you have any videos of this. I am really interested. If this really works and digitizer pen works with applications like gournal I would definitely be getting one.

Thanks for the updates and links!

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

edited:

The Version I run:

It is an "chrooted Ubuntu" which means it runs on Android, its not made especially for the tablet, so I think the pen gets controlled by android an has to get send to Ubuntu.

As i wrote in the post before, to laggy for writing .

As an Standalone OS: 

Canonicals Ubuntu is afaik not yet a Tablet version for Tablets with all the 3g and and and

I read they (canonical) will ready with that in 2014 or something.

Until then I think you can choose beetwen Canoncals Ubuntu, g$$gles Android and m$ Win8.

Canonicals Ubuntu on Android: 

But propably soon you can get better especially accustomized version of ubuntu on new phones and tablets.

At least this it was canonical wants to serve. 

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android 

And no, I dont have a Video.

But there are many on youtube, and maybe there is one with a device with the same dualcore as ours...

Splotz 

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

It seems there will be soon a chrooted Ubuntu 12.04 version  for ARM  available :smileyhappy:

I hope for GPU acceleration enabled.

Propably information will be posted here where you get also the other versions.

And here a list with devices working with these chrooted versions. 

802.11n
splotz

Better to wait with downloading, could not get it to run properly.
Its getting checked.

802.11n
splotz

[ Edited ]

I would suggest only to use the "small" Version with the LightXDE Desktop.
Its "really" quick (for a Tablet which is not made to be a Desktop Computer)
It seems the one button start needs atm to be fixed, it asks every time again for the rsolution.

The smallversion comes without libroffice preinstalled.
You can get it with
apt-get install libreoffice
and the ubuntu software-center with
apt-get install softwar-center.

edit: :smileysad: The Software center seems not to work at all :smileysad: :smileysad:
Maybe better to wait even more

After that you have 500Mb left of free space for installing other prgs.

Unity (large version) seems to use the hardware acceleration of the Tegra2 GPU
which seems not to be supported by the chrooted way with the VNC prg.
ed2.: Sound seems also not to be supported with VNC, so no sound atm!

Splotz

ed3.:

I recommend to use the Ubuntu10.10 version for working with office or programming tools.

There is also a working software-center, so you have a lot of more full desktop prgs to choose from.

Here you chroot. 

Punch Card
dcbCreative

Should I be excited about this?

Ubuntu for Tablets.

I've had my ThinkPad Slate for well over a year and I can best describe my relationship with the device as love/hate. I originally purchased it to use as a sketchbook but found few if any applications that satisfied my needs. Each in their own way was too restricting. Plus I've never gotten comfortable using Android as an operating system. So now I'm preparing to purchase a Windows 8 tablet (Most likely a Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T though I am keeping a close eye on the forthcoming Lenovo Helix), one that will run proper creative applications like Adobe Illustrator and AutoDesk SketchBook Pro 6, and that leaves me wondering what to do with my soon to be obsolet ThinkPad Slate.

Oh sure I could leave it alone and continue to use it to check the weather, read magazines, and play angry games. But part of me would like to give it a new lease on life as a truly productive device. Or at the very least a learning platform.

Thus I repeat, should I let myself get excited about the recent anouncement of Ubuntu for Tablets?

Blue Screen Again
charlycoste

[ Edited ]

I feel exactly the same. I can't even understand why a simple task as "sketching on a tablet" is so hard to achieve. I think that the reason is related to the restrictions of the software, but also the hardware. I'm really desapointed about my thinkpad tablet that I could not use to "do" neither to "hack". Just a waste of money.

Really hope that Lenovo will finaly help us to open our thinkpad tablets to some other OS than android. If not, I guess I will have a look to the Nexus models...