Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
AirWar

WiFi reconnection problems

The most frequent problem I get with the TPT is WiFi connectivity. It simply seems to fail when it wakes up from standby. The only solution seems to be to turn off the WiFi and then switch it back on.

I couldn't see a post that was exactly like this so I thought I had better highlight it. We have a number of these tablets on test at the moment and they all exhibit the same issue. We also have a number of Wireless routers to test it against and it is always the same.

I should also point out that I have seen this occasionally on the Asus Transformer but only infrequently.

Is this one of the known issues hopefully being addressed?

Punch Card
paulwhtd

Re: WiFi reconnection problems

Take a look at your wireless router. I have a couple of Acer netbooks that do the same thing coming out of sleep mode and it's the routers fault. Everything else worked fine.

Update to latest router firmware anyway

Punch Card
gillan

"Update to latest router firmware anyway"

This is an answer I expect from a typical support employee... ))-:

You cannot give such advise 'cause it's irresponsible! Imagine this user is anexperienced and now do update his firmware. But now he got a lot of trouble with his other wireless devices. Also his wife with her nice new ipad cannot access WLAN anymore... (-;

No, the only way is TPT improvement. Nothing else.

What do you expect from a business WLAN device like TPT? Suggesting the system administrators in companies "Please update your WLAN-ACCESS point firmware?????

I got the same problems with WLAN reconnection here in Germany with a likely different WLAN router.

It is finally absolut frustrating to buy a business device which is not be able to provide basic relaiability and smooth operation. To blame Google for the laggy TPT is far too easy. Laggy games? No problem. It's a business tablet...

Punch Card
mithrandir1

Gillian, normally I would fully agree with you, that this is a typical support answer, but I used openwrt on my wifi router, and had the same problem, after reverting to dd-wrt the problem was gone!

Punch Card
paulwhtd

I know I shouldn't, but I'll bite:

"Update to latest router firmware anyway"
This is an answer I expect from a typical support employee... ))-:"

That's because it's the right answer

"You cannot give such advise 'cause it's irresponsible! Imagine this user is anexperienced and now do update his firmware. But now he got a lot of trouble with his other wireless devices. Also his wife with her nice new ipad cannot access WLAN anymore... (-;

No, the only way is TPT improvement. Nothing else."

Nope, they should chuck the router in the trash and buy a newer model. Don't even bother to troubleshoot the issue if the existing router is more that 2 years old.

"What do you expect from a business WLAN device like TPT? Suggesting the system administrators in companies "Please update your WLAN-ACCESS point firmware?????"

That's exactly what I would suggest, that's why we have sys admins. The firmware should all be up to date anyway unless there's a very good reason for them not to be.

"I got the same problems with WLAN reconnection here in Germany with a likely different WLAN router.
It is finally absolut frustrating to buy a business device which is not be able to provide basic relaiability and smooth operation. To blame Google for the laggy TPT is far too easy. Laggy games? No problem. It's a business tablet..."

I think your frustrations might just come from your inability to correctly troubleshot the problem. Take it down to Starbucks and see if you have the same problem there.

Punch Card
gillan

I'm a sys admin my good old paulwhtd...

...and if an employee like you come to me with such problems I would think "your frustrations might just come from your inability to correctly troubleshot the problem" . But I would never change my well runnig system because of a brand new hardware which is in beta status...

Fanfold Paper
rob_p

Hi - just to chime in: I have similar issues - often stalls on 'obtaining IP address' during connection after awake from sleep (or when connecting to a different network after changing locations)

At home easy to address with a router reset (a pain though).

At work was only able to connect to the secured wifi once, and then issues as above since.  Updating firmware or resetting router is not an option (large educational institution) - is there a way to address this from the TPT end? (connecting to unsecured work network is fine, though).

(not a networking person,  but I find it strange that this is a network issue and not a TPT one - surely other similar devices are not having the same issue.?.)

Suggestions?

Punch Card
allquixotic

Step 1: Read http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/571-wi-fi-beamforming-networking.html

Step 2: Orient your TPT in different ways, holding it stable in space and trying to touch it as little as possible with your fingers (keep a stable grip, but don't lay your hands along the edges because that's where the wifi antennae are)

3. Find the way that works properly, and notice that when you orient it another way, the signal is terrible or drops completely. One way to test this is to install a Terminal Emulator app on your TPT, and ping a reliable client on the LAN (e.g. an ethernet-wired desktop computer):

$ ping -c10 192.168.1.100

You should get 0% packet loss, and if it's a wired device on the LAN created directly on the same device as your access point, your latency should be well under 100 ms. If you get any packet loss or latencies higher than 100 ms, you've probably got signal polarization problems, and your wifi access point / router is too cheap to handle it properly.

Solution: Invest $1000 and get a business-class Cisco or Ruckus access point (you probably don't need the full Router functionality; you can reliably connect the AP to a consumer-class router over gigabit ethernet). DO NOT buy Linksys, D-Link, or any other consumer-grade wifi AP. They simply do not work.

Most consumer devices are designed to "just work" most of the time. This is not so for WiFi (802.11). The design of WiFi is inherently flawed, and consumer devices are shipped with severe limitations to cut costs. The ONLY way to receive reliable WiFi signal regardless of device orientation, and with significant resilience against interference, contention and polarization, is to invest heavily in an expensive infrastructure device (WiFi AP or router) from an enterprise-grade networking vendor, which doesn't cut corners.

Lenovo clearly did cut corners very heavily on the client-side for the wifi on the Thinkpad Tablet, but you can ameliorate this to some extent by having a high-end, enterprise-grade AP.

The only other solution would be to convince Lenovo to add more and better quality wifi antennas to the TPT to combat polarization, or support explicit beamforming negotiation, but this would be a feature for the TPT 2.0, not a software push or something you could upgrade yourself on the hardware.

For now if you want reliable networking that Just Freaking Works, most of the time you can achieve this using Bluetooth. Bluetooth may share the 2.4 GHz spectrum with WiFi, but it doesn't share the flawed 802.11 protocol design. Try configuring your laptop as a Bluetooth PAN (how to do this depends on your OS) and, keeping the TPT within a reasonable distance from the laptop, you should be able to get several Megabits consistently in both directions with low latency. It's not going to have nearly as high throughput as WiFi is capable of achieving, but you will have reliability.

Token Ring
rickinoz

I had this problem with mine too.

I'm not a sysadmin but my digging suggested that while the WLAN connection is "dropped", my router kept some memory of it or there was some persistence of the connection. Then when powering on I suspect the TPT requests a new IP address, but the router gets confused since it still thinks the TPT already has a connection and is expecting it to communicate on the previously allocated IP address.

A workaround that seemed to produce better results for me was to get the router to reserve an IP address for the TPT and get the TPT to always use this. (i.e disable automatic DHCP).