Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
Volker1

[WARNING] Do not install the upcoming OTA2 over-the-air update

[ Edited ]

OTA2 will permanently an irrevocably take away your ability to root the TPT. So even if you don't want or need  to root your tablet now, you will never be able to make updates of your valuable data, hide the system bar at the bottom of the screen, or do a multitude of things that require administrative access. 

So make sure to decline the OTA2 download. I'm sure that we'll see shortly an unofficial way to update our TPT with the bug fixes while keeping root access. 

Punch Card
DanTheMan

Betreff: [WARNING] Do not install the upcoming OTA2 over-the-air update

[ Edited ]

hallo volker,

you might be wrong. there already is a way to keep root: install rootkeeper - backup root - restore all files that you changed or deleted (gps.conf, system -apps, etc...) - temp. unroot (with rootkeeper) - update  - reinstall superuser.apk (see rootkeeper) - open rootkeeper and restore restore root.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but it worked for me! (edit: my build was 0076_WE)

partly, original files are available here or on xda (for those who have no backup/dump)

so long,

dan

802.11n
Volker1

Betreff: [WARNING] Do not install the upcoming OTA2 over-the-air update

DanTheMan wrote:

you might be wrong. there already is a way to keep root: install rootkeeper - backup root - restore all files that you changed or deleted (gps.conf, system -apps, etc...) - temp. unroot (with rootkeeper) - update  - reinstall superuser.apk (see rootkeeper) - open rootkeeper and restore restore root.

This proceduce (and only if you follow it exactly in this order) has been reported to work on the WE (western europe) rom. It remains to be seen if it will work in the soon-to-appear US version of the OTA2. This is why I wanted to get the word out before the update hits the US users.

802.11n
ameridian

Re: [WARNING] Do not install the upcoming OTA2 over-the-air update

Volker1 wrote:

OTA2 will permanently an irrevocably take away your ability to root the TPT.

~

I doubt that but even so, root on a tablet is something I can live without.

HDMI
mtalinm

I also wasn't as excited about the purported benefits of rooting as I thought I would be. there was some speedup but other stuff got flaky like the appstore and netflix
802.11n
Volker1

ameridian wrote:
root on a tablet is something I can live without.

I wish I had a penny for every time somebody said that they don't need a backup, nothing is going to happen, and later on lost a bunch of files :-)

FDP
Token Ring
FDP

root is more than just being able to remove the crap Lenovo forced onto my tablet. Since these support fixes have been pretty aweful so far I think that the correct statement should be: "now that I have root I can live without minor tweaks from Lenovo until they give us ICS"...

802.11n
ameridian

Volker1 wrote:
I wish I had a penny for every time somebody said that they don't need a backup, nothing is going to happen, and later on lost a bunch of files :-)

Not certain what type of backup or files you are referring to. Whatever, and based on **my** workflow, I don't need to backup any files that I cannot currently access. Furthermore, most of the important data files used on the tablet would have originated on a computer. Any changes are easily synced back to the computer. Things like system settings, market apps etc. can easily be addressed in the event of a reinstall.

Now tell me again why I **need** superuser privileges on the tablet.

SCSI Port
Nick78

do the updates come automatically? or is it something you have to install manually?

FDP
Token Ring
FDP

@ameridian, backup is much more easily automated as super user. You don't **NEED** root, and you don't seem to want it, but others here might appreciate the capabilities and the new Lenovo OTA is unlikely to offer anything worth giving up our newfound freedom for...