Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
SBSSC

Re: Warranty refused : broken USB port

Well I went to the Lenovo support page again today to check on the status of my first case and it is still showing as "hold for customer information"  I called and they said it is on billable hold.  They are telling me that this is billable as misuse.  This is BS and lousy support.  I had to open a second case today for another tablet that had the same issue and I am sure I will have to go through the same hassle again.

Lenovo support, is anything happening here with these open cases?  I cannot have my techs down this long.

Punch Card
rhillson

@Jamez I haven't heard back from you yet. I've got a repair shipping box and a broken tablet sitting here. Please advise on what to do next. Thank you
SCSI Port
justguy

Update 4:

Contact back from the EU Escalations team : they need to replace the planar of the tablet (costly job for a 50c part) and there is no stock of these.  If the delay is too long, I have been promised a replacement unit.  While I am really unsettled at the original problem, Lenovo are being excellent now.  Have to give credit where it is due though the delay is a pain.

Suffice it to say this unit will be tested in the field a great deal longer than usual before we decide to roll these out.  And I will also wait to see how other's USB problems are handled before deciding.  

Punch Card
rhillson

Thank you for the updates just guy. I'm still waiting for this Jamez guy to get back to me before I send mine in.
WWAN
pghFL

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what to do at the this point. Everything is up to customer relations. Once the tab is gone to engineering they can say anything and I will have no recourse. Now what??

===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Token Ring
rickinoz

@pghFL

You have plenty of recourse.

What are the warranty and consumer protection laws in your neck of the woods? If you don't get a satisfactory response from Customer Services, be prepared to exercise your rights. Like any manufacturer, Lenovo have obligations in terms of "fitness for purpose" and ought to honour this. Especially if major faults become apparent soon after delivery.

It seems that they are doing the right thing in most cases, but persistencemay be required.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@SBSSC,

I've logged a customer relations case for you on this.

@rhillson,

Replied your PM. Thanks for the clip. its good

@pghFL,

Replied your email. pending your reply.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

SCSI Port
justguy

Jamez,

I suspect it is not possible but a statement on whether Lenovo think it is an unusual occurance for USB ports to break would be appeciated.  For one, I do need some confidence that this problem is (hopefully) limited to some early models and not endemic in the design.

Mike

Punch Card
Michael1023

It appears to be happening to a number of people, judging from the replies here, on another thread in this form and on the ThinkPad Tablet Forum.  Mine failed after 5 weeks.  It has been in Lenovo's hands for a week now.  They are treating it as a warranty repair.  No issues there, but one of the reasons I purchased this tablet was that IBM/LenovoThinkPad service has super-fast in the past - overnight shipping in each direction and one working day in the repair depot. Overnight shipping is still there, but I was told 5-7 working days on this repair.  After 15 years of ThinkPad laptops,  I now wonder if my next tablet or my next laptop will be a ThinkPad.

Punch Card
rhillson

You think that everything is ok, but just wait, they'll tell you it is a non warranty repair due to misuse. Companies love to play the misuse card with these usb ports. The same thing happened with my HTC EVO phone and it took a lot of politics to get it fixed. It may get worked out over time, but it could take a fight.