Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
StellaElphick

Re: Warranty refused : broken USB port

The same thing has happened to our small company.  We are piloting the Lenovo TPT 1838-2BG as part of the Technology for Learning Small Grants Programme.  

Our research will be shared with others and hopes to focus on ways to integrate mobile technologies into higher, further and work-based education environments, using lower-cost alternatives to Apple Education solutions.  Our intention is to utilise free and open-source Android-based apps using a quality, robust tablet device.  We decided to choose Lenovo after testing the tablets functionality at the BETT Show, London in January. 

Unfortunately one of the TPTs has already developed the micro-USB fault - the pins have lost their mount within the port and the tablet can no longer be charged, after only 1 week's usage.  This will now impact upon our project and makes us concerned about the other Lenovo tablet's build quality.  :smileyfrustrated:

Reading this thread, it appears that Lenovo have acknowledged this is likely a build issue with some early batches (ours were manufactured in late October 2011), but there still seems to be some confusion within warranty centres.  We are currently waiting for the packaging materials for the courier pickup, so have no idea yet what the UK warranty centre's repair turn-around will be, or even if they will accept the warranty claim.  Ultimately, as part of the project we are documenting Lenovo's response to this issue in our project blog.

If they refuse to repair under warranty, who do we turn to for assistance/escalation?

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Hi StellaElphik, welcome to the forum,

my experience says that as Lenovo is sending you a box the warranty claim has already been acknowledged, usually they wont send a box when they don't plan to carry out a repair or for some reason it may not be justified.

As for the turn around time, not having had something repaired in the UK, I can't comment from experience but would expect a week maximum.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Punch Card
StellaElphick

Thanks for the welcome andyP :smileyhappy:

I don't think there is any guarantee at this stage.  I packed up the tablet today and arranged for the courier to collect.  The letter that came with the courier collection instructions states:

The decision to replace or repair is made solely at Lenovo's discretion.  If upon assessment the fault is found to have been caused by improper usage, customisation, configuration changes, physical/accidental damage or is outside the warranty period, the repair will then become chargeable.  You will then be liable for carriage and admin fees and a quote will be sent to you at your registered address.

I sent a covering letter, as requested referencing this forum thread for further information.  It is being sent to:

Lenovo, C/O Hemmersbach GMBH, Oetterichweg 7, Nuernberg, D90411 GERMANY

I will update this thread with any outcomes.

Cheers,

Stella

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Hi Stella,

that seems to be a standard note for the few who attempt to deceive, claiming it's just about the power switch but it arrives with dents and bash marks all over it indicating a drop.

Your issue seems to be a known problem based on the responses in this thread and will hopefully be dealt with quickly leaving you afterwards wondering why you were so concerned.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Stella,

Thanks for sharing - sorry we've impacted your project.   I'll agree with Andy that broken ports are traditionally viewed as likely caused by environmental / handling and so the standard disclaimer applies.   This is a known issue, and barring collateral damage (cracks in the case or other signs of abuse) I would expect service to take care of this without complication.

I've replied to your blog as well, and encourage you to contact me if you need further help on this issue.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
StellaElphick

Thanks Mark and Andy, your reassurance and support is very appreciated.  I will keep the thread updated with our progress :smileyhappy:

Serial Port
JLLBVS

Hi, everybody.
Some news about my tablet. I sent the parcel on february, 14.  The carrier indicated that the parcel has been delivered on february, 16. But on Lenovo repair status page, nothing, but : "waiting for expedition by customer" during several days.
When I phoned last tuesday, I was told that Lenovo had never received the tablet (!?!)
I returned them a delivery attestation by mail,  the TPT was (miraculously) found somewhere by a technician. It was february, 22.
Yesterday, the last status for my TPT was "Repair On Hold - Awaiting Parts".
Me too.

Jean-Louis L.
Thinkpad A31p - T42p - T61p - TP Tablet
Punch Card
StellaElphick

The latest update to the saga :smileymad:

Our long-awaited tablet returned from Germany today, to which I found it had been returned still broken, with no letter of explanation!  This is after sending a detailed covering letter and also telephoning Medion Electronics last Monday (5th March) for a progress report.  I was told it was currently under repair and they would email me on its return (which they did not do!).

I telephoned Medion again today to express my dissatisfaction with the service; telephone support could offer me no explanation other than they would take the tablet back for repair with greater detail being logged against the job this time.  I fail to see how the detail I included in my letter was not clear enough, to quote:

We have a problem with the micro-B USB port – the pins have lost their mount within the port after just 1 week of normal charging. The tablet no longer charges.

Our project is now seriously impacted due to this problem!  We are due to present a webinar on Wednesday 21st March on our experiences using these tablets in a teaching and learning environment and unfortunately at this point we are considering demanding a refund so we can buy something more reliable in what little time we have left.  Just to recap the timeline:

13 February - Received Lenovo tablets

22 February - Sent a Lenovo tablet for warranty repair

5 March - Telephoned Medion for progress report

12 March - Received Lenovo tablet back - unrepaired!

Who do we contact for escalation?  Is there a chance we could have a new replacement sent out to us immediately or will we be better to ask for a refund?

Stella

802.11n
is1981

I would not send a detailed letter addressed to technical service staff outlining what you think it is broken on that tablet, just a brief note quickly saying that the "micro USB port on the tablet is broken, so this slate will not charge using the provided PSU."

They have perhaps get lost with so many details.  A brief note would be more helpful.

Punch Card
StellaElphick

Thanks sobrado, however I only wrote in the letter what I quoted in my post.  As you can see, it wasn't much more elaborate than your suggestion.  This presumably would accompany the note collected during the warranty telephone call.  Despite all of this tech support apparently made no attempt to test the device, e.g. by switching it on, as the battery is still completely discharged.
:smileyfrustrated:
Stella

sobrado wrote:

I would not send a detailed letter addressed to technical service staff outlining what you think it is broken on that tablet, just a brief note quickly saying that the "micro USB port on the tablet is broken, so this slate will not charge using the provided PSU."

They have perhaps get lost with so many details.  A brief note would be more helpful.