Support in other languages: 
jiv
802.11n
jiv

Re: Warranty refused : broken USB port

shineliang wrote:

how do you backup your data when the micro sub pin is broken? I tried bluetooth. It didn't work. Thanks.

I have a sd card. But i want to back up the whole system.

Either use the full sized USB port, upload the necessary files to a cloud server, or e-mail everyhing to yourself.

Punch Card
StellaElphick

Hi,

Latest update.  Lenovo Customer Complaints telephoned me this morning to discuss the status of my warranty repair.  The tablet is currently in Germany and I need it to be in Colchester!  

I can understand now how the tablet is still in a state of disrepair in the wrong country - what I still do not understand is why this was permitted to happen.

• I was given the wrong telephone number for Lenovo Technical Support by my nearest Lenovo approved Warranty Service Provider.

• Lenovo Technical Support failed to recognise that my device wasn't supported by their department despite taking the machine type and serial number.  The device was consequently sent to Medion repair centre in Germany.

• Medion repair centre failed to inform me they do not support the device when I telephoned for a repair status update.

• Medion repair centre failed to communicate in an accompanying letter when they returned the unrepaired tablet to me that they do not support this device.

• Medion repair centre failed to acknowledge on their customer database that they do not support my device, so when I telephoned to query why it had been sent back unrepaired they simply organised for the courier to collect it again.

• I only discovered that the device had been sent to the wrong repair centre when a staff member on this forum (svano) spotted the error 5 days ago.  The warranty case has been handled by Lenovo Technical Support for the past 4 weeks!

I have been told by Lenovo Customer Complaints that for legal reasons they cannot organise the transfer from Germany to the Colchester repair centre, I would need to send the tablet to Colchester when it returns from Germany, so I told them I want a refund.  I have since been informed the refund will take longer than the repair! :smileysad:

Further details have been published on our project blog.

Serial Port
JLLBVS

When I read all these posts, I feel rather lucky.

If I don't take into account the long delay and other little problems (TPT "lost" a few days, TPT sent to Germany, wrong shipping addresses...) I am really satisfied with the repairs Lenovo made on my tablet. Result first.

But Lenovo seems to have different attitudes considering the country in which the tablet was sent for repair.

Strange policy (policies) ?

Regards,

Jean-Louis L.
Thinkpad A31p - T42p - T61p - TP Tablet
Paper Tape
jeff_n

I've also just had warranty refused. 

Bought the thinkpad in Australia, currently in China so went through the international warrantee service.

The usb connector had become looser and looser over the last months, before it finally became so loose the usb cord pushed the entire connector into the thinkpad. (so unable to charge)

Trying to explain that this was a well known problem, and how this occurred was of no help. The Lenovo servicing engineer claimed it broke from mistreatment (not true) and that I would have to pay to have it fixed.

Furthermore, the servicing engineer suggested I try charging it from the standard usb port on the side of the tablet. My understanding is that the Thinkpad powers this port, and will not receive power to charge the battery from this port. I am willing to give this a try, but I am worried it will damage the tablets internal. Can anyone provide advice as to this?

Together with the trig pen lacking responsiveness in parts of the tablets screen, I have been very disappointed on this product. 

jiv
802.11n
jiv

jeff_n wrote:

Bought the thinkpad in Australia, currently in China so went through the international warrantee service.

The usb connector had become looser and looser over the last months, before it finally became so loose the usb cord pushed the entire connector into the thinkpad. (so unable to charge)

Trying to explain that this was a well known problem, and how this occurred was of no help. The Lenovo servicing engineer claimed it broke from mistreatment (not true) and that I would have to pay to have it fixed.

Furthermore, the servicing engineer suggested I try charging it from the standard usb port on the side of the tablet. My understanding is that the Thinkpad powers this port, and will not receive power to charge the battery from this port. I am willing to give this a try, but I am worried it will damage the tablets internal. Can anyone provide advice as to this?

Together with the trig pen lacking responsiveness in parts of the tablets screen, I have been very disappointed on this product. 

I don't think the full sized USB port on any device is capable of taking in power. This just shows the level of professionalism of Lenovo's service staff.

WWAN
pghFL

[ Edited ]

jeff_n wrote:

Did you try your elevating the issue. You can give links, etc. Be VERY persistent. Do not give up and don't take no as their answer but be friendly. Easier to get them to cooperate.

===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Fanfold Paper
bssorrell

As of today my tpt has been in repair for half the time I have owned it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted from my Asus ep121 tablet

WWAN
pghFL

You have no idea how much this saddens me or on how many levels. Lenovo had an amazing opportunity...
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Fanfold Paper
Bludragn

[ Edited ]

Had the same problem on my tablet with the USB where the plastic insert broke loose and slid inside.  After reading everything here I decide to fix it myself.  Working for a circuit board manufacturer, I just took the unit apart and under magnification inspected the plastic part of the USB connector.  Appeared it is not very well secured to the metal casing.  I pushed the plastic tab back into its location, bent down the metal tabs some more.  I then plugged the power back in and moved the cord around until it start charging.  At that point I held the cord in position and added UV Epoxy to the back side of the connector and all around the metal device.  After applying the UV light to the connector, everything was solid.  I plugged and unplugged the cord in many times and every time it started charging.  Seems to me for a hard connection point like this there should have been an epoxy strain relief applied to the connector to strengthen it.

Not saying everyone should do this to fix their unit but the epoxy worked for me which did not have to be UV but that is what I had.

Fanfold Paper
coyttl

Just curious - Did we ever get a serial number range of those affected? I have a Oct 2011-built one (I *think*, I'm not actually 100%) - it's been in storage until April, when I actually started using it at work. So far I haven't had any issues with it, but the USB does feel loose, and the power button feels 'soft'. They both still work. (I got a dock a couple weeks ago, because of the slow charging issue..) But, if mine's one of the affected ones, I'd like to have it addressed before warranty's up, of course. :smileyhappy: --Mike.